Taurus PT 1911 - Dangerous Ignorance

mes228

Some of the owners of the PT 1911's are so defensive of Taurus they deny the primer problems that at least 5 have experienced with these pistols. This is not only ignorant it's dangerous. Some shooting these pistols are new to handguns and listen to the crazyness of some of these defensive posters. This is my last post on the subject so listen up. If your PT 1911 is bulging/balooning primers (see the photos posted by "para ida" under "Taurus PT 1911 - Taurus Replaced It. Don't confuse "Dash" photos with "para idas") This is not correct, this is not safe, the damn springs have nothing to do with it. The firing pin hole is not supposed to be chammerferred. It's not a minor problem that will correct itself, guns don't heal. It's not ammo related. It's a machining error of some type. Don't listen to idiots that would defend Taurus at any cost. Rugers, Smiths, Colts all have had problems on some small percentage of pistols.They correct the problems and move on, Taurus will do the same. There may be a small number of defective pistols out there - but they are defective, period. You are needed by your family, they need you to have eyes that work and fingers on your hands. If it's bulging/balooning primers contact Taurus for repairs. This is my opinion but it's amazing some of the bull*!#! that people are posting. Taurus fixed mine and they will probably fix yours.

tegemu

I'm puzzled, if the gun fires well and ejects the cartridge - what's the danger, the primer did it's job regardless of deformation?

HSMITH

If a primer blows in a 1911 you can get hot gasses and metal particles coming back at you through the firing pin channel. This puts the gasses annd metal particles coming back RIGHT IN YOUR FACE!!!!!! Ballooned primers will stop me from shooting a 1911, it isn't right and it should not be accepted. It is DANGEROUS.

TK6411

I know mes228 may be taking a lot of heat for his posting but I appreciate his concern and alerting others of a potential hazzard. Thanks mes228.

Last edited:

Officer's Match

mes228, is the chamferring you refer to visible to the naked eye? Would I be able to see it by looking into the firing chamber? If so, it would be plausible to recall the effected ones before anybody even shoots them, wouldn't it?

mete

The chamfering mentioned is on the breech face and will be very visible !! It is not safe and not normal ! Another related problem that can be found on some guns is an oversized firing pin hole .That will cause a similar ,unsafe problem !

tegemu

I'm still puzzled, if the firing pin channel is occupied with the firing pin and spring, capped by the firing pin block, how much, hot gas and trash is going to come back into your face with a primer failure? Can't be much, if any. I agree that it is a discrepancy that should be rectified but I fail to see much hazard there especially if you are wearing safety glasses.

Crosshair

how much, hot gas and trash is going to come back into your face with a primer failure? Can't be much, if any.
I thought the same thing when loading hot loads for my Savage 22-250. I blew a primer and got all sorts of crap in my face. Trust me, at many thousands of PSI that crap WILL find a way through there.

HSMITH

At 18-20K psi and extremely hot temperatures bad things happen when skin is involved. When the primer fails with this type of a problem you will have full combustion pressures venting back in your face, it isn't just the primer. Those gasses flowing through the clearances around the firing pin will also be at incredible velocity. It is an extremely dangerous situation.

Even with safety glasses on the risk of injury is way too high to accept.

Qwiks draw

Ok this is a dangerous situation. What and where is the source for this data? If there is a problem we need to know where the info is coming from. Are there safety warnings being posted some where? Is there a madatory recall? Who did this happen to and when? Usually someone is the biz puts out such info in publications regardless of the magazines "we never met a gun we don't like" due to advertising revenue. I would take the 1911 to a knowledgeable gunsmith and see if your example really has a problem just to be safe.

dahermit

Hot Gas

Do this little test. With an empty chamber, point your .45 1911 at a light source. Look very carefully at the light shining through the barrel and out between the back of the slide and the back of the ejector.
If light shines through, where do you think the gases will go if a primer ruptures?
Regards,
dahermit

Slopemeno

A primer rupture isnt quite that bad in a 1911. The fact that the gas is restriced at lots of points along its journey back towards you. Gas will come out, but its not the end of the world. Wear eye protection at all times when shooting.

A 1911 with a dished out, mislocated, or otherwise out-of-spec firing pin can have a bushing installed to correct it. If this was a new-ish Taurus, then its time to go back to the factory, even if youre not the original owner. Send a fired case with it.

If you want to see something, try stanging next to a shooter who has a .38 super or a hot .45 acp rupture the case. THATS a lot of gas. A friend of mine had a double charge in some .45 acp ammo and I happended to look at him as he touched the tround off. A plume of greysmoke went from the gun to his face right under the right eye. He turned and looked at me and grinned. Blood squirted out of his face for a second where a tiny piece of brass had gone into his cheek. He was fine, the gun survived with the loss of the magazine (bulged and floorplate blown off).

He took it all in good humor and left a message for the commercial reloader who had loaded the bulk ammo for him.

greyson

This is the first that I am hearing of this problem in Taurus 1911s. But it is a serious, serious issue if true.

1. One won't be able to have safety glasses on when in a SD situation.

2. How many people do we know who don't wear safety glasses when shooting outdoors?

3. A pistol that is only safe to shoot with eye-wear on is beyond dumb.

4. The idea that it is only a little bit of gas, through a small hole, blocked by a firing pin is ill informed. A little gas, though a little hold, blocked by an object equals exponential gas pressure.

If in doubt, blow a popcorn seed though a straw and see how far it goes with just a little bit of pressure.

Regards,
Greyson

tackdriver

Thanks for raising hell about this.
I got mine with a defective dinged-up barrel. I sent it in three weeks ago, called them and the rep said the gun hadn't even been entered into their system yet. You're lucky you got "satisfaction" so quickly.

Hotdog1911

TE "A primer rupture isn't quite that bad in a 1911"

Now there is a new Taurus Excuse. I'll have to add that one to the list.

A ruptured primer isn't nearly as bad as say, getting both your legs bitten-off above the knees by a 16' Great White while lounging in the Havana Harbor drinking a double mia'tai spiked with Sears automotive battery acid.

bennnn

Thanks for raising hell about this.
I got mine with a defective dinged-up barrel. I sent it in three weeks ago, called them and the rep said the gun hadn't even been entered into their system yet. You're lucky you got "satisfaction" so quickly

Was it a scuff on the left side of the slide behind and below the front sight about 1/2 inch back?... That's what mine had... My dealer told me that both of the ones he got in came in like that... It's a new pistol, so I'm pretty dissapointed... I have always been a big Taurus fan,, hope they don't lose me on this one... I wanted to get one of the blued ones first, then trade it in for a stainless, but out of the box, this blued one is worth less because of the scuff.....

Now I have to check some of the fired brass to see if I even want to keep it at all....

tackdriver

Quote:
Was it a scuff on the left side of the slide behind and below the front sight about 1/2 inch back?... That's what mine had... My dealer told me that both of the ones he got in came in like that..

No, it was actually on the barrel, on the barrel crown, at about 12'o'clock, going into the lands of the rifling. It looks like someone took a round file or a drill bit to it. Seriously -- buying that gun like that is one of the dumbest things I've ever done. I actually took the barrel out and looked through both ends to check the rifling and looked right past the crown. It took Taurus three weeks to even acknowledge that they had the pistol. God knows how long the work will take.

Don't believe your dealer that "they're all like that" as far as the scuffs go. You wouldn't pay full price for a new car with a dent in it, would you? When I bought my xD, a dealer tried to tell me the one in his case that had OBVIOUS holster wear marks was a new gun. Some people just want to make the sale.