Taurus PT-92 9mm

thunter270

I bought a Taurus PT99AF back in 1992, which is basically the PT92, but with adjustable sights.
I shot a lot of pistol shoots and out shot Beretta 92's all the time.
From what I can see the Beretta cost more, holds their cash value better, and has a better finish.
In all the threads I have read over the years, the majority of people whom had shot both, state that the Taurus shot more accurately.
The other issue that comes into play, ever since around the year 2000, I have heard nothing but bad things about Taurus and their customer service.
I do own two Taurus pistols, and maybe I am lucky, but I have never had any problems with them.

mumbo719

In my experience and opinion they are just as functional & reliable as the Beretta. I like the frame mounted safety & decocker vs the Beretta slide mounted.

IMO the PT-92 is Taurus's best gun.

Adamantium

I say yes, having shot an M9 on a few occasions and owning a PT99. I'd take the Taurus over the Beretta anyday due to my dislike of frame mounted safeties.

blchandl2

I have two PT92s and a PT99. All have functioned without a single failure. I too, prefer the frame mounted safety over the slide mount. My nephew (Marine) just qualified with the M9, he said he would take the Taurus over the Beretta any day.

LockedBreech

Full disclosure - I am a full-on Taurus hater. I've firsthand seen too many bad experiences. I don't want to pretend I'm opining from a neutral position here. :)

Most people report excellent, happy experiences with their PT-series Beretta knockoffs, but I have seen rare but decently widespread reports of the frame kinda "melting". I cant explain it, but apparently it's a quality control problem with the aluminum in the frame. Saw some very nasty pics that looked like the frame was shaved down.

I'm temporarily retracting this point until I can find the evidence. I don't believe I was mistaken but I may well have been.

I'd say get the Beretta for better overall quality control and resale value, but as much as I love Beretta the customer service quality is probably the same. Taurus is supposed to be a nightmare but the one time I tried to use Beretta's it was awful too.

Last edited:

Adamantium

I did a google search for "Taurus 92 frame melt" and your post is the top result. You got a link to what you are refering to?

Jay24bal

1300 rounds and not a single issue

I have had my PT92 for about 2 years now and have ran 1300 rounds through it without a single issue.

I rented both before buying the Taurus and both were very accurate for me (as is mine), but the tipping point for me was the frame mounted safety/decocker on the PT92 as opposed to the slide mounted Beretta.

Not a single regret about it...

Leejack

Widespread reports of the frame melting?

I've followed this gun for about 20 years and have never heard of this, not even on the BS vehicle of the universe; the internet.

Get the Beretta, everybody will think you're cool, tough like Bruce Willis, if you get the Taurus they won't let you in the band.

LockedBreech

Adamantium said:
I did a google search for "Taurus 92 frame melt" and your post is the top result. You got a link to what you are refering to?

Leejack said:
Widespread reports of the frame melting?

I've followed this gun for about 20 years and have never heard of this, not even on the BS vehicle of the universe; the internet.

Get the Beretta, everybody will think you're cool, tough like Bruce Willis, if you get the Taurus they won't let you in the band.

Adamantium & Leejack:

I'm currently searching high and low, but I was sure I'd seen the issue mentioned before. If I can find sources I'll post. Until then, I'm going to go ahead and retract. I may not like Taurus, but I'm not going to make possibly false claims I might be remembering wrong. I apologize for posting an unsubstantiated claim, even with the genuine belief it was true.

I'll stick to my resale-value point for the Beretta. :)

I'll also add that if you're like me, and you keep your Beretta safety-off because the heavy, long DA first shot makes a manual safety redundant, the frame-mounted safety is less relevant. Not entirely irrelevant for those who might accidentally engage it while racking the slide, but less relevant.

Last edited:

Mosin44az

I have had two Beretta 92 police trade-ins that never malfunctioned despite somewhat trashed finishes showing hard use.

I had a Taurus PT 99AF for about a year, had two misfeeds in about 700 rounds, so I would say it was pretty reliable and you would easily be able to find ammo that will work consistently in it.

I greatly prefer the Taurus safety lever/decocker setup over the Beretta's, and think the DA trigger pull is better too. My PT was also very accurate. Ultimately I decided I needed something smaller.

