taurus stainless 605 or ruger sp101 2 inch snubby's?

As an armourer,

easily I'd go for the Ruger. Without even know how the internal lockworks differ, consider that with Ruger, you don't have to check to see whether the screws are tight or not. Everything interlocks on a Ruger and nothing falls off. Can't say the same about the Taurus, S&W or Colt. Shoot any of the latter for a long period and you may have to check to ensure that the screws don't work themselves loose.

Turning to the lockwork, Taurus originally started out as a copy of the S&W design. Then they cheapened it by removing the rebound slide. The rebound slide serves not only to return the trigger to its position of rest, but it also prevents the hammer from falling completely forward. It works like the hammer block but rather than blocking the nose of the hammer it blocks the seat of the hammer. Taurus replaced the rebound slide with a spring mounted pin. Sure it returns the trigger to its position of rest, but it does nothing to prevent accidental discharges.

Abuse wise the Ruger will also absorb more abuse than a Taurus. One older Ruger DA/SA revolver was attached to a rope and dragged by a pickup truck in Texas. Over the dirt, through the brush, through mud puddles and when they picked it up to test fire it, all six shot without problem. The newer GP & SP Rugers are even better.

I agree with Gary. The Ruger is so much better than the Taurus. I have the 2.25" sp 101 model and its a tackdriver. They have great grips (it fits my hand perfectly), very good overall ergonomics, and the overall design is far better than Taurus OR S&W IMO. Recoil is very mild up to +P+ loads. It gets rather stout with .357 magnum, but that is true with all other 2" .357s out there. I'd say just get the SP 101 and have the piece of mind that it will last many lifetimes (its the most durable small frame revolver out there).

The disadvantage of the SP 101 is the trigger pull. It is smooth out of the box, but heavy. But, if you shoot the hell out of it (and dry fire it), the trigger gets much better. In fact, the rental SP 101s at the range I go to now have a very good DA trigger pull due to being used a lot (that seems to smooth the action out even more).