Taurus UL Police

asp

Traded my backup, pocket J-frame (a Taurus 85 UL) a few weeks ago and missed it, so I picked up an un-fired, hammerless Taurus 85 UL Police (titanium/alloy combo) today. Over the years, I've had many revolvers, but this is my first DAO hammerless. I plan to shoot it tomorrow but thought I'd solicit a few opinions. I love the extremely light weight but am really used to SA/DA. Any of you folks have this gun? Opinions on trigger, performance, etc?
(BTW, I searched the board but didn't see many posts about this particular gun.)

Tom B

I have one that I carry in my pants pocket. I can tell a difference in weight between it and my Taurus 85ULs. It has a better trigger pull than the S&W 340SC that I owned. My problem is I don't like a DAO snub. If you are OK with DAO it's a great revolver.

Greybeard

I special ordered that model a few years back. As I recall it was available then "ported only". Sold it to a CHL student who liked it better than I. At the time I was carrying a Smith 342 which was somewhat lighter and had a better DAO trigger feel. Subsequently sold the 342 in order to purchase new Scandium 340 in .357 and discovered that Taurus trigger was great compared to what was being put out on current crop of Smiths. :barf:

The guy who bought Taurus was somewhat acclimated to short stroke triggers on semi-autos and did have some probs initially during rapid fire strings with 85. Identified pretty quickly that he was not releasing trigger sufficiently between some shots. He has the old "hit age 40 syndrome" and we ordered Crimson Trace laser grips for it as he was really impressed with same after using on my 340 (which still needs more trigger work!).

Factory grips on the recent small Tauri seem to be more "user friendly" recoil-wise than what comes on Smiths.

Acceptable accuracy with both slow and rapid fire strings at 7 yards, which in my view, is about the max. range where most people are efficient with the DAO snubs. Overall, for what it cost and what it did, I was pleased with Model 85. Hope yours works out for ya.

asp

Thanks much for the responses. My initial concern was transitioning between the 85's long DA pull and the snappy trigger on my Kimber. But until recently, I alternated daily carry between Kimber and Glock, so it's probably not terrribly different in terms of transition. My first 85UL in SA/DA offered great accuracy at 7 yards, but I always shot it SA. Guess I'll know later today about this one. Since I passed the 'hit age 40 syndrome' more than a decade ago, the Crimson Trace laser grips have some appeal to me, as well.

You both were right about the trigger. Very nice for a DAO.
I'll need to get used to the longer pull, though. I didn't think the porting was necessary, but it sure stops any flip with +P's. All in all, a very nice snubbie. A good addition.

Last edited: