Taurus PT-22

marano

Summer is here in south Alabama. I have been wanting a compact .22 caliber pistol due mainly to the fact that I wear shorts most of the summer. I have a Beretta .25 and I like it but I just wanted a .22 of similar size because I am prone to impromptu shooting in the yard when I am outside, and .22 ammo is cheap. I saw a Taurus PT-22 in a local gunshop a couple of days ago and I got on the Firing Line to see what others thought about the gun. I read mostly favorable things from people on the forum, especially Mike Irwin, so I took a chance and bought the gun yesterday.

I bought a box of CCI Mini-Mag ammo since most people on the forum said that high velocity ammo worked best in the gun. I had some Remington high velocity hollowpoint ammo that I bought at Wal-Mart in a 500 round box. This morning I took the gun out in the back yard to try it out. I took two coffee cans that I hope my wife wasn't saving for anything important and placed them about fifteen yards out from my deck. I thought that range was a little more than I should expect a gun of this size and type to be very accurate at, but I figured that was where I would start and move in closer as needed to find the my effective range with the gun.

I fired a magazine full of the Mini-Mags first. The first four rounds were high so I aimed at the very bottom of the can. I had the can laying on its side with then bottom facing me. I connected with the remaining rounds. I shot a couple of more mags of the Mini-Mags and hit the can many more times than I missed. I then tried the Remington hollowpoints. They were dead on and I mean dead on. It was like I could not miss. I started to shoot faster and still was hitting the can. Needless to say I was impressed and quite happy with my purchase. I decided to move in to what should be the appropriate range with the gun, about seven yards. I put the second can out with the lid facing me and shot a magazine full into the lid. All shots were in a palm sized group and I was not being really careful, just shooting as I would defensively.

The trigger pull is really long and stiff and I had worn the skin off of the bottom of my trigger and did not know it because I was having such a good time with the gun. I guess I shot about 150 rounds before I quit. The gun fed everything I put through it. It failed to feed the next round twice during the time I was shooting it but I think it is probably just a new gun break in thing. As a pocket gun for summer and a can popper I really like the little gun. I am gonna try to attach some pics. I found the forum once again helpful and I am writing this hoping that it will be helpful to someone else. If anybody can tell me how to make the pics I took with the camera smaller so they will upload I would greatly appreciate it.

Billy_H

My wife recently picked up a PT25 and it is a blast to shoot. She's only had one problem with it feeding and that was due to an inproperly seated magazine.

OldFart

If anybody can tell me how to make the pics I took with the camera smaller so they will upload I would greatly appreciate it.

I enjoy that style of gun as well- have a Beretta P21 to go with my P3032.
What picture editing program are you using? There should be an option labled "Size" where you determine the demension of the photo...

O6nop

I have a Taurus PT22 also. At 15 feet I felt pretty accurate but I got several jams, at least half. I've fired it a few times since then and it improved a little, still jams. At first I was using Winchester Xpert hollowpoints, then I switched to Remington High Velocity Golden bullets. Still some jams. The same thing happened in my new Ruger 10/22 rifle so I suspect the bullets themselves. I'd like to know what I can do to make the time shooting more reliable. I also shoot 9mm and 45ACP without incident so it's not limp-wristing.

Billy_H

The dealer we bought my wife's from said that they had seen problems feeding, and were able to correct them with a simple polish of the feed ramp...and did this to each of the guns that came into their store before putting them out for sale. My wife hasn't had any problems with hers.

"I bought a box of CCI Mini-Mag ammo since most people on the forum said that high velocity ammo worked best in the gun."

READ YOUR USER'S MANUAL!

Unless they've changed the gun, Taurus warns against using certain kinds of ammo. I can't remember for certain, but I believe that the hyper velocity stuff is a big no no.

I use Winchester Wildcat in my PT-22. So far I've got between 2,500 and 3,000 rounds (I'd have to look to see), with ZERO failures to feed, ZERO failures to fire, and ZERO failures to eject.

I did have some problems with CCI Blazers, apparently the brass is pretty hard on those cases. So, I just switched back to Wildcats.

kymasabe

I had a PT-22...tried standard velocity CCI ammo and it would barely cycle the gun. Moved up to CCI MiniMags and it was better but still not reliable. Then moved up again to CCI Velocitors and the gun ran 100% reliably for hundreds and hundreds of rounds without ever having a problem again.

I know...some of you are gonna cry that Velocitors are hyper velocity ...but if you look at CCI's muzzle velocities, they're posted using a 6" barrel. If the 2" barrel of the PT-22 causes the round to loose even 10% of the muzzle velocity, then the Velocitors are right there at the max velocity allowed by Taurus.

PT-22's are: (1) great guns.. (2) ammo picky.
If yours is finicky, don't give up, try a few brands and speeds 'til you find the one it likes, then stick with it.

WESHOOT2

mine; used socially, not a toy

Older; bought in '94/'95?

First ammo puked; tried others.
Puked.

Been utterly flawless with its current fodder (about 8 years or so...).

My back-up 'always'.

ONLY thing I hatehatehate is its mag disconnect.

"then the Velocitors are right there at the max velocity allowed by Taurus."

Velocity isn't the killer.

It's chamber pressure, and even with only a 2" barrel, peak chamber pressure is achived with the bullet still in the barrel.

marano

Taurus PT-22 update

I shot the Taurus PT-22 I recently purchased again today. I guess I shot maybe 60 to 70 rounds of Remington Golden Bullet Hollow points through it. It has now had about 350 rounds through it and is getting a little dirty. I have not cleaned or oiled it, just took it out of the box and shot it. It failed to feed the second shot twice, so I had to pull back on the slide which was open and let go for the second round to go into battery. No big deal. Then I decided to try the Stingers I bought. It likes them a lot. Very accurate with them and feeds them well. If I ever use it for a defense gun that is what will be in it. It makes a nice boom with the stingers also. I will probably shoot another fifty to a hundred rounds through it over the weekend and then clean and oil it. I like the gun though. It is a great little plinker. I have been able to find nothing else in .22 semi-auto that is less than service weapon size that is comparable.

kymasabe

Mike Irwin,

Taurus's owners manual doesn't say not to exceed X chamber pressure. It only recommends staying below a certain max velocity. Also, I'm guessing that all their manuals are proof-read by their legal department and the numbers have been neutered to allow an extra margin of safety.

TonyPoulos

Several issues with mine - less than 200rds and the tip up lever sheared off. Came back from Brazil with a new lever and replacement of the plastic barrel insert.

Another 100 rds or so and the trigger broke. Currently in a box and will soon be on it's way to Brazil (via Taurus in Miami) again.

Sticking with it, as it is a fun little plinker with great ergonomics. And the trigger is pretty good (when not broke!).:D

Tony