TCCI Powder

loademwell

I have two 5 lbs jugs of this.
The jugs look like they have been out in someones garage for many years. But the labels are still legible. But I can't seem to find ANY info on this powder and what it is used for. EXCEPT FOR: On the jug, it says "Smokeless Rifle Powder" Oh and it says (the only bad part) ether T-870 or H-870 Or (scary thought here) one says the T and the other one is H. Kind of lost. Anyone know anything about this stuff?

rg1

Probably surplus powder either pulled down from military ammo or surplus never loaded. Sold by Thunderbird Cartridge Company Inc. for loading the big 50BMG cartridge. Normal load ranges for 50BMG is from 200-230 grains depending on the bullet used and note that surplus powder varies in burn rate. One lot may be slow and another faster. Loads HAVE to be worked up carefully. TCCI can use a T letter for H870 powder. Some have tried this powder in large magnum rifles other than the 50BMG. Use the standard smell test and eyeball test to check for powder deterioration. Plus if you can't verify it's H870 then it's only good for fertilizing your yard. Surplus powders are sold in various style jugs and relabeled by the seller. Usually in 8 lb. jugs like these:https://www.google.com/search?q=thu...om%2Fauction%2Fdetail.asp%3Fid%3D5019;700;525

Last edited:
Ditto and double ditto to checking smell (avoid acrid, acid smell), oiled appearance, and shake some onto a white sheet of paper, pour it carefully back into the jug and look for any red dust left behind and to make sure the grains don't try to clump or stick to the paper. All are signs of deterioration. The problem with deterioration is the powders can go through a phase, before they weaken, where the acid byproducts of the breakdown eat at the deterrent coatings first. This leaves you with a faster burn rate than the powder is normally supposed to have, and it has blown guns up before. Powder with any sign of breakdown, as Rg1 said, can be spread around the lawn to fertilize it.

The reason I'm expressing concern about breakdown is that it is very temperature dependent, and powder left in a garage is a prime candidate for having become too warm—repeatedly.