TC Contender Prices and Thoughts

n3twrkm4n

Wanted to hear from everyone how they liked their Contender... was looking at a few today and they looked like nice firearms. Wondering what a good price range is to find them for and how much luck you've had with them. I know they are a simple design and my brother-in-law used to own one but I never got the chance to fire it.

I see they come in 45/70 as well... I'm to assume they kick a lot?

Thanks in advance.

Lawyer Daggit

Are you interested in the Pistol or carbine? I own a carbine and am very fond of it- it is light and accurate and definitely a 'keeper'. I have barrels in .22LR, .223 and .30-30 Ackley Improved.

My only criticism is that I wish that the take down method was more shotgun like with a lever to remove the forend. Knocking out a hinge pin in the field as a recipe to loose parts.

I have never fired a .45/70 barrel, but if I ever come across one on my travels will buy it.

Ozzieman

Here is a good place to check prices

http://www.gunsamerica.com/

They are good guns, well built and very storng.
As far as 45/70 kicking a lot I dont know but I bought a used one that came with a 30-30 barrel (pistole) and I thought it would kick a lot, actualy some HOT hand loads in 44 mag kicked a lot more. There just not enought barrel length to burn all that powder.
The 44 mag I have had friends standing near me that when they heard it go off first thought that the gun blew up, the concussion from them can be that massive, and they gun will take it all day long. These are the max Contender loads in loading books. Thats the main thing with contenders, there a hand loaders dream gun.

JBP

I've had my Contender pistol for over 10 years and I reallly like being able to swap barrels to get basically a different firearm with every one. Currently I have barrels in .17 HMR, .22 Hornet, .204 Ruger. .222, .223, 30/30, 35 Remington, and .375 Winchester. Barrels are supposed to be compatible with the older frames and the new G2 frame but I had to send my .17 HMR and .204 Ruger barrels back to T/C to have them make a conversion to my 2nd generation frame. The .204 Ruger is OK now but I'm still having problems with the .17HMR.

308LAW

The worst kicking one I shot was either a 44mag or a 357 maximum, both worse than a 30-30. Never fired a 45-70 though.

n3twrkm4n

Thanks for all the information, I'm mainly interested in the pistol version. I have the capabilities to reload but I only reload for my main guns... 44mag, and 22-250. Just to 'save' a little money but I would definately buy dies for the kit if I bought a contender.

Thanks again and keep the info comin if you got it. I was mainly looking for a contender in a higher powered rifle calibre. but I heard that you can buy different barrels for it. I picked up a catalog for one at my gun shop so I need to sit down and browse through it.

JBP

I was mainly looking for a contender in a higher powered rifle calibre. but I heard that you can buy different barrels for it.
If you want the high powered calibers then you need the T/C Encore, not the Contender. You can get barrels for everything that is offered for the Contender plus all of the other calibers.

n3twrkm4n

I just noticed that when I was flipping through the catalog... My mistake. Either way maybe I'll buy both! heh... can never have too many guns

X-RAY

I have a contender 14" stainless barrel, with a muzzle brake,6x to 9x thompson scope with a bi-pod and a 1 1/2 lb trigger in .223. It's your basic wrist rocket. Shoots 100-150 yds all day long. The muzzle brake gives it a heck of a bang at the bench. Sort of sounds like an 30-06. It will also clear the bench of any small items that you dont secure !!!

OkieCruffler

Mine has actually put a stop to my C&R buying. Bought a 357 a few years ago for $300. Then came the 44mag barrel, then the 223, then the 30-30AI, then the 44 was rechambered to 444, then the 7tcu, then the 41 mag, then the 22 mag and the 45/410, then the .256, and yesterday I picked up a 22 hornet and soon I'll add a 6.5 tcu. All the barrels have been more than adaquate. The .223 shoots 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100yrds. Most shoot under an inch. The only one that really kicks is the triple four, it'll get your attention right quick.

n3twrkm4n

I like attention getters... and something that is as versatile as the Contender and Encore. Seem like great weapons now I just have to decide between a new rifle or a new pistol, the decisions are sometimes tough :D