Taurus Millennium vs. Millennium Pro

lee n. field

A local shop has a 9mm Taurus Millennium for sale. Cheap, probably consignment. I'm contemplating it, just as a spare compact nine. This would be the proverbial "truck gun", or a loaner.

What are the differences between the old Millennium and the Pro? I'm aware of the rear sight not being dovetailed, and the DAO trigger, and I know the magazines do not interchange. Anything else?

Any known service issues? I have a vague recollection that one of the older Taurus plastic pistols had a frame cracking problem. This gun, something else, or am I misremembering?

(Assume I've heard all the Taurus horror stories, and just save them for the bi-weekly Taurus thread.)

AustinTX

I seem to remember reading that the Pro is the better of the two. Taurusarmed.net could probably provide better info than this board.

That said, I'd stay far, far away from any non-PT92 series Taurus pistol.

The only frame cracking issues were with the PT-145 Millennium.

OTOH, the PT-145 Millennium introduced a new trigger system that is pretty good. The earlier 9mm and .40 Millenniums had a really heavy, draggy, crappy trigger-pull. I don't think they can be cured of that.:(

7jinxed7

I had a Taurus pt111 9mm Millennium as my first handgun. It had the grittiest trigger out of anything I've ever shot. It had a lot of jams, but i was a new shooter at the time so i don't know if it was me or the gun. I ended up selling it after i got a GLOCK 23 and never had any jamming issues with the glock. I personally never had anything break or crack on the gun.

I think the pro has a better grip,trigger. It's a improved updated model over the non pro. The pro came later. Personally i would get something else but if it were out of the two go pro.

I still have a photo somewhere.