Taurus Raging Bull .44 Mag vs S&W 629

evenflow80

I've really been eyeing the S&W Model 629 lately. I want to get it with the full barrel underlug, 6.5" barrel.

I already own a Taurus Raging Bull in the same .44 Mag caliber and same lenght, etc.

Now I know for a fact from reading reviews, etc, that out of the "big three" .44 Magnums (629, Raging Bull, and Super Redhawk), the Taurus has the softest recoil.

To be quite frank, I have zero problems whatsoever shooting 240gr .44 Mags all day out of my Bull.

But I'm concerned if I can handle the 629. Anyone shot both and can give me an honest opinion? I know felt recoil is stiffer on 629, but HOW much stiffer? Is it enough of a difference that someone who has no problems at all shooting the Raging Bull even one handed will have problems and flinching with the 629?

Thanks for any help or advice.... the 629 is pretty damn expensive so I want to be sure before taking the plunge.

Thanks

dalegribble

i don't have a s&w 44mag but i do have a 4" taurus mod 44 and a 7 1/2" ruger redhawk 44 mag. the smaller taurus has less of a kick but it is ported and has rubber grips which makes it my favorite 44 mag to shoot.
having said that i have no trouble shooting the redhawk 1 handed and i don't think i would have a problem with the s&w 44 either, i have shot the s&w 500 mag one handed with no problems. i don't believe there is enough difference to create flinching with the s&w, at least with regular factory loads. there are some high performance cartridges such as buffalo bore and others that have some pretty stiff loads but i havn't seen the need to try them so i can't comment on them.

dawico

The 629 with Hogue rubber grips shouldn't be a problem for you. The wood grips may hurt a little more, but they can be easily changed. I really don't think there will be much of a difference in recoil between the two guns, but I do feel you may be selling a Taurus soon.

Action_Can_Do

The Raging Bull is significantly heavier than the 629, even when the 629 has the full underlug. It's also ported. The Raging bull firing 44 magnums has recoil about the equivalent of most other medium sized revolvers firing 357 magnum. It's much easier to shoot but the 629 is quite manageable with a little practice. I have a Raging Bull in 454 casull and it is far more accurate than my 629. Of course, my 629 is also 31 years old...

AzShooter

After shooting both I think you will enjoy the lighter 629. It holds real easy and you won't get tired holding it out there. I actually like my 29 with the 8 3/8 barrel the best. Perfect sight radius and holds steady.

No problems with recoil from any of them.

You can put the new Hogue X frame grips to dampen the real heavy recoil loads.

RickE

I think you will find the Redhawk is heavie than the 629, and possibly the Taurus. The Redhawk is the strongest of the 3.

BlackStaff

evenflow80

I just had to make the same decision on what .44 I wanted. The Ruger SRH and the Taurus RB both have less recoil than the S&W 629 Classic. All are the same as far as accuracy. As previously mentioned the Ruger is more robust and can consistantly handle loads hotter than 240 which is the limit for the 629.

I shot them all and kept leaning toward the 629 both for comfort and sex appeal. I ended up getting a 5" 629 Classic w/fulllug and finally picked it up yesterday. My wife and I shot about 300 rounds through it and loved it. I'm glad that I didn't go with the longer barrel now.

It was a toss-up between Ruger and S&W. S&W has a lot more options than the Ruger. The SRH only comes in two barrel lengths 7.5" or the 9.5". I suggest getting the 629.:D

bigghoss

I have a 5" 629 and I can shoot a whole box in an afternoon so long as I wear a gel-filled work glove I got for $10/pair at wal-mart. not sure how it compares to others.

Action_Can_Do

The Redhawk is neither heavier nor stronger than the Raging Bull. While the Redhawk is plenty strong, it was designed to fire 44 magnum. The Raging Bull was designed to fire 454 casull, a much higher pressure cartridge. A better comparison would be the Raging Bull vs. The Super Redhawk, which is stronger than the Redhawk.

kelo4u2

I know its not a Redhawk, but I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk and I can shoot 300 gr hard cast bullets all day. These are preety hot load Gun has rubber hand grif and I use a weighting lifting glove and that takes care of a lot of recoil

WeedWacker

I have a 629 4" 3/4 underlug. Full house really does a number on my wrists, one cylinder is all I can handle. .44 special is the same as any .45 ACP I have ever shot. My dad has a Ruger Super Redhawk 6" and shooting mags in that is no problem.

Mr.RevolverGuy

Grips are the key

I have no issues with my 629 and recoil at all, and I have shot all 3. I see no difference between the raging bull and the 629 but I have cheated. I ordered a set of S&W X Frame grips, yeap the same grips which go on the S&W 500 and 460 and put them on my 629. WOW what a major difference.

7MMGUY

I agree with Weedwacker, I have the older 629 p&r with a 4" barrel. After a few rounds it feels more like work less like fun. I load down for this gun as a rule. My blued 29 with the 8 3/8 barrel is easy to shoot with heavy loads.

jrb_pro

I've shot both and I own the 629.

(If that tells you anything)

;)

I shot 50 240gr SJSP MagTech rounds out of it right after I bought it and it wasn't a concern at all. ...and I'm not a recoil junkie.

I think the S&W 629 with the Hogue grips is not too far off the Taurus RB concerning recoil. Just my two cents.

batmann

Late to the party, but if you go with the Smith, order the X-frame Hogues from the S&W store and they will make your 629 fun to shoot. The biggest problem I have had with them is on extented shooting sessions, you may develope a blister on your thumb.

Mr.RevolverGuy

Batmann are you sure you are not holding it with a death grip. I have a lot of rounds through my 629 with the xframe grips and never developed blisters. That's interesting, why do you think it is on the thumb?

Slamfire

I don't like shooting full power 44 Magnum loads anymore. I still do it on occasion. Recoil with my M629-4 became manageable with the Hogue X grips.

HogueXgriponM629-4sideviewDSCN6334.jpg

HogueXgriponM629-4DSCN6349-1.jpg

HogueXgripbackstrapDSCN6351.jpg

If you plan to shoot tens of thousands of of full house loads I think you will be better served with a Ruger Redhawk. I have read reports of N frames shooting loose, even those with the endurance mods. Never heard of a Redhawk or Super Redhawk shooting loose.

I had a Redhawk and the grips were just too large for my hands, but it was built like a tank.

batmann

Revolver Guy----I put them on my Mountain Gun and it was and extented session, over 100 rounds. Never felt the rub spot until I got home and it turned to a blister.