Taurus Tracker or S&W Mountain Light

roscoe

So, I was pursuaded by some of the fine folks at TFL that a .357 would make a more appropriate backpacking gun than a .22 magnum (in case I am charged by a mastadon). I have been looking at two 7-shot revolvers: the Taurus Tracker and the S&W Mountain Light. They are priced in the same ballpark and and the main differences I can detect are the barrel length (4" for the Taurus and 3 1/8" for the S&W) and that the S&W is a few oz. lighter. S&W politics aside, does anybody have input on which would be more appropriate for toting through the woods?

Thanks,

Roscoe

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The porting on the Tracker negates much of its barrel length advantage velocity-wise (you'd still benefit from the added sight radius), but my inner jury is still out on the funky fiber-optic front sight on the Mountain Light. I'd probably go with the Taurus if I could select from a few samples and pick the one with the least egregious trigger pull (total Ti guns are not known for the sweetness of their DA triggers out of the box).

Brian Williams

I have 2 trackers 1 in 357 6" and the other in 45colt 4" both are amazing the 357 is a great gun with a great trigger and lockup, it keeps all shots inside 5" at 40 yds. the 45 colt I just got and have only fired 10 rounds through it. The trigger pull is stiff but smooth. I will be looking for a spring kit for it but that will be after some dryfiring and range time.

S&w I would go for a 686 mountain gun instead of the ugly Mt lite