Taurus PT-92

FPrice

My dealer just got a used but very good shape PT-92. Pachmayr's and 2 hi-cap magazines for $400. Any comments about the durability and reliability of this pistol? Are the mags interchangeable with Beretta mags?

Thanks in advance.

HSMITH

Just as good as the beretta in my experience, I acutally prefer the taurus with the grip mounted safety by a large margin. 4 bones is a lot of money for a used one even with 2 hicaps. If it is perfect 4 might be OK.

clown714

$400 seems high unless it's perfect.

good pistols,my first center fire auto
bought it in '86,still got it.
the only thing it didn't like was blazer(stovepipes)

mine doesn't have the 3 pos.safety.
i was taught to shoot w\thumb resting on it.
could cause probs like that.

mags are not interchangeable w\berettas

clown

FPrice

If I did not have two pistols on layaway already with this dealer I would probably be considering it very strongly. But I am close to being over-extended and need to pay off what I owe now.

One of the problems is that here in Massachusetts we are having a tough time getting used pistols. When you find a good deal you need to jump on it right away.

COK

I agree with the others , a good gun, well made , but $400 seems a bit high , I have seen one at a local dealer here ( Western NY state ) for $325 in nice shape.

Liquid

about the mags a 10 rd runs about 30 dollars i got a brand new in package 15 rd for my pt 92 and only paid 40 dollars. so these mags arent has expensive has glock mags and dont deserve much leverage in price.

james

SouthpawShootr

I have had a couple of these. I like them and they have been every bit as reliable as my Beretta (read: no malfunctions, ever). Of course, I do my part and don't feed them junk. I got my latest one in '95 for $350, new. Only came with one factory 10 round. From what I hear, Taurus mags will work in Berettas but not vice versa. The cut for the mag release is a little smaller on Beretta mags. By the way, got the Pachmayr grips also and hated them. Factory rubber grips are decent.

One thing to be aware of: Taurus changed their safety system 10 or so years ago. It used to be that the safety level flipped up for safe, but this locked the hammer 1911 style. In order to drop the hammer, you had to lower it by pulling the trigger and slowly lowering the hammer with your thumb (a bit dangerous to say the least). Later they added a hammer drop. Up was lock, down was fire, all the way down was decock.

My favorite is my 92 Police Special (since discontinued, I don't know if you can still get the configuration). It does not have the safety, but does have the hammer drop.

Mags - you better find Taurus high caps. Just about everything else is garbage. Eagle is especially bad. USAs will work with a little bit of elbow grease and a decent dremel tool. Factory mags will say "made in Brazil" and have inspection holes along the back of the mag at 5, 10, and 15 (if I recall correctly).

Qwerty

My used Taurus PT92 was just as accurate as a Beretta 92 FS I've shot. Reliability so far has been excellent. IIRC Taurus magazines work in Beretta, but not the other way around. They are very good guns for the price, however that $400 sounds kind of high. I've seen them at gun shows for under $300. Last weekend there even was a PT101 (.40, Stainless, adjustable sights) for $295 in great condition.

FPrice

I've pretty much decided to pass on this. I have too much on layaway right now, plus my dealer is tempting me with a Ruger Ranch Rifle. Someone else will have to get this good deal.

Snowdog

I bought my slightly used PT-99 (same except for adjustable rear sight) for $289 with one factory 15rnd magazine. Aftermarket magazines will only set one back about $15 or so, so no worries there.

The PT-92 is a fine handgun, but at $400, I'd keep shopping.