Taurus pistols Your ratings??

tonyz

I would like to know what you all think of the way taurus is making guns today. There warranty is on any gun. Purchased new or used.I like this Idea, that I can buy a used gun and it has a life time warranty.I would like to here from people that own or have owned a Taurus.

Your Pro's and con's would be apprecated

Tony Z
http://www.taurususa.com/warranty.html
------------------
www.vote.com
also for gun accessorys. http://gungoodies.com

[

[This message has been edited by tonyz (edited April 17, 2000).]

Andrewh

I thought that was always their warranty. I own a pt-100. It is about 8 years old. I have had some finish problems with it, but sent it back, and had no problems with Taurus honoring their warranty.

Rainbow Six

I have owned a few Taurus guns. They were just as durable and reliable as any S&W I have owned. Not quite as refined in the fit/finish department but they were good "tools".
smile.gif

------------------
R6...aka...Chris

Count Glockula

10 years ago, you could not have given me a Taurus but that has changed. I have a M605 .357 mag and have been ver happy with it. I think that they are making quality products now and they stand behind them.

Doug S

I own three Taurus handguns, and like them very much. In my opinion Taurus offers a lot of value for the money. I've only had to use their warranty once, and they definitely seem to stand behind their products. I would highly recommend Taurus firearms to anyone who wants very good quality at a reasonable price.

Jeff Thomas

I've been wondering about this as well. How do you folks rank their quality versus Ruger and Smith & Wesson, for pistols and revolvers?

Regards from AZ

M16

Taurus has indeed improved their guns in the last couple of years. I personally wouldn't buy one due to the fact that I don't like the sights they use. I still prefer Smith & Wesson above anything else.

FUD

Taurus revolvers
icon14.gif

Taurus pistols
icon13.gif

Taurus rifles/shotguns
icon5.gif

Share what you know, learn what you don't -- FUD
fud-nra.gif

Steve Smith

I have a:
Raging Bull in .454 Casull---never a problem
Total Titanium in .45 Colt---returned to Taurus for b/c gap being too tight...will report when it returns...otherwise, really nice!
I've also had a PT-111 9mm, it was crap.
My mom has a Total Titanium in .357 Mag...loves it. I love it too.
I sold a Stainless Tracker (.357) to a friend unfired...wish I never had. It was SUPER nice.

Gopher

Well I have a bunch of them and am extremely happy with most. I have a model 96 .22 revolver with a six in barrel. Very sweet shooter. A PT22 thats nice, but dont shoot max velocity shells in it. I Ka-Boomed it with ONE mag full of that hot Antigua (sp?)30 grain stuff. Taurus repaired it with out a word, and it came back in 3 weeks. A model 85 2 inch snubby with a Baharmi hip grip on it. Conceals very nicely. I bought one of the old model PT99 and have shot 15 hundred or so rounds through it with never a jam or mis-fire. The only one I have had trouble with or dislike to any degree is a PT945. It shoots 6 inches low with all loads, no one makes an aftermarket adjustable sight for it, and it hammer bites the hell out of me.

IMHO they are good guns for home defense and for the casual shooter, a great buy with outstanding factory support. Quality can be spotty on new models but then on a first run of almost anything these day what isnt. I guess the only other beef I might have with them is they do not have the resale value of a S&W or a Ruger etc. If your on a budget and arent really gonna do a lot of shooting they are hard to beat.

sks

Previously owned the PT92-C which is a 12 shot 9mm compact and wasn't very impressed with the accuracy. The pistol itself was well built and handled great. I got rid of it however due to the accuracy.

I currently own the Total Titanium in .45 Colt and love the thing. It does feel a little tighter than my GP100 but I was told this is the nature of Titanium. What do I know. It has very acceptable accuracy and the recoil is manageable.

denfoote

I own a PT-92. It has performed flawlessly through about 500rds. I do not expect any difficulties.

------------------
BOYCOTT SMITH AND WESSON!!!
Defend the Constitution from the foreign threat!!!!

TBeck

I have purchased two Taurus revolvers and since I work in a gun shop I get to handle dozens.

The quality of Taurus products has improved exponentially over the past decade. Their current stuff is pretty good. I notice alot of variation in the triggers, especially on the revolvers. Some are excellent, most are okay, some are terrible. The Total Titanium guns seem VERY tight and I wonder how they do when they heat up.

I haven't shot the PT-111 series but I've pulled the trigger on a few. The trigger is very long and somewhat gritty. Not my thing but some don't mind.

I carry an 85UL. After a trigger job it is just as smooth as my Chiefs Special. An excellent gun at an ecnomical price.

dairycreek

I've owned Taurus revolvers over about an eight year span. True, overall quality has improved during that span of time. But you can still get a lemon. I got an 85 UL that had continuing problems with the trigger and cylinder advance mechanisms. While it was a pain to deal with, Taurus was as good as their word and, eventually, the problem was worked out to my satisfaction. As was said earlier in this thread the Taurus is not as "nifty" as its S & W counterparts in terms of fit and finish. But it still tends to be a very good tool and will take a lot of hard wear.

Ezeckial

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tonyz:
I would like to know what you all think of the way taurus is making guns today. There warranty is on any gun. Purchased new or used.I like this Idea, that I can buy a used gun and it has a life time warranty.I would like to here from people that own or have owned a Taurus.

Your Pro's and con's would be apprecated
[/quote]

I've owned 5 Taurus revolvers:
607 Revolver
669 Revolver
85CH (2 of these in Stainless Steel)
85UL

The 669 and 85UL both had to be sent back for repairs. The UL was doing light hits on the primers, hence, misfires. Since this is my primary carry gun, it had to be 100% reliable. Taurus fixed it, no problem...super little pistol now. The 669's cylinder began spinning freely (I was dry firing) after I owned it a couple of years. Again, Taurus fixed it, no problem.
Both revolvers have better trigger pulls now.
The 607 isn't shot much...big gun, this one.
I sold both 85CH's when I bought the UL. Both were nice and reliable, but I wanted something lighter for pocket carry. I did notice the triggers were distinctly different.
I'd like to sell the 669 and get a Tracker (in Stainless). The Titanium guns are sweet, but I'd rather have the heft of SS for a .357.
I'll continue to buy Taurus revolvers. For semi-auto's...I'm a Glock guy (love em).

D Crockett

Taurus has indeed come a long way in fit, finish, and quality. I'm a Smith and Wesson man on revolvers but I bought a Taurus 85 two years ago and the overall machining and fit was a little better than the Smiths I've seen lately.
As said above, they are one of the very best values for the money spent and you wont go wrong.
Dave

HYDRA-SHOKz

I bought the Taurus 85 for my wife.I havent had any problems with it.She's a good shot with it.Its reliable.I would give it B or so if I was grading it for what it is. SHOKz