Taurus "Protector"

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Anyone own one of these?

I just came across it on thier web site, looks like an excellent way to get a new j-frame without buying a S&W.

I'm still on my quest for an elusive stainless snubby and this sort of caught my eye.

Chris W

Two questions:

1) What model number are you looking at? I don't remember hearing about a 'protector'.

2) I love my Smiths, and I'm gearing up to buy another. If a Smith j-frame is what you want (and there are plenty of reasons it should be), . . .

CW

DDGator

Wont find any owners yet

Although this gun has been in the catalog for months, it is not available for sale yet -- I called Taurus and asked. I think anticipated date for availability is November if I remember right.

I have the closest thing -- the 85 "Police" multi-alloy with concealed hammer -- but is is DAO. For what is worth, I love the gun. It is as smooth and accurate as a snubbie can be.

Eric Larsen

Actually the Protector is a traditional d/a. This is just Taurus's version of the Bodyguard J frame...I havent heard or seen anything first hand on them...they are supposed to be released in Dec..or so. Looks like a great little gun.
Shoot well

kahr Carrier

The Taurus 85 seems like a nice 38 snubbie my buddie has one and it seems too handle well an have a decent trigger pull.:p

EMS dude

I love my 85ch. Shoots just like a good Smith / Wesson.

It's going on 10 years and still like new. Great blue, Comfy Brazilian hardwoods.

Someone said Taurus quality suffers, but you could have fooled me.

mini14jac

According to the Taurus website, the Protector can be fired DA or SA.
I have wondered why they didn't come out with a copy of the shrouded hammer Bodyguard.
Now they have!

I would like to get a look at the Ultralite version.
I had the regular Ultralite, and I liked it a lot.
Wish I hadn't sold it. :(

I like the idea of being able to cock the hammer.

Kentucky Rifle

I looked at the 2002 Taurus catalog last night...

And "The Protector" looks pretty nice. It looks like a S&W model 636 Airweight. I think I remember it coming in a titanium version also. (I want one too!)
It isn't difficult to see just "who" Taurus has set their sights on. S&W better do something, and quickly. A complete and legal renouncement of that HUD agreement would be a good start.

KR