Taurus has a bad reputation for service, and I think their metal quality is a bit iffy too, having had parts break on my PT1911. But the PT92 series is generally considered among their best products.

oldandslow

cr, 4/4/12

I have a number of pistols including a Taurus PT-99 (same as the 92 except for adjustable sights) and a Beretta. I bought my PT-99 new about fifteen years ago. I had persistent problems with the roll pin holding the rear sight walking out of its hole and having the rear sight fall onto the ground while shooting. I finally just filed a dovetail and replaced the adjustable sight with an HK-USP fixed rear sight which worked fine.

I had the locking block break at about round count 3000 freezing the slide locked partly out of battery with the frame. It took a while to align the broken parts to remove the slide and locking block pieces. I tried calling Taurus but no one would answer their phone till the third day. They told me to send in the broken part and they would replace it. Three months later still no part so I called back. The helpful gentleman looked up the info on his computer and they had sent it to the wrong state. He sent out another locking block and it arrived in three weeks. No problems since then.

If I had it to do over again I'd buy a used Beretta 92 over the Taurus. My Beretta seems to have a better fit and finish and will definitely have a better resale value. I also like the slide mounted safety as it is out of the way when using a high thumbs grip.

So do your research and then make an informed choice. As others have said I think the PT series is probably the best of the Taurus line.

best wishes- oldandslow

Yung.gunr

My uncle has the PT99 (adjustable sights) and he loves it. He has had it for probably around 20 years (don't quote me on that). He said the only issue he has had is that when his wife shoots it it jams a lot. Probably something to do with her limp wristing it.

I decided to go with the Beretta 92 and I love it. It is hands down my best and most favorite gun now. Nice balance, trigger and finish.

I am really happy with the Beretta and would recommend it to anyone over the Taurus.

Please understand that I do own a Taurus TCP, but I would not recommend all of their guns. The only reason I bought the Taurus I have is because I liked the trigger and feel of it better then the comparable pocket autos. Plus, with the LOW price of it I figured it was worth a roll of the dice. On a higher priced Taurus I'm not sure if I am willing to take that gamble.

pgdion

The 92 is certainly Taurus's best gun and although it's not bad, it's still no Beretta. If your tight on cash, then it can be a good option but if you can afford the Beretta, I say get the Beretta. I was originally looking at a PT92. I read all of the sales hype about how it's a Beretta design, on Beretta equipment, made to Beretta specs, ect. Sounds like a good way to get a 'Beretta 92' and save a few bucks. Then with money to buy in my pocket I went to gun shop and they now had a Beretta 92FS and a Taurus PT92 side by side. I asked to see the Beretta, after looking it over and then telling the clerk thanks, he asked if I wanted to see the Taurus. I said that's ok, I'm going to wait and save up a little more money. I bought the Beretta a few months later and never once regretted waiting. If you can handle both guns side by side, do that.

I'll never get the beef about the side mounted safety either. I think it's more of a picking point than anything else. It's easily released with a push of your thumb and it actually rotates a cylinder to block the firing pin from the hammer so it is a true decocker and safety. It's also only sighted as a grievance with Beretta but they are hardly the only company that does it (but reading here you'd never guess that). The beloved 2nd and 3rd Smiths have the same safety setup and the hammer fired Rugers have something similar. I still feel it's one of the best done safeties out there.

The Beretta 92 had a frame mounted safety ... 4 generations before the 92FS (back before the 92S which introduced the frame mounted safety ... at the request of law enforcement agencies). Essentially the PT92 is a 4 (or 5 with the 92A1) generation old Beretta with a few Taurus changes to it.

Last edited:

Stephanie B

I have a PT-92 that easily has a few thousand rounds through it. I think it's a very reliable gun.

The only thing I can say against it is that I should get around to installing a stronger spring in the magazine release, as it seems kind of susceptible to being bumped.

AKsRul.e

Beretta actually gave Taurus a LICENSE to produce their version.

Hopefully they haven't adopted too many "shortcuts" in
material and quality. :(

bald1

I bought a PT99AF back in May '86 when they were fairly new to the market. Had the trigger action tweaked to include a trigger overtravel stop installation. No issues at all over the years of accurate performance save the need to expand the roll pin to improve the security of the rear adjustable sight. My son had a PT92 in the mid-90s which he was pleased with as well.

ChaseReynolds

Thanks gents. I am going to see what I can find at a gun show. I was just looking to a cheap alternative to the Beretta. If I find a Beretta for less than 500 than I will get that but if I can't then I will see about a Taurus.