*Taurus PT111* I am so MAD!

Jason Demond

I bought a Taurus PT111 a couple weeks ago. I took it apart to clean it after I got it home. I remember it being hard to put back together when I was done. I didn't think about it much then. I took it out yesterday to runs some ammo through it. I fired 50 rounds of Mag-Tech and 20 round of Speer Gold Dots. After I got home I cleaned it and was in the process of putting it back together when I noticed the trigger hinge was broke. There was a piece of the trigger that would move back and forth on the trigger pin, when it was in the wrong place the gun was super hard to reassemble. When it was moved back in the proper place the gun went together easy. Therefore the gun was broke when I bought it. The gun dealer I bought it from will not help me out and has since lost a customer. Now I have to spend 40.00 dollars to send it back to Taurus. I am so G*# D#*% MAD!:mad: I know Taurus will make it right, but still I'm Pissed. I got the little gun to use as a carry gun, now I know I can never trust it. When I get it back I am going to trade it in on something else.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Blackhawk

Why not just mail the broken parts or stripped assembly?

Why does Taurus need the whole gun? You don't need the $40 shipping bill, so if they want the whole gun, let them pick it up. :)

mlk18

That sucks man. I too have been screwed over by a profit-monger-gun-dealer (thankfully there are lots of good honest dealers out there). In my case it was a Ruger KP89DC that couldn't hit a bullseye target if you held the barrel 2" away. Turned out an overzealous do-it-yourselfer tried to make it more accurate. Dealer said it was my problem (now). He lost alot of business because of word of mouth and my disgruntled attitude. Hopefully everything works out for you.

mlk18

TIR

Good luck with Taurus!!! I've sent my PT140 back twice and haven't been reimbursed for the shipping charges yet. There customer service is courtious but unhelpful, they couldn't tell me why mine sheared the slide pins. As a consequence I will never purchase another Taurus PERIOD.

I have a freind with a PT111 such as yours, he has fired about 2,000 rds. through his with no problems at all. So they do make at least one good gun in this model unfortunately we didn't buy one of them.:confused:

Jason Demond

Why does Taurus need the whole gun?
I wondered about that myself. I think I will play with it for a while and see if I can get it apart. Maybe I can save myself 40.00. Now I kick myself for passing on the Glock 26.

Unfortunately we didn't buy one of them.
I guess not.

New_comer

Jason,

I've just got to ask: you've been around long enough to notice the numerous horrible experiences about these *POS* Taurus polymer guns, from denfoote to Skyslash, and not only at TFL but in other handgun fora as well, what in heaven's name convinced you to buy one? :confused: :confused:

JD Black Label

Taurus Problems

I had a PT-145 that the frame cracked. (Search on PT-145 to see the pics I posted) I was very persistent with the customer service manager, not the ones that just answer the phone they are no help at all.

She "Diedra" the CS Manager had FEDEX pick my gun up at their cost right from my home. They had my gun for 2 weeks and couldn't get the parts to fix it.

I got a brand new gun!! It was delivered on a Friday took it to the gun show on Saturday and it was gone FOREVER!!!!:D

I went that afternoon and bought a Glock 27:) and have never looked back. The Glock is far superior and I carry it everyday and have the utmose confidence in it.

Hope this helps. I will never own another Taurus again.

Thanks,
JD

Snowdog

$40 to send it back?
I've never spent more than $10 to send a handgun back for factory repairs, with the majority being a bit over $5, including insurance.
But then, UPS may have changed their practices in the year or so since I used them.

C.R.Sam

Let us see here. Bought gun. Took gun apart. Had trouble putting it together again. Gun now broken.

We gonna blame the manufacturer ?

Sam

Kevinch

I don't know much about the PT111 - being a metal man myself - but is this one of those guns you have to pull the trigger on to disassemble or anything like that?

I have heard that some of the newer guns have a particular method of operations to field stripping without damaging anything.

Just a thought - it is a bummer to be without your gun!

I've had the experiance myself - with Taurus, S&W, & Ruger.

VVG

The local gun shop stopped selling Taurus because their customer service was so bad - and posted this prominently on their website.

Buglight

I don't have pt111 but I do have pt138 and they both identical less caliber, the wife bought it new for me (for back up)on last Xmas, I shot close to 2K rds without a single hickup, fieldstrip for cleaning every 100rds without any problem, may be it's too early to say it a good gun but so far it's good gun for me, it has to cause the wife bought it (or else!!:rolleyes: ).

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Guys...

This is why before you buy any gun - you do a TFL Search on the prospects. Research the matter carefully. Read the comments about the gun from those that owned it.

Use TFL as a tool.

There has been a number of threads about the Millenium series, some of them rather ominous with breaking frame pins and cracking slides.

Jason Demond

Why did I buy it?

I just kind of liked the looks of it.
I got a call last night from the gun shop; they are going to make it right. I guess the dealer thought about the money he would lose and decided to eat the shipping.

I've never spent more than $10 to send a handgun back for factory repairs, with the majority being a bit over $5, including insurance.
I was quoted 38.00 for Fedex and 39.50 for UPS, if I sent it back myself. Handguns have to be sent Next Day Air.
Although I think an FFL can send a handgun through the US mail.
AimSurplus send my CZ70 to my local dealer in the mail for 10.00.

Jason Demond

The FedEx guy brought my gun back today. Taurus did a good job fixing it. I don't think I will keep it though; I plan to trade it for a used pre-agreement S&W .357 magnum in a K of L frame. The reason I am getting rid of it is because I will never trust it. It would have been my carry gun, but that won't happen now. Taurus turn around time was just about five weeks.
The dealer that gave me trouble sent the gun back at no charge, but Taurus sent it back to me at my home. The gun shop still has the gun listed as out for repair and are expecting to get it shipped to them. I will never shop at that store again, and I will not tell them the gun was sent to me. If anyone from MI happens to travel through Barry County and thinks about stopping at Bobs Gun & Tackle keep on trucking! The guy is a prick and the prices are outrageous.

Last edited:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I'd buy a Taurus auto with no reservations...

...unless it was one of their polymer-frame Millenium series. You seriously could not give me one of those guns. Best used as anchors for very small boats.

Jason Demond

I have a Taurus M85 that I like very much, I would buy a Taurus firearm again if I found the right one. I didn't want people to think of my post as anti-Taurus, they were very helpful to me.

I would never buy a Millenium again though.

Eric Larsen

I agree with Tamara...Taurus is a good company. The plastic vantastic line has troubles..the rest are world class guns....
Shoot well