Taurus Titanium 850 CIA

alamo

Saw one of these today at a local gun shop. It was $400. Doesn't seem out of line because it's titanium. What did those of you who own one pay? Or what has anyone seen these going for?

The titanium version of this gun has been discussed before but as I recall, very few folks actually owned one. I like the weight of this one - 16 ounces. The stainless is a bit too heavy, around 21-23 ounces, this one seems just about right, for me anyway.l

Realgun

Light is RIGHT!!

I've had my Taurus 617T in Stealth Grey for 3 years now (yeah, I was one of the first and paid close to $500!!).
No problem, after reading several articles I just HAD to have one. Most of the writers were saying that this gun was "revolutionary."
I think that was an understatement. I have owned and shot various 44mags, several 357's, and one T/C 14" 45-70 (what a hand cannon!!). So recoil sensitive I was NOT.

Well, long story getting shorter....the 617T is revolutionary in my mind's eye. WHY?

As stated by various people:

1. Because titanium is about %40 lighter than steel, titanium's MOMENT OF INERTIA is A LOT less. Let me explain by a crude example. Its takes more energy to stop a heavier object in motion than it does to stop a lighter object in motion. The porting at the muzzle does this rather effectively with mid to hot 125 gr. 357 loads. I, like others, actually have to return my front sight from below(after recoil) rather than from above. Yeah, I know, hard to believe....shooting is believing.

2. The grips help is controlling recoil as well in that they allow the shooter to maintain a secure purchase on the gun.

Am I happy?...you betcha'. Comparing a Ruger SP101 and my Taurus 617T is like getting hit by a baseball bat versus a whiffle ball bat!!

alamo

Certainly don't have to worry about rust with a titanium pistol also. I don't think it is too light like some of the S&W 10-12 ounce airlight guns. Those would be painful to shoot I would think. 16 ounces seems about right.

Kentucky Rifle

Alamo...

I can't remember if I've told you or not. However, Nancy shoots a .38 caliber Total Ti (With ports) and I've watched her burn through a box of 50 cartridges with NO TROUBLE at all. No pain whatsoever. In fact, she asked me to go out and buy her another box of ammo. (And I did.):)
I just went and looked for the manual, but I couldn't find it. However, I do believe that you're correct about the 16 ounce weight.

KR

alamo

Is hers an 850 CIA? Believe I recall you saying once it was something else. There's not a whole lot of difference between some of these models though. I got the 16 ounces from their website.