Taurus Titanium Snubbys - Anyone?

Yanus

I'm thinking very strongly about a Taurus Ti
in 44 spl since I alreadly shoot a lot of
44 mag. It would be used for an occasional
hideout gun. Anyone have any experience
with the 44 spl, 45LC, or 41 mag versions?
Any comments appreciated

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor
injury. Machiavelli

Rob Pincus

I have three on the way, hopefully I'll figure out how to get through the multiple purchase red-tape in VA and I'll report on them soon!

FUD

I always liked Taurus revolvers. I don't have any experience with the Titanium line myself but this is something that I witnessed at the outdoor range that I was shooting at about a month ago ...

A husband & wife were shooting right next to me. From what I was able to gather, he had just purchased for her the 2" .44 model that you're interested in. She fired off the five rounds, looked at her hand which turned a very bright red and screamed at her husband to "take this *^%$@$ back to where he got it from because it was a piece of *#%^&*@(*". :eek:

Again, this is just something that I observed so you can take it for whatever it's worth.

------------------
Share what you know, learn what you don't -- EdF.

lucky085

I have the 44 spcl Ti Taurus, and the recoil is easily manageable, even with Corbon loads.

Compared with a 357 magnum, it is a *****cat in the recoil dept.

Yanus

Thanks for your input. I may just go ahead
and buy the SS version instead. It is cheaper and it isn't ported. Any comments
on the steel versions are very appreciated.
Ain't these new fangled computers fun??
(I'm a data processing consultant by trade)

------------------
injury. Machiavelli

Steve Smith

Yanus, how much can I lean on you for the ported model? Now honestly, I'm not a giant guy (5'7" at 180 lbs...but I look like 150 lbs.) but I just LOVE heavy cartriges. The report on the lady who was upset about shooting the .44 Ti was obviously very recoil sensitive. Taurus' porting does wonders for recoil. My Raging Bull (.454 Casull), unlike the FA or Ruger equivilants, rises maybe 2" from the point of aim with the heaviest of loads. (the recoil is still felt, but at least it doesn't force the my arms up in the air). Now, I fired my mom's .357 Taurus Ti with heavy cor-bon .357's (she shoots it with .38's) and found it to be really enjoyable...with no muzzle flip at all. I'm going to be very un-PC here, but oh, well. I'd say that any man 140 lbs. and up with adequate training (not Thunder ranch or anything, just good technique) could handle any of the Taurus Ti's. I'd imagine that the .41 Mag and the .357 Mag are the hardest kicking of them all. The .45 Colt is calling me, because Taurus SAYS that it'll take +p's, and that's an awfull lot of power! However, the .45 Colt in regular loads should be very controllable. Also, the weigh plays in...have you FELT how light those things are? Wow!

glockdoc

I've read the Taurus titanium revolvers have rough actions. I held a Taurus in .41 Magnum and was very impressed by its light weight. I don't want a revolver with a gritty trigger though. What's the typical cost of a trigger job? Glockdoc/Frank

Yanus

Frontsight,
I'm like you as I am not recoil sensitive
either with a handgun. I also like large
calibres. My only issue with the porting
is with cast lead bullets. Will the lead
clog the ports? I shoot my own cast bullets
in my 44 mag. I would do the same with the
44 spl.

------------------
injury. Machiavelli

Bob Locke

Rob,

If you bought those three from a dealer outside Virginia, and are having them shipped here (a transfer, not a sale within the state lines), then you won't have to fool with the permits.

Send me an e-mail.

cjb

Yanus,
I own and have shot many ported revolvers including those from Taurus.I prefer jacketed bullets,but I have fired lead. I put about 100-150 rounds through my 608 a while back. When I got it home and cleaned it the ports were only about half way blocked.If you are going to take the time to de-lead the gun,you'll have no problem cleaning the ports!
CALVIN
"want more gun control? use both hands!"

buzz_knox

My only problem with these: what is it with the colors? "Spectrum blue, spectrum gold?!" No offense but who are they catering to?

