Taurus

meat

Why does it seem that most serious revolver enthusuiasts dont' like taurus revolvers? They do seem to be making more "modern" revolver designs and trying out some new and interesting concepts. But from reading through past posts here, it seems that they are not liked very much and that the quality of their revolvers are questioned and that most serious revolver lovers either go w/ S&W and Ruger. Would most of you agree or disagree w/ this?

braindead0

Depends on how you define Most. Part of the problem is that folks who have no strong feelings on one side of the issue are not very likely to 'chime in' on it.

My wife has a Taurus and loves it, I have several friends with a variety of 'Taurii' and they all love them.. I've fired most of my friends and they are plenty good.

So, out of my personal experience, there's 8 or so very good Taurus revolvers and 0 bad ones.

So there's my experienc.

your mileage may vary.

charleym3

I only have 1 Taurus. Model 94. I shoot it frequently. Except for the absolutely horrible DA trigger, it is a very well made tool. I bought it because it was significantly less expensive than the comperable S&W. It has never missed a beat and the trigger problem was solved by cutting two loops out of the main spring. What's not to like.

OTOH, I've seen several Turus autos that wouldn't run at all. As always YMMV.

JBP

I've had a Model 65 (.357 Mag) for a number of years that has functioned flawlessly and a Model 85CH (.38 spl) that I finally found ammo (148gr LSWC) for that shoots to POA. Biggest gripe that I have with Taurus is their resale value; there isn't any. I had a PT-100 (40 S&W) that I could not even get a bid on no matter where I tried to sell it (and I priced it fair & threw in extra mags and a speed loader). Take a look at the auction sites and see how many bids there are for a Taurus compared to a similar model in S&W or Ruger.

CANIS

I've owned 4 Tauri. The latest (And my current carry gun) is a .44 Special snubby in Titanium (445t). The gun is great. It groups well, is fun to shoot and is so lightweight you can carry it all day and forget it's there unless you need it!.

I put 250 rounds through it on Sunday and it keeps amazing me. The recoil is more of a straight shove back. There is no muzzle flip to speak of due to the porting and what recoil you do get is absorbed by the great grips. I was shooting 240 grain sjhp and 240 gr swc plus some lighter bullet weight stuff and it was all good. Seemd to be more point of aim with the 240 grainer stuff.

I have been happy with all of the Taurus guns I've bought. Resale value does suck, but for the most part, you ALWAYS get soaked when selling a gun unless you get lucky.

I intend to buy more of them. I feel they represent a terrific bang for your buck! I would buy S&W or Colt or ruger too, I just have to look harder to find a good deal on the other makers. I picked up my 445t for $330 bucks NIB.

Canis

dairycreek

Let me tell why I'm not a Taurus fan!

Over the last decade I have purchased six Taurus revolvers NIB. All were either 38 spcl. or 357/38 spcl. When I purchased them I just shot them. Never used reloads only good quality factory ammo. Three of the revolvers performed well and three required that they be sent back to the factory for major adjustments. Taurus warrants their products for life and they were as good as their warranty statement. They did the work and returned the product. In two of the three revolvers the work was not properly done and the revolvers were, once again, returned. And, once again, Taurus did the work. From the time I sent each gun in until I received it back averaged 6-7 weeks. My phone calls asking what was going on often went unanswered. More than once I got an answer that the work was done and that the gun was being shipped that day. But the gun did not arrive as Taurus said it would. I can go on but my personal experience with the company and their products leads me to believe that production quality control and customer service are not very consistent. That is why I am not a Taurus fan and just won't buy any more. Good shooting:)

Brian Williams

I have 2 taurus and 2 S&W

I only have a problem with my 45colt tracker in that the trigger pull is way to heavy.

and that my S&W mod 66 4" has not sold.

cause I want a sistema colt 1911.

