Taylor "Old Randall" .45 Colt

Rifletom

Just ordered a Taylor "Old Randall" yesterday. It has a matte type finish to it that is actually pleasing, unlike some others I've seen. Brass frame and trigger guard, walnut grips, 5.5" barrel and Taylor tuned action. Can't wait to pair this one with my Pietta "Gunfighter" in .45 Colt. You guys know much about these?
I'm still a bit new to the 1873 clones. But, they sure seem well built. Thanks.

Piranha451

I have a Taylor Smoke Wagon and like it very much. Their pistols are made by Uberti to their specs. I sprung for the Taylor Tuned option as well. I do not think you will be disappointed!

You guys know much about these?

I don't know anything about that model, but I can tell you the Colt Single Action Army was never manufactured with a brass trigger guard and backstrap.

I'm sure it looks nice, but it is not a replica of anything that came out of the Colt factory.

A matte blued finish like that is usually done to keep the cost of manufacturing down, it costs a bit more to give steel the high polish necessary for a standard blued finish.

Not casting any aspersions, just answering your question.

Jim Watson

There have been these economy finish revolvers for some time. Just a new label.
I don't know why they get brass straps, though. Cheaper to work?

Stophel

Some people just like brass. Personally, I am not one of them.

I keep toying with ordering one of the Taylor "gunfighters" with the long Army grip frame (can't stand the stubby handle). I may finally break down one day and do it.

shurshot

I have the Uberti El Patron in .45, no brass, but the trigger is amazing. Uberti does a very nice job on these. Accurate too.

I don't know why they get brass straps, though. Cheaper to work?

As a raw material, brass is more expensive than steel. However it can be die cast fairly easily, and being softer than steel it is probably less expensive to machine. Millers can probably be run at higher feed rates and revolutions, which in turn cuts down on the time to machine a brass part over a similar steel part. Time is money. Here is a photo of the brass trigger guard and backstrap of my old Uberti brass framed 'Navy' cap & ball revolver. A parting line can clearly be seen on the inside of the backstrap, indicating where the two halves of the mold met.

poSjCzeEj

Steel is not easy to die cast, I suspect steel parts need to be hammer forged before machining.