Taurus Revolvers Known to Misfire?

forest15

Today I had some extra time, went to the local gun shop/gun range, and rented Taurus' little snub nose .357 magnum, the DAO. Before shooting, the gun felt solid enough, but after firing just on box of ammo (winchester ammo, don't remember the grain), three times I pulled the trigger, nothing fired, and each time the primer was barely dented at all, apparently not enough to fire bullet. Also, twice I pulled the trigger, and the cylender would not rotate! I was wondering if these are typical problems with Taurus revolvers, or is this maybe just a sign of the poor maintenance done to a rented gun? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, the price on the Taurus is very appealing, but don't want to pay a cent for one if these are typical problems with them!

.38Catt

I've had failures to fire with both Taurus and Ruger revolvers and I still trust both brands. With the Taurus, it was off-brand ammo, so I never gave it a second thought. The Ruger, this was with a GP100 over 15 years ago, I had a problem with Federal ammo but it only happed on the 6th shot, not sure if it was the same chamber, but I did send it back for inspection.

Again, I trust both brands. Consider ammo and cleanliness (or lack thereof) of the rental.

BTW, take a good look at the SS Ultralite.

.38Catt

Elvishead

My Taurus 608 .357 4" never misfired in about 2000 .357 and 1000-1500 .38s.

I wish I could say that about my PC S&W. But that was corrected once I learned why, and how to make an adjustment, now all is well.

Mosin44az

I bought a used one once, and it had misfires/light hits. I have talked to those who say this is a Taurus characteristic. I think their quality control from the factory is not the best. It's likely a minor problem, requires either tuning or a heavier hammer spring. The one I bought freaked me a little, I immediately traded it back for a Ruger SP101.

I have had Smiths that a gunsmith has given too light a hammer strike to, but I've never had that problem from the factory with either Ruger or Smith.

kristop64089

I have two Tauri?
One is a 905 9mm
other is the 651ss 357mag

Both have been 100% flawless. If your buying a Taurus just Pay Attention to Detail, and you'll do fine. They will never be valuable, but they will serve their purpose well.
Both of my Taurus are Much nicer than my S&W 637 ever thought of being:)

JBriggs

I have four Taurus revolvers ranging from .22 to .44 mag. I have fired thousands of rounds through them, and I have never had a misfire. Like one of the previous posts stated, such revolvers will never be valuable collector pieces, but they usually work when required.

stevieboy

I've never owned a Taurus but once in a blue moon, maybe once per 1000 rounds, I get a misfire with one of my Smiths. Usually, there is an obvious reason. For example, I've discovered that it's necessary to check the tension on my guns' mainsprings every now and then. If the strain screw backs out just a little it will release enough tension on the spring so that light strikes occur. Perhaps that was the problem with the gun you were firing. And, I've found that rimfire ammo tends to give light strikes now and then no matter what gun you're using.

without being there, it's tough to tell if it was revolver, ammo or cleaning at fault...

I only have 2 Taurus revolvers ( both 8 shot ) one a stainless tracker in 22 mag, the other a stainless "Raging Hornet" in 22 Hornet... both very different guns, but neither has ever had a light strike...

jamaica

My Taurus missed a couple of times one day at the range, only when firing double action. It was not hitting hard enough, just making a small dent in the primer. In looking at the problem, I discovered it was a cleaning and lubrication problem. Now I pay more attention to cleaning and lubing especially around the firing pin. I have had no more problems.

45_Shooter

I sometimes get light strikes on some target guns, and run soft federal primers to compensate for the reduced mainspring weight. But, we're talking guns with lightened actions devoted to punching paper. Stock revolvers have a large amount of overkill in the mainspring dept. and shouldn't do this unless the main screw backed out, or the spring is worn out. Firing pin length could be a little short as well, never know.

sturgis

I have a Taurus Model 85, .38 that I bought in 1987, and just recently bought a Model 66, .357, I haven't had any problems with either one.
Maybe it's the percentage of good/bad in my favor.

Daugherty16

Taurus Quality?

Like one post said, they'll never be valuable but they should always work. Taurus has steadily improved their machining capability - the (former) Beretta factory in Brazil does a big business on the side doing CNC work on a contract basis for local businesses. I'm picking up a 1911 next week, to complement my older revolver - a model 689 (6-shot .357 w/adj. sights) - have never ever had anything go wrong with my Taurus and have total confidence buying another. Look at the new 809, 840 and 845s - think i need one o'those too.

Back to your question - A misfire is one thing if it happens once. Blame bad ammo maybe. A hangfire is what i'd be scared of - it'll blow up it your hand and face if you've rolled the cylinder over to the next round when it goes. Light strikes are a potentially dangerous condition in addition to being frustrating, and you can't ever carry a gun you aren't 100% sure of. Want your life to depend on a firing pin that sometimes doesn't? Take it to a smith. Worn out pins can be replaced and so can sprung springs. Was it ever a carry gun? I always worry that my carry guns will eventually rust out so i lube the pin and mainspring as much as reasonably possible.

Moving parts do eventually wear out. That doesn't impugne the reputation of a manufacturer. The smith should be able to tell you what the cause of this problem was - just too much use, or too much dryfiring, or maybe it was faulty design or manufacture. At any rate the smith should be able to fix it like brand new. Good luck!

dispatcher

I have a Model 85 and Model 65, both aquired in the 80's. No problems ever with factory ammo. I have total confidence in both.
The 85 is my wife's kichen gun because she is very comfortable with it, the 65 rides in my truck alot because I'm very comfortable with it and if someone breaks into the truck I don't loose a Smith.

clayking

I own 10 revolvers, 1/2 of which are Colts, the rest Smth's, Ruger's and one Charter. I don't recall a single fail to fire in DA.

I own one Taurus, it has at least 1-2 fails to fire each cylinder in DA.....no matter the ammo.

You be the "judge".......................ck

The Great Mahoo

I have a Taurus 651 revolver and haven't had any problems firing it in DA. Occassionally I try to cock the gun to fire in SA and have trouble rotating the cylender, but thats more from lack of leverage on the shrouded hammer and a stiff spring.

Firing in DA, I have never had any problems at all, aside from not shooting as well. Guess that happens after spending so much time with my SA cowboy revolvers though.

rogertc1

Oh come on now. We all know Taurus guns are Junk. Buy a Smith and Wesson for a only few hundred more. It is only your money.:)

chickenman

I had a 85 (I think). Bought it new. It sucked. It did not cycle right. I sold it for more than I paid for it. Now I have a S&W. Love it too.

I still have have a .357 4" and like it. I gave $50 for for it. Its the truck gun now.

Sell yours and buy a S&W.