Taurus Model 66 anyone?

ZeusOne

Last night, I saw a new Taurus Model 66 .357, 6" blued w/ adj sights for just over $300. I'm thinking that at this price, even ZeusOne can afford a second 357.

Anyone have any comments on this particular piece? Accuracy, overall feel, etc? My frame of reference here is a 6" SS GP100.

Cougar

A Taurus 66 is comparable to a S&W 66 in size. The Taurus uses coil springs instead of S&W's flat mainspring. The trigger pull generally won't be as nice as a S&W. My shooting buddy had one, and it was fairly accurate (but not as accurate as my Dan Wesson ;) ). All in all, they are good values.

therealkaos

I bought a nickel 4" model 66 Tarus in 1987 and it still shoots great. I am pretty much convinced that you can't wear one out. I bought it and a Dillon Square Deal press at about the same time. For a few years it was just about all I shot. I have bought other pistols and revolvers since then but it has more rounds thru it than any other one gun I have owned. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if i needed another 357.

mobias

taurus 66s

Generally they are not quite as accurate as Smith models 19 and 66, but they are accurate enough. I believe the Taurus 66 is actually a little beefier than the Smith 66 and will take the heavy loads better. I like mine a lot. For the money you cannot go wrong.

handgun357

Sounds like a good price.
I own 2 Tauri and am very happy with their performance.
What do you mean by "a second .357". You only have one?

The next one for me is a snubbie, I think.

Country Boy

I've got to re-open this back up. I was at my FFL last night and I saw a Taurus 66. Adjustable sights, .357 magnum, 7 shot cylinder. It felt so right in my hands. Does anyone out there have a Taurus 66, and if so, how was the accuracy? I can hear it calling my name now... Jeez, if I bought this one, then I would be an official member of the "gun a month" club since last December.

ZeusOne

Well, as long as it's open again:

handgun357: Yes, alas, I only have but one 357 - can I still be a TFL'er?

I currently own a 6" GP100. The Taurus in question is also a 6", and I am attracted mainly by the price. However, funds are real tight and I think my second .357 should be a shorter barrel.

So many guns, so little money.......

denfoote

I had a Taurus 66. I mean had, because "She" ended up with it in the divorce. It was a good shooter. Fairly accurate. I liked it, but I chose to leave it behind so that I could have my Single Six, and my Russian Mak. Come to think of it, the little "ex wife" also came away with my .357 Black Hawk. I liked that too. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!
Sorry for the rant, but this thread got me to think'in about things that were better off left dead. ;)