I like the idea of the 617T (the compact 7 shot .357). About what size is it, really? Close to a detective special or more like a M19?

Kentucky Rifle

My wife wants one for Valentine's day. Matte Spectrum blue, .38 caliber. I talked to the gun shop owner yesterday. He said that he's had no complaints or returns with Taurus revolvers. Not so with the PT-111. It seems that there have been many complaints regarding the trigger. My father in law owns one of these and is going to send it back to Taurus. Maybe there is a fix for the trigger. I hope so.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

Yanus

Lee makes a 44 caliber 240gr SWC gas check
mold and it produces a cast bullet
that is simply wonderful in a Redhawk with
a 7.5 " barrel. I was thinking that if
I bought a 44spl snubbie, I could use the
same bullet with about 7gr of Unique. I
currently use 10gr Unique behind the Lee
bullet with gas checks. It is like shooting
a 22 in the heavy Redhawk.

------------------
injury. Machiavelli

Steve Smith

Yanus, I haven't shot lead in a ported gun, but it would seem to me that if you find a drill bit that exactly matches the ports (before firing) then you can remove all that blockage pretty easily. (use your fingers, not a drill!) Also, the actions on al the ones I've handled were silky smooth...just a bit heavy DA, but all in all, just fine.

Buzz_knox, have you seen the "Stealth Grey?" That's the one to have, it looks much more "manly." Concerning the 617T, that's the one my mom got. I have no idea about the S&W sizes you're referencing, but it's in the same size as a Ruger 101, but with a larger cylinder, and slightly longer grips. It's not a tiny gun, but it sure is light! If you want smaller, you'll have to go to the .38 +P that's a "small frame" model. O.k. after a little research, it looks similar to a M19, but maybe a little smaller, both in grip and of course barrel length. 20 oz. is what makes the difference.

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
Rob,

When we were at the SHOT show last year, I didn't realize what the Taurus Titanium had to offer. After looking at the Smiths first, (and disappointedly finding they were not offered in 10mm) I breezed by the Taurii. I now realize that (1)The Taurus revolvers are ALL Titanium, save a few small parts [Smiths are not], and (2)are offered in .45 Colt and .41 Mag. Glory be!

I'm eagerly waiting your report. I think I'm actually going to go for the 4" Trackers...Now, if the ammo manufacturers would offer the loadings I've suggested! The only one Corbon sounded interested in was a 165 grain JHP @ about 1200 fps from the 2" barrel...(in the .45 Colt)

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited February 05, 2000).]

denfoote

My girlfriend bought a Tuarus M85 Ultralite.
We took it out shooting yesterday. The gun jammed. We experienced bullet creep. We were shooting lead round nose. Always shoot jacketed rounds in these guns in spite of what Taurus says. I assume that this advice is also good for the Ti guns too.

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

Ezeckial

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by denfoote:
My girlfriend bought a Tuarus M85 Ultralite.
We took it out shooting yesterday. The gun jammed. We experienced bullet creep. We were shooting lead round nose. Always shoot jacketed rounds in these guns in spite of what Taurus says. I assume that this advice is also good for the Ti guns too.

[/quote]

I suggest you send it back to the factory. I had a similar problem. I've read of others with the same problem.
As a Quality Assurance person, I suspect we're seeing a trend here. It's possible this is resulting from an attempt to make a lighter trigger pull (attract more women buyers). I don't know...speculation on my part. But there have been several problems of this sort mentioned on this, and other BBS's.
Taurus did correct the problem with my Ultra Lite.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I fired lots of lead in my 85UL w/o problems.
Just recently, I fired a 7-shot ported Taurus .357 snubbie. While the recoil was mild, the accuracy was not great and the muzzle flash from the porting caused me to blink after firing it, every time. Also, I'd hate to fire it from retention.

------------------
Oleg "cornered rat" Volk (JPFO,NRA)

http://dd-b.net/RKBA