Taurus Revolvers

azredhawk44

Without being flippant about Taurus quality.... I'd have to say the Raging Bull series. It seems to be their flagship line and have the fewest QA problems.

Next... maybe their Tracker series, though I despise the "ribber" grips they put on them.

saber9

I don't know if they really "stand out" or not, but it seems to me one of their most popular and widely used revolvers is the 85 series. They are made in several versions, they have sold a lot of them for many years now, and don't seem to give many problems, especially in recent years. They have long been regarded as a lower priced alternative the J frame Smith & Wessons.

DMZX

I was out at the gravel pit this afternoon with my Taurus 605, a small frame, 5 shot, .357. Practiced my DA technique with full power 158 gr JHP's. Then switched to a plinker load of 148 gr LWC. Ran about 70 rounds through it.

That little revolver stood out for me on this sunny, pleasant afternoon. :cool:

Jkwas

I would have to say the Small frame revolver 85/605 series and their variants are probably the most popular. Slightly larger than a J-frame, they are a good alternative and for the most part have a good reputation. My very first handgun was a 605, which I still have and will not part with. It's still a favorite.

BlayGlock

I agree with DMZX. The 605 is really great. I have heard things about Taurus quality on some different models but I havent seen any bad press on the 605. Most who have them really like them, myself included. I also have the model 85 UL which has been solid as well.

The Great Mahoo

Which stands out the most? I'd have to say the Judge. Few revolvers, or any firearm, have recieved as much publicity and love/hate attention as the Judge. Is it an exceptional firearm? Not really, but it is an interesting development (already developed previously in the Thunder 5, and now Magnum Research has their BFR in 45LC/410).

Taurus' Raging Bull and Trackers have been successful series of revolvers. I do not own a firearm from either set, but they seem to sell regularly around here.

Their small-frame revolvers have been great, IMO. The 85/605/651's seem to be very popular for those looking to spend less than a S&W. I have a 651 which I very much like, though have been considering selling.

By and large, Taurus revolvers are good choices of firearms. Their customer service and QC maybe lacking, but if you can avoid a lemon, you can get a fairly nice gun at a good price. It just comes down to if you want to gamble on getting a particular piece which will drive you up a wall trying to get fixed.

treg

Of all the Taurus revolvers the one's that stand out for me are the medium frame, 5 shot, .44 specials.

hightower

i picked up an stainless 85 a while back and it has more or less replaced my kahr p40 as warm weather carry gun. It shoots very well, even my girlfriend shot respectable groups at 7 yards,for her first time ever shooting a firearm. I also have a tracker 44mag with a 6.5 ported barrel, it functions well and is a kick to shoot...literally i can get 50 rounds through it before it becomes painful. I've never shot it at a range and nobody around can keep from flinching to see where my shots are hitting. I'm sure its an accurate gun... i'm just holding it back:D

in short both stand out for me, they're both fun to shoot and good guns.

RamSlammer

While I'll never again buy another Taurus semi-auto, the lone remaining Taurus in my collection is a 605 and it's a keeper.

iblong

85ul/605 have both,both have been great preformers,and shoot as well as my 638 smith.Smith just a little smoother.

OldCorp

About 10 years ago I bought my first Taurus. It was the SS mod. 441. Unique because it is a .44 spl. on what was very much like a K frame Smith. Something Smith refused to offer. It has been used as a woods gun and digested a bunch of 'Skeeter' loads, ie., 7.5 gr. Unique w/ a 240 gr. LSWC.
Has held up great.