TC Omega question???

TCman

This deer season I have been shooting my TC Omega .50. Im shooting 150 gr. 777 pellets and 250 gr TC bonded shockwave superglide sabots. Im wanting to try shooting loose 777 powder. My question is can I shoot 150 gr. of loose powder and still be safe? Does anybody thint the loose powder will be any more accurate?

arcticap

You would definitely not be following safe loading recommendations if you loaded 150 grains of loose 777.
Loose 777 loadings should be reduced by about 15% volume to equal loads of other loose ffg powders, especially when shooting 777 fffg due to it's higher pressure. Others have mentioned that their loads start to lose accuracy beyond 120 grains or so of loose 777.

According to Hodgen, loose 777 is more potent than the 777 pellets so you can use less powder to obtain the same velocity (approximately 10 grains or 10% less when comparing the velocity of 80 grains loose 777 to 90 grains of 777 in pellet form):

50 CALIBER POWDER MEASURE SETTING TRIPLE SEVEN FFG (loose powder)
240 Gr. Hdy. XTP 50/44

70 GR. 80 GR. 90 GR. 100 GR.
1633 1703 1806 1883
-----------------
240 Gr. Hdy. XTP 50/44 with pellets

80 grains One 50 cal. / 50 gr. + One 50 cal. / 30 gr. 1613
90 grains Three 50 cal. / 30 gr. 1691
100 grains Two 50 cal. / 50 gr. 1801

Data:
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/muzzlelo...ifle-sabot.php

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/muzzlelo...ts/50sabot.php

maine bucks

Triple Seven

I use the triple seven in my Thompson Greyhawk shooting a 240grain TC
shockwave sabot. Great accuracy and plenty of knockdown power!
I use the pellets in my Omega but never used the loose powder but it should be the same. I use 100 grains in the Greyhawk and I have it sighted in for 2 inches high at 50 yards. Tight groups up to 5 shots!

BigV

Loose powder will result in better consistency and accuracy. If you measure loose powder correctly you will load the same amount each time. Pellets are more of a convenience than anything else and can be as much as 10% off by weight. That difference can affect accuracy. With that said, during hunting situations the convenience of pellets (in my opinion) out weighs the advantages of loose powder. Typical hunting situations require shots in the 50 to 75 yard range. At that distance you most likely would not see much difference in accuracy between pellets and loose powder.

If I am at the range for a day of shooting, I use loose powder (pyrodex) as it is much cheaper than pellets. During hunting however I opt for the convenience (and faster re-loads) of pellets.