Tavor - why so many on Gunbroker?

Skans

Boy, no one is buying Tavors! There are tons of them listed on gunbroker with no bids. Looks like dealers may get stuck trying to unload these things. I might just snipe one if the price gets well below $1K. Dreaming? Maybe.

gilfo

I don't think many people can afford that much for a gun. As a matter of fact I might get one at the next gun show if I can have them match Buds price.

redhologram

We got two back in 2014 (early part of the year and then latter part of the year) and about to pick up an X95. I think the X95's have made the needed improvements on the SAR's.

Jo6pak

I think a lot of shooters jumped at the chance to buy them. And then found out that they weren't all they were hyped up to be.
I got a chance to get some range time with one a few weeks ago, and was thoroughly un-impressed by just about everything it offered...and I donlt think I'm alone in that assessment.
There are those out there that love them, but I think there are just as many who were disappointed.

ttarp

I think a lot of shooters jumped at the chance to buy them. And then found out that they weren't all they were hyped up to be.

^This, the Tavor brings very little to the table that the AUG didn't almost 40 years ago, and lacks the more comfortable ergos of the AUGs stock, and modularity as well. It has more rail space, and takes AR mags, (AUGs have a stock for that too) but thats about it.

Don't take me wrong, I like to see more bullpups out there, and there are tons of folks as happy as can be with them, but it was way overhyped.

9x19

I've never been a fan of bull pups, and the Tavor does nothing to change that.

Cheaper to SBR a S&W Sport than get a Tavor.

Dirty_Harry

I'll come to the Tavors defense. I love mine. If parts were more readily available it would be my go to war gun. It's solid, utterly reliable and handy. I really like the ergos and prefer it to the newer X95.

I thinks that's why there are so many on gunbroker, people are unloading the sars to get an X95.

Theohazard

Dirty Harry said:
I thinks that's why there are so many on gunbroker, people are unloading the sars to get an X95.
This.

Tavors were pretty popular until the X95 was announced. After that, sales dwindled while people waited for the new version to come out. Now that it's out, we can't get enough X95s to meet demand.

The only reason there are so many old Tavors on Gunbroker is because everyone wants the new version.

9x19

Everyone? :p

I'd be willing to sell my "X95 want" to someone else... sorta like a "seat-license" at pro sports venues. :D

ttarp

Sort of, its the bastardized version of the Micro Tavor they're importing now. Basically they made it insignificantly shorter, added more options for handguards, changed the stock contours a little, and made the controls more AR like.

rallyhound

A quick check on Gunbroker shows 100 at $1749.00 with no bids.
several x95's for the same price with no bids.

The only one with a bid is a tan one at 900.00 right now with one bid.

Bart Noir

The X95 has a much better trigger than the original Tavor. I'd say it is at least as good as the trigger which comes on lower cost AR models.

The redo which made the X95 from the Tavor also moved the cocking handle back off the handguards, to a position above the firing hand. This makes it easier to mount lights and lasers on the X95, since both sides are available now.

Bart Noir

Erno86

It's just to loud, for my liking, especially if I'm set-up on the firing line next to one, that doesn't have a suppressor --- Same goes for other SBR's.

A young member of MSSA who is in the Marine Reserves recently bought the IVI (?) bullpup .223. I had never handled any bullpup.

Other than the large post sight (or short sight distance) and Very Tight trigger, it seems like a good gun. The trigger design must be for young Israelis who had never handled any gun before military training.

The young Marine really likes his, and paid about $1300 for it.

USMCGrunt

I think it's mainly a price thing that keeps people away combined with the unfamiliar manual of arms of a bullpup that keeps people from buying them. I got mine a couple years ago and I love my Tavor. Matter of fact, my M-4gery musket doesn't see all that much use these days. Bullpups tend to be butt-heavy and if you try to use it in a conventional manner say from a high port ready position, it's going to be slow and awkward but a 2-point sling carried in a modern muzzle low ready makes for a very fast carbine to handle. There's a learning curve to bullpups and the Tavor but once you get used to them, they are pretty decent rifles.