Taurus PT92, anyone use it for range gun?

Z400ACDC

I seem to grab it first when I go out to the back yard range. How many rounds before you should change the locking block? I thought about going frrom the 13 pound recoil spring to a 15 to help save the block. Anyone tried it? How well do you shoot yours?

KMAX

I liked my PT92 and seriously regret listening to the Taurus bashers and trading it off. May get another one of these days, if the mood and money are right. I never had a problem with mine and it was the best shooter I have had yet.

TomADC

I have a PT100 in blue its in 40 S&W but same design, I have owned a 92 but sold it when I bought my Browning.
The Taurus shoots well I can't recall a FTF or eject all and all a good pistol.

Jim Watson

A guy here shoots one all the time so as to not put wear and tear on his Berettas, Sigs, Colts, and Smiths. He has repaired and replaced parts as required, but it is still not an expensive proposition. One of these days his widow will be well fixed as she sells off those pristine big brand guns.

If you go to a heavier recoil spring you will risk a loss in reliability to MAYBE save your locking block for a little while longer.

Ernest Langdon said his Beretta maintenance schedule was to replace the recoil spring every 5000 rounds, the firing pin and spring every 10,000, and the locking block every 20,000. He did not say whether he had ever had breakage before scheduled replacements.

Jay24bal

I regularly use my PT92 as a range gun since my wife loves it, so if she is coming along, it comes in the bag. Mine has about 8,000 rounds through it, and I have yet to replace a part. I have a recoil spring on hand for when it needs it, but mine is still plugging along. Since it is range gun only and does not serve any defensive purpose, I will not change the spring until it breaks.

IMO, switching the spring to save the locking block seems unnecessary. The locking block is about $50 if I recall, and with the amount of ammo you need to shoot to damage it, $50 is a drop in the bucket.

oldandslow

z4,

I've got the adjustable sight version of the PT-92, called the PT-99. My locking block broke after 3320 rounds of standard pressure ammo. It locked the slide slightly out of battery and was a bear to get the slide off as the locking block fragments kept the slide from any movement forward or backwards. I called Taurus and they said to send in the old locking block and they would send me a new one. Three months later no locking block. I called again and they had sent it to the wrong state. They sent another one and it arrived three weeks later and the pistol works fine now.

I am not sure that you can pick a specific round count number to replace the locking block. Most folks shoot thousands of rounds with no problem. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Frizzman

Ihave a close friend who has had a stainless PT92 for over twenty years. He and I have shot it a lot. I lost count of the rounds long ago. I guess several thousand perhaps. It has never had any problems and never any failures to function with all kinds of ammo...It has proven every bit as accurate, reliable and durable ss my Beretta 92.

pete2

I've heard good things about the PT92. I had a PT100 but it wouldn't run 100 rounds in a row, got rid of it.

leadcounsel

In the late 1990s, before I was a gun owner, I nearly bought at Taurus PT92 or 99 as my first handgun. I remember going to the gunstore and handling it at least a half-dozen times. I never did buy that gun. I wish I had.

I later bought, as my first handgun, a police trade in Beretta 92FS. That gun was okay, but never really grew on me.

I have since bought a Taurus PT92 and PT99. I feel Taurus really got that gun right with the locking safety.

It's a very affordable and excellent firearm.

smee78

+1

" Frizzman=I have a close friend who has had a stainless PT92 for over twenty years. He and I have shot it a lot. I lost count of the rounds long ago. I guess several thousand perhaps. It has never had any problems and never any failures to function with all kinds of ammo.."

My friend has a stainless PT92 and we have had the same story as the one above, it is refered to as the caddy because it operates smooth and easy. We never have a problem with it and havent replaced anything but the recoil spring.

Z400ACDC

You guys are talking me into leaving it alone. I bought mine in 1990 and traded it to my brother for a few years. He used it as a bedside pistol. I bet it has no more than 1000 rounds through it. I traded a Judge back for it. Glad I did!

ShipWreck

I regularly use my PT92 as a range gun since my wife loves it, so if she is coming along, it comes in the bag. Mine has about 8,000 rounds through it, and I have yet to replace a part. I have a recoil spring on hand for when it needs it, but mine is still plugging along. Since it is range gun only and does not serve any defensive purpose, I will not change the spring until it breaks.

IMO, switching the spring to save the locking block seems unnecessary. The locking block is about $50 if I recall, and with the amount of ammo you need to shoot to damage it, $50 is a drop in the bucket.
I am not a Taurus fan - everyone knows it. I am, however, a Beretta 92 nut. And, since the guns are similar, I'll throw my change in....

On the Beretta 92 - the recoil spring should be changed every 3-5k. The trigger return spring has a suggested change rate of every 5k as well... Just to prevent it going out on ya one day at a bad time.

Changing the recoil spring regularly will help prolong the lifetime of the locking block. Its cheap and easily replaceable. Not changing it puts more stress on the locking block.

Beretta's newest 3rd generation locking block has a 20k round suggested lifetime. Taurus has not redesigned the locking block multiple times as Beretta has - so it's of an older style design. If it were me, I'd change it at 10k rounds.

Once you break a block - IF it doesn't damage the frame, these guns tend to break blocks more easily. So, preventing that from ever happening is a wise move. Also, sometimes the frame cracks when you break a block. If that happened, your gun is gone. Usually it cracks one of the frame rails.

Keep chugging away if you want - but I would at least suggest changing the recoil spring regularly. I changed one of mine at 3750 rounds, as it was much shorter than a new spring.

I use my 92's for defensive purposes. Periodically changing the trigger bar spring and slide stop spring is also a good idea as well.

Z400ACDC

Shipwreck, I have a 15 pound spring on order. It came with a 13. Some have said that the 15 will help save the block. I have thought about replacing the block with the Beretta.

ShipWreck

There is a range of a pound or two you can use on the recoil spring. I honestly stay with the factory weight. I think if you go more than one pound off, you possibly risk the gun not working with all ammo (maybe some weaker 9mm).

I personally haven't saw any need to change the spring weight... Just change the normal spring when needed...

Leejack

I would recommend sticking with factory rated springs. If you want to go with the Beretta locking block, that's OK too, it's a good design. I never had a problem with the Taurus block myself, or the older M9's for that matter.