Taurus Tracker 44 SS 4" Muzzle bulged and cracked

lowbud

I wanted a 44 for a while and finally pulled the triger. I found a Tracker 44 at a reasonable price and ordered it. I picked it up and drive straight home to set up some targets.

My initial impression was good. I liked it. Accurate and easy to handle even with premium loads. To my supprise after 30 rounds I noticed the ported barrel bulged and cracked.

Anyone heard of this problem. I sent the gun to taurus for repair. They seemed responsive and scheduled a fedex pickup on their dime. Just wondering now how long before I'll see it again... also wondering if I'll keep it after this. I suppose this could have been a disaster... pic included...

Attachments

• HPIM2555.JPG
    HPIM2555.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 352

Jim March

Looks to me like the barrel skipped a step in the heat-treat or something. Or the wrong freakin' steel. That's really abnormal even for a Taurus.

You're lucky you didn't blow the barrel downrange.

Piper Cub

Poor picture...could have had a bullet stuck in the tube already and you shot again....hard to tell. Really need a better photo.
I seem to recall you had the same problem with your Ruger LCP too.

lowbud

LCP was FTE problems. The pic was from my phone. It was the only thing I had available at the time.

Last edited:

thinkingman

With not much information available, could it be protective grease in the barrel and poss lead bullets causing a pressure issue?
hard to tell from here but I always clean a new firearm before shooting.
Good luck.