TC Encore or Contender .45-70

chewie146

Hey all,

I have a .45-70 handi-rifle that I love to shoot. Now, I know that the encore and the contender are made in .45-70, but which one should I get. It will be the handgun version, and I will be mainly using light loads in it, such as the cowboy action loads that use Unique. I shoot those in my handi-rifle now, and they're a lot of fun. Is there going to be a big difference between the encore and the contender as far as strength? What are the differences? Is there a big weight difference? Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Ben

P.S. Please stick to .45-70. I know I can get the same performance with a .45 colt and a .44 magnum on the same platforms, but I want information on the .45-70. I have the reloading equipment, etc, for that cartridge.

Hammerhead

There's going to be a big difference in weight. With the .45 calibers, Contender barrels are very thin walled, very light.

An Encore will have more reasonable weight to it. I had a 12" taper barrel Encore in .44 mag that was just right in weight. My friends Contender in .44 mag and .45 Colt is too light for my tastes, even with reduced loads.

I would recommend the Encore with a tapered barrel for the .45-70. It will have less recoil and will handle heavier loads if you ever want to bump up your loads.

Noreaster

I bought the G2. I didn't like the trigger pull length on the Encore. For me the G2 was a better fit. I just got the 14 inch 45/70 with muzzle tamer. I'll let you know how it shoots.

OkieCruffler

Recoil in a 45-70 Contender isn't that horrible and the trigger is much better than the encore. Plus the Encore is this big clumbsy thing.

44 AMP

Staff
I have a fairly old Contender frame and a 14" barrel. I shoot 400gr cast with the factory duplication load from an old Lyman manual.

Its heavy, and a tad awkward for a one hand gun, and the recoil is stout. But muzzle flip is a lot less than the 10" octagon .44 Mag barrel I have.

With plinker loads, the .45-70 is a hoot, and the recoil is mild.

jrothWA

Recommend....

the Encore as its more current production and support.

Have a 1978 Contender, part are running low and no current barrels made, have to go custom.

chewie146

So, is there any way, short of a custom that I can get a .45-70 with open sights. It's not that I don't think the contender is good to scope distances, it's just that I have no experience with scoped pistols other than a .44, and really did not like it. If custom is my only option, which barrel manufacturer would be the best and/or cheapest. All opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Ben

aaalaska

I have both and like them ,but the contender is my favorite.The encore will take much heavier loads. Unless your going for Grizz or cape buf I see no reason for it.As I've said in the past my middle son took his first moose ,a cow,with the contender 45/70 and a light load pushing a 300 gr cast bullet, the bullet broke ribs on both sides and the off side shoulder ,and was not recovered. A few years ago I shot a small black bear with a heavy load through the Encore, I had this load because of the grizz in the area,but must say it was way more than needed.
The contender is lighter and has a better trigger from the factory, and while the original is no longer made, there are so many out there you should be able to find any factory barrel you desire.Check out the specialty pistols forum, there is a wide choice there.

Hammerhead

I'll second Match Grade Machine, they built two barrels for me, very pleased and it only took 4 and 5 weeks from order to delivery.

Gunbroker has a lot of used barrels as well as Ed's. The classifieds over at Specialty Pistols Forum is another good place to look/ask.

I guess I'm a recoil wimp, but my Encore had a great trigger. Not two pounds or less like most Contenders, but just right for a hunting handgun IMO, about 4 pounds and clean. I don't like super light triggers on hunting guns, I can't feel them as well in winter with cold, gloved hands. With the Pachmayr grips and a custom 9" barrel, it handled very well.

Last edited:

chewie146

All the .45-70 factory barrels I seem to find have the muzzle tamer system on them. I'm not a fan of brakes, mainly because of noise. Also they have no irons. I'll check out those other sites, though. Thanks!

Noreaster

I ran into the same problem. I just bought a barrel and I'm having a smith drill and tap the front sight for me, about $55.00. I know the custom shop is not up and running at TC right now.

OkieCruffler

Even if the custom shop was running you'd be better off going with one of the custom builders. T/C had just about priced themselves out of the barrel market. Trying to think if I've ever seen a 45/70 that wasn't a hunter. Never really paid much attention, my big bore craving runs more to the .444. :D

chewie146

I'm thinking custom may be the way to go, unless I can find someone who didn't like their barrel and pick a used one up. I've heard there are problems with the pin that attaches the barrel to the frame (hinge pin) being too small in some cases. I've heard of adjustable pins for this reason. Are these necessary very often?

OkieCruffler

I've had dozens of different barrels and never had one that needed a different hinge pin. The colsest I've had was a Bullberry that was extremely tight but still more than manageable. Alot of people will state that an oversize pin will give greater accuracy, I've never had a barrel that couldn't outshoot me so I've never bothered.

Stevie-Ray

Mine is a Super 16 barrel with full sights for my Contender, but it's tapered. Far too light for anything but the factory 405 gr loads and the like. I recommend a bull barrel in anything that's .45-70. 300 gr factory Remingtons, for example have horrendous recoil and will shatter your nerves within a few rounds, with a tapered barrel. Mine needed to be Magnaported, but it still didn't help much.