Taurus TCP 738 380

smokehouse4444

I recently bought a Taurus TCP PT738 and thought I'd write a little bit about it.

I recently sold my old Colt Mustang Pocketlite 380. I would carry that when an "ultra" concealable handgun was in order, when I needed to drop one in the pocket of my gym shorts (still somewhat heavy), or when I was working in the yard. I have plans to replace the Mustang with a SIG P238, but I decided I wanted an inexpensive, ultra-small, ultra-light, reliable 380 for the yard work/dirty jobs.

After a lot of research, I decided on the TCP over the LCP. Price definitely had a factor in it, as Cabela's sells them without being on sale for a good price, and just happened to have a gift card worth $100. I also liked that the trigger was not disparaged at all, in fact, was generally compared somewhat to the Kahr trigger.

I cleaned the little fellah up when I got it home. It breaks down very easily, in fact, maybe just a bit too easy...the breakdown pin seems to come out without much resistance. Also, you have to make sure the barrel is pushed as far forward as you can get it when reassembling it, or it catches the slide. Kind of strange, but no problems.

At the range, the only problem I had was when I would rack the slide for the first round. The slide would not close all of the way the first couple of times I did it. I found that you needed to really "snap" the slide back and let it "snap" forward. After learning that, I had no more problems with it. I shot about 100 rounds of cheap FMJ's, about 35 rounds of a fairly potent hollow point, and 8 rounds of the really hot Underwood 100gr FNHC. Not one FTF or FTE. Not a hiccup at all. I fired it two-handed and one handed, slow and fast. Once, I did not let the trigger reset, but since I had seen one of the video's about that, I just quickly racked the slide and off I went.

Overall impression is that it feels like a sturdy, real handgun that is extremely light. There is no front sight to really use, but that is not the point with this type of weapon. (I did put a little glow paint on the front sight...just 'cause) The trigger did indeed feel similar, though not as good, as the Kahr's that I have used, and was better than any of the guns in it's category. It is a snappy little sucker...particularly with those Underwood's in there, but totally controllable.

I still plan on buying that SIG P238; that is a whole 'nother kinda handgun, and I will use that one for the ultra concealable days out. But I have found the TCP so light, I can drop it in my gym short pocket, or even my "jammy" pocket for around the house and barely notice it is there. Also, it is perfect for dropping in the pocket when out doing the dirty work on the property. As a small aside, I think it is a decent looking handgun as well. So far, so good with this little gem.

Last edited:

BigMikey76

Thanks for the review. I'm entered into a giveaway for one of these from Florida Gun Supply. If I don't win, I think I just might buy one instead; it looks like a great little brother to my Millennium G2.

Last edited:
I have had one and sold it. As soon as I did I regretted it.
Even if you have 20 carry options. Seems there is always a need for a little bugger you can just drop in your pocket for a run for Milk.

I ended up getting a LCP as a replacement. In my opinion these are a horseapeace.