Taylors 1892 in 45 colt

mikejonestkd

Good day all. I have the opportunity to pick up a 10 to 15 year old 1892, full length rifle with an octagonal barrel. Action has been slicked up a bit for cowboy shooting. It has a nice tang mounted sight- I believe its a Marbles.

Any word on the build quality for Taylor's rifles? Anything I need to be on the lookout for when I go to inspect it?

Crunchy Frog

Taylor’s & Company is an importer. Most of their firearms come from Italy. Not sure who makes the 1892 they sell; it may be a Chiappa. Probably better than one of the Brazilian ‘92 reproductions.

The ‘92s are good rifles. Not as popular with top cowboy shooters as the “toggle link” 1873 and 1866 which can be made to run really fast.

mikejonestkd

After some internet research t seems it may be a chiappa, is there any way to tell?
The seller is looking for $600 for it. seems like a deal, as they are 1400 list on the website.

anything that i need to look at that might be a potential problem?

mehavey

If it has been slicked up by Taylors' gunsmith after-the-fact ("Taylor-Tuned"), they are jewels....

Scorch

Taylor's 1892s are made by Chiappa. They are very solid, a replica of the Winchester 1892, not a clone, so it has flat mainspring and US screw thread pitch. Pretty good gun except for the quality of the wood. $600 is a heck of a deal, they sell for $1200-1400 new.

If it's a Uberti, they have coil mainsprings, firing pin safety, and metric screws.

Howdy

I cannot tell you who makes the 1892 replicas sold by Taylors, but it is not Uberti.

Uberti makes replicas of the toggle link rifles; the 1860 Henry, 1866 Winchester, and 1873 Winchester.

They also make a replica of the 1886 Winchester.

But they do not make a replica of the 1892 Winchester. Never have.

I had a Rossi replica of the 1892 Winchester for a short while. It was a little bit rough, but would have responded well to a bit of slicking up. I won it in a raffle and turned around and sold it. Used the cash as a down payment on my Uberti 1860 Henry.

po7ne77gj

I like the Winchester Model 1892 design. It is lighter and stronger than the toggle link rifles. This one is chambered for 44-40 and left the factory in 1897. I used it for a few years in CAS.

poPDcamXj

This 44-40 saddle ring carbine left the factory in 1918.

pnzQkU8pj

This 32-20 Model 1892 left the factory in 1911.

pllgDhN7j

It's an interesting thing. Years ago in the Cowboy Action world Chiappa had a bad reputation. Lots of instances of poor workmanship, and no after market parts that would fit them. These days I am hearing much more favorable things about Chiappa. Maybe their quality has gone up over the years, but they used to have a reputation of being definitely inferior to Uberti. The Chiappa 1873 rifles in particular.

Crunchy Frog

It's an interesting thing. Years ago in the Cowboy Action world Chiappa had a bad reputation. Lots of instances of poor workmanship, and no after market parts that would fit them. These days I am hearing much more favorable things about Chiappa. Maybe their quality has gone up over the years, but they used to have a reputation of being definitely inferior to Uberti. The Chiappa 1873 rifles in particular.
Driftwood, I believe you may be remembering the Chaparral rifles.