Taurus model 82

cmdc

A local Gunshop has one with no lug. Looks like a S&W model 10. I’m sorely tempted but would like to have some input here.

Thanks

Centurion

Are you talking about the cylinder pin locking lug below the barrel? Take another look at it. They normally have it but in another configuration. Maybe it could be one of the first models when this kind of lug was the cylinder opening piece. Attached a picture where you can see in the circle of the right the lack of the normal cylinder opening button, and in the circle on the left you can see the part I'm talking about.
To open the cylinder you must pull this pin in direction to the muzzle of the gun, to free the cylinder pin.

Attachments

• IMG_20210513_094316.jpg
    IMG_20210513_094316.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 86

mk70ss

Here is mine. It is an outstanding revolver. If it’s not overpriced, buy it. Those early Taurus revolvers are excellent

cmdc

Yes, that’s the one I’m talking about, however the grip is smaller on the one I looked at. Thanks

CajunBass

I had one in the past. If the opportunity to buy another came along and price was reasonable, I'd buy it. They ain't bad at all.

Centurion

Sorry my friend, I was thinking of Rossi early models, not Taurus...

Maybe is an old model 80 as in the attached picture

Attachments

• 403-1 (1).jpg
    403-1 (1).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 47

mk70ss

I got this one at a pawn shop for a super low $125. The gun had cheap rubber grips on it and it was dirty as can be. I had the wood grips already. Just modified them for the butt lanyard ring. I would pay $300 for a really nice one.

cmdc

Centurion, yes that’s an 80 in your pic. They have pencil barrels. The 82s are heavy barrels. Later models have full underlugs.

lee n. field

A local Gunshop has one with no lug. Looks like a S&W model 10. I’m sorely tempted but would like to have some input here.

Thanks

Would depend on how old, how used, what inspection revealed. If it passed inspection, I wouldn't be afraid of buying it.

Guns that pre-date TaurusUSA aren't covered by Taurus' lifetime warranty.

lee n. field

Yes, that’s the one I’m talking about, however the grip is smaller on the one I looked at. Thanks

Re mk70ss' pic: regular US guns never (AFAIK) had a lanyard loop. I also see an importer's mark. Likely surplus from foreign security guard or police use. Don't know what warranty status would be on something like that.

If it could be had inexpensively (these days? Ha!), it might make a good project gun.

They don't use S&W grips. Just something to be aware of.

cmdc

It has no markings and has a smaller wood grip. I’m going to give it another perusal shortly.

CajunBass

I don't know what would be "reasonable" these days. I haven't seen one for a long time. IIRC I had an 82 way back in the 70's. Second handgun I ever bought. It was basically a copy of a Smith and Wesson Model 10, with a heavy barrel. It had Magna grips that I added a Tylers T-Grip to, and brother it was lights out with 148 grain wadcutters (about the cheapest ammo I could find back then when I was a youngster with a wife and a brand new kid. I THINK I paid either 79 or 99 dollars for that gun, new in the box. Of course the gun shop owner had to tell me it wasn't as nice as a Smith & Wesson. Welll Duhhhhhhhh No kidding? The Smith and Wesson was 20-40 bucks more. I forget which over the years, but it was a LOT of money to me back then.

I would think one would cost 300-450 dollars these days. That's a big range, but in this current market, who knows? I'd jump on one at the low end, and would probably pass on the high end of that. But then I don't really "need" one. It would sell quickly around here for either. Most anything 38 Special does.

cmdc

I paid $340 for it. It is in excellent condition, whoever had it must not have shot it much. According to the serial number it was made in 1988. Very accurate revolver.