Taurus model 80

TailGator

I have a Taurus model 80 revolver that I inherited from my dad a few years back. I have been told that it is a copy of a S&W model 10, but I have been meaning to ask: How exact of a copy is it?

This particular pistol was purchased during the time when S&W and Taurus shared ownership. Is it like the Beretta 92 copy that Taurus makes on equipment purchased from Beretta? Or is it substantially different in mechanics?

I don't need to be told that Taurus is junk. This one is staying because it belonged to my dad, and it actually seems to be reasonably well made and is in pretty nice shape.

lee n. field

I have a Taurus model 80 revolver that I inherited from my dad a few years back. I have been told that it is a copy of a S&W model 10, but I have been meaning to ask: How exact of a copy is it?

This particular pistol was purchased during the time when S&W and Taurus shared ownership. Is it like the Beretta 92 copy that Taurus makes on equipment purchased from Beretta? Or is it substantially different in mechanics?

I don't need to be told that Taurus is junk. This one is staying because it belonged to my dad, and it actually seems to be reasonably well made and is in pretty nice shape.

Not terribly exact, and depends on how old. Taurus' design has changed a bunch over the years. Taurus, for a while, was using a rebounding hammer, before they went to a transfer bar. Coil vs. leaf main spring.

Will fit the same holster. Same speedloaders work. Otherwise not.

pwc

I have a 1968 mpdel 80. Firing pin is on the hammer, it
has a hammer block safety, rebound slide on the trigger, cylinder is grooved, rear sight is groove on top strap.

Go to the Taraus site and scroll to revolvers; there are several posts with your info.