TAURUS PT945/RUGERP97/?

Arub

The price of .45ACP seems to be coming down drastically, or I just lucked up on some pretty good prices. The cost of .45 ammo has been about the only excuse I had not to buy one. That excuse just went up in smoke.

I'm looking for owner feedback on the Taurus PT945(?). It is very much in contention for an addition to my assortment of handguns. I've found plenty of info on the Ruger Forum on the P97, so unless you have something pretty spectacular on it one way or the other, replies on it may not be necessary.

In addition, if anyone knows of a good .45 in the $350 to $500 price range, please let me know (not Glock). I understand that Glocks are really good guns, but they just don't fit my hands like the Rugers and the Colts do. I have found a couple of Colt Defenders that I just love, but they are pretty proud of them prices in the $650 to $700 range.

J. Parker

Arub; Well, as usual, Ruger wins in the VALUE department. The P-97 is the hands down winner in 45's today. I can get a P-90 in the low three hundreds which is outstanding also. That said, I owned a Taurus PT-945 a few years ago and never had a malfunction of any kind. I thought it was a pretty nice pistol overall but I'll take the Ruger anyday. Best, J. Parker

croyance

CZ has a good .45 ACP for less than $500. It is a little large though.

The Beretta 8045 is about $550. You may be able to find it for less. I know it is a bit over your limit, but it is very reliable.

The Magnum Research Baby Eagle is about $400, depending where you are. It is based on the CZ-75 design, with a short barrel.

The EAA designs are CZ75 knock-offs (once again). They have a .45 ACP, which seems to get good reviews.

awisler

Arub -- I have a PT945 which has had its plusses and minuses. It is fairly accurate, has a slimmer profile if that fits you better. Mine has a very nasty hammer bite (for me anyway) owing to the short rear tang and the way the hammer impacts it on recoil, and I do have some occasional failures to extract, though I haven't done much to try to remedy this (I hear Taurus' service is pretty good, though). I'm probably going to keep it until another .45 is in my budget, but it's not a long-term keeper for me. If you're thinking about buying one, I would suggest shooting it first to see what you think. Another thought -- it may be a little out of your price range, but have you thought about the Glock 36 (single stack .45)? It has a slimmer grip than the other Glocks -- find one to fondle if you haven't already; Glocks aren't for everyone, I realize, though. Best wishes.

Andrew

Ben

I know Ruger's are great. My experience with the P-95 is a very positive one... but as much as I love my Ruger, it has no character. Don't get me wrong, I'm deffinately keeping the Ruger, but I just really like the looks of Taurus's PT Series, so I would get the Taurus 945, and spring for the P-97 later when you want a gun for strictly business. If I find a good deal on a PT-940, I'm getting it. I think they're certainly more classy-looking guns than anything in the Ruger line-up.

Ben