22lovr

Owned two....like'em both

I've owned a Taurus Mod 85 Ultralite .38 sp and thought it was an excellent revolver-perfect reliability, accuracy, fine trigger, good ergonomics, and priced reasonably. I currently own a Taurus mod 605 in SS .357 mag. Same story. This one's a keeper.

OkieCruffler

My current daily companion is a Taurus 650 CIA. It's POI is just a hair low of POA at 15yrds, but nothing that bothers me. I do like it better now that I have the Pachmyer boot grips on it. I was thinking hard about adding a Ruger Redhawk to my collection, but that new Taurus Tracker in .45acp sure is tempting.

gbelleh

I have a Taurus 85 UL and it has been great. No problems. I have to admit I do like my S&W revolvers a little better. They seem a little more solid, but there's nothing wrong with the Taurus.

yorec

Never really considered myself a serious revolverman, but after some thought I realized I shoot quite a bit of revolver...

I carry a Taurus 605 .357 mag a lot right now and have had a Taurus 669 for about 10 years and neither have given me a bit of concern.

But then again neither have my Ruger or S&W six guns...

Revovlers are just plain solid guns!

braindead0

Well, there ya go.. Seems that overall their are quite a few satisfied Taurus *revolver* owners (including me). I have yet to hear much in the way of glowing recommendations for Taurus Semi-autos though.

stellarpod

Very mixed bag so far as I'm concerned.

Won't go into it all again here. Do a search under my screen name if your interested.

warhammer357

I bought a used Taurus .44 magnum and a used Ruger .44 magnum at the same time. years later, when I had to sell one to get by ( was unemployed) I sold the Ruger.
The Taurus was not as smooth in the trigger department as my Smith. Its cylinder lock up was not as tight as my Smiths (albiet it was tighter than my Colt Anacondas) but it was still a good shooting gun.
If I had the money there are a couple of Taurus wheelguns I would buy right now, as well as a couple of Smiths, ha ha.
Every maker makes lemons from even the best designs.. Remind me to tell you sometime about the Model 29 with the missing yoke screw....Or the Python that would not lock up... I dont really think Taurus is any worse or better in that regards as the other makers.

jmlv

I currently have 2 tauri and plan to add 2 more

in the coming year. I currently have a PT99 9mm which has never bobles or jammed in 2 thousand rounds of mixed ammo. It just runs and runs. I doubt I will ever part with it its my only "Hi-cap Wondernine" . My other taurus is a model 94 9 shot 22 which is a sweet little "kit gun" Never had any problems with it either although its only had a bit over 2 bricks of walmart 22's through it.
I have a real need these days for a pair of stainless Taurus Trackers in 4" length. I want one in 41 magnum(41 special) and the other in 45 acp. Both should be real fun effective field guns.
I have been recommending the 41 magnum version as a bear gun for so long I figured I better get one myself - just in case the bears want to get even!

JohnK

I have yet to hear much in the way of glowing recommendations for Taurus Semi-autos though.

It's only their NEW autos that suck though braindead0, their older, proven (aka Beretta) design like the PT92/99 serices is awesome. You rarely hear of anyone having problems with those guns. And even with the new ones it seems mostly their polymer frame guns that have all the problems, the alloy ones seem - again just judging from random comments - to be fine.

I've put over 5,000 rounds through my old PT92 without a single feed jam or failure to eject. My Dads PT99 has the same track record over about 2,000 rounds.

bountyh

Taurus needs to get away from the coil manspring design so they won't have stacking problems, light strike misfires, and the rough, stagy trigger pull. The new ones I've seen were not well finished, but the same could be said for a lot of the new SW's out there now.

Kentucky Rifle

I like my wife's Total Ti quite a bit. An all titanium revolver (*or almost) is kinda neat. However, I think I see a consensus building here that points to the "UL" version being the most desirable. I think a lot of my 731UL and the trigger is simply fantastic. I do realize I'm talking about a revolver that was "tweeked and tuned" at the factory before being shipped to me. However, my wife's Total Ti is not far behind in ease of operation. They're both quite nice. I think Tauri are getting nicer.

KR