Taurus PT 1911

jonas_357

Hi! I just discovered that Taurus makes now a 1911. Do you know that gun? And are its parts 100% compatible with other 1911s? I look forward for readind your opinions and experiences…
Jonas

HorseSoldier

They've been in the works for a while, but have only very recently made it into stores here in the US, not a whole lot of feedback on them yet, but the little bit I've seen has been generally positive thus far.

choover

It is a mil spec gun, parts will be interchangeable, but with all the upgrades it already has I doubt you will need any changes made

choover

beavertail grip w/ memory pad, skeleton hammer, skeleton serrated trigger, trigger job supposed to be 3.25 pound crisp break, custom fit barrel and slide, polished feed ramp and barrel throat, lowered flared ejection port, custom internal extractor, extended mag release, beveled mag well, heinie straight 8 sights, checkered trigger guard mainspring houseing and front strap, ambi safety, serrated front and rear slide...

all info was obtained from guns and ammo feb 2006 issue complete book of the model 1911

guns and ammo puts the gun with upgrades combo at $2100

that was based on a $500 mil spec gun upgraded with all the little plus's taurus added

Jim Watson

Look, Choover, guys, there is a hope that the Taurus will join the ranks of serviceable 1911 clones and knockoffs at a price point competitive with Springfield. But there seems to be a willingness by the gunzines and www boards to quote advertising puffery as though you were going to get a Wilson quality gun for $500. I can't think of any other new model that has sucked people in so thoroughly.

Remember, all those "upgrades" add exactly zero to the manufacturing cost of the gun when done at the factory in the standard model. The question is not whether it has that stuff, it is whether it is well done.

TxPhantom

Shot a 1911....

Just got my copy of American Rifleman today. Right there on the front cover is a picture of the Taurus PT1911 and a article inside. I haven't read it yet but you might get a copy and check it out.

As it happens, I made the mistake of shooting a 1911 Commander style 45 this weekend for the 1st time. I was a little leary of the big bad assed 45 and expected a wrist snapping recoil. What I got was a 1st shot within 2 inches of dead center from about 25 feet with another 5 rounds within a 3 inch pattern and a very manageable recoil. With practice I'm sure I could improve. Now I know why gun people rave about those things.

Now I have another pistol on my want list!:eek:

Jim Watson

I am still awaiting my Rifleman with the plug for the Taurus 1911 knockoff.
I hope they explain the self actuating firing pin block not affecting trigger or grip safety operation, as described in an early gunzine puff piece.

Dave AA

From AR: (highlights)

Caliber: 9mm, .38 Super, .40s&w, .45 ACP (Tested)
Frame and slide forged blue steel
Rifling: seven groove 1:16 rh twist
8 round mag
Heinie straight eight sights with white dots instead of tritium
Trigger pull: 6lb 3oz. Review called it heavy, didn't like it.

As for the firing pin block thingy, all it says is:
"This is a pistol with a firing-pin safety that works off a trigger lever."

Accuracy, usual 25 yrd 5, 5 shot groups from a Ransom Rest:

Hornady 200gr XTP/JHP:
Smallest: 1.75" Largest: 2.75" Average: 2.40

Black hills 230gr JHP:
1.28", 2.06", 1.55"

Federal Gold Medal:
1.36", 2.07", 1.65"

Rem. Golden Saber 230gr JHP:
1.44", 2.10", 1.76"

Average extreme spread: 1.84"

Jim Watson

I figured they were making stuff up about the firing pin block. Sounds like a Series 80 variant.

The guy on Glocktalk who is mesmerized with it got one with a 3.5 lb trigger. Manufacturing tolerances were HIS friend.

That is darn good accuracy for a stock pistol by the A.R. five group standard.

paul45

guns and ammo puts the gun with upgrades combo at $2100
What a load of HORSEHOCKEY!!! EXACTLY why I dont read or look at gun rags for years now. The Taurus could be one fine 1911.....but lets not get stupid.........:barf:

TxPhantom

Questions from a 1911 newbie....

The 1911 I fired (only 6 times) this weekend was not a Taurus and I wasn't endorsing Taurus. Jonas asked about it and I had just noticed the article. I, personally, know very little about 1911's except that the shooters that own them are almost fanatical. When I shot it I saw why. Great gun and very accurate as far as I can tell. I will be studying them for a future purchase.

Jim Watson: you seem to know a lot about them. What brand do you like? I lean toward S & W pistols. They have a large selection. Is that a good choice? :confused:

dave0520

A 6lb. 3oz. trigger on a 1911 clone? That's a little heavy. I also doubt that the slide and barrel are custom fit, nor the extractor. The other stuff wouldn't cost more to add on as it isn't hand-fitted like a custom gun. The extras are probably either cast crap or MIM.

dave0520

A 6lb. 3oz. trigger on a 1911 clone? That's a little heavy. I also doubt that the slide and barrel are custom fit, nor the extractor. The other stuff wouldn't cost more to add on as it isn't hand-fitted like a custom gun. The extras are probably either cast crap or MIM.

18DAI

I got to see and handle one at the Winston salem gunshow Saturday. IIRC they were asking $475 for it. This was a blue example. The blue was the black type, and was very nicely done. I didn't see any marks through it or below it. The white "billboard" type markings I could live without. It had all the bells and whistles that I read about 1911 guys wanting. Fit and finish were very good to excellent. There was no play in the slide to frame fit, and the barrel hood didn't move at all. The back of the slide matched up with the frame. The ambi safety engaged firmly, with little effort and a positive snick. The muzzle to bushing fit was tight as well. The trigger felt a little gritty to me. The gun was brand new ,so perhaps it would smooth out. My only other complaint about the gun (not having shot it) was that when I racked the slide, it felt gritty too, perhaps it was too dry, as I saw no lube on the gun. I compared it to a blue Charles Daly 1911 next to it. The Charles Daly felt like glass. All in all, I think that the 1911 fans will like the Taurus. IMHO it's alot of gun for the money. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.