Taurus Millennium Pro ???

JKump

I have no experience with Taurus semi-autos. I am currently looking to get a compact for the wife, her Glock 17 is to big for her hide-away place in her new car. I had a dealer suggest the Taurus Millennium Pro. Are they worth looking at? I am looking at 9mm, I know I could go to a Glock 19 or baby Glock, but just looking at something different. The Taurus feels good in hand, But I just don't know about Taurus semi autos, I heard they where not that good years ago,has that change? Any info would help.

Officer's Match

The current version of the MilPro's are generally held to be very nice pistols. The 9mm PT111 is a great pistol, you just have to realize the differences between what you are used to and it, such as different grip angle (both have their strong supporters) and the existance of manual, external safety lever on the Taurus, which for "hide-away" use may be a good idea. As you know, if a Glock's trigger gets moved, it goes bang, assuming there is a round in the chamber. If the "hide-away" space has other loose items in it, that could be an issue. OTOH, the G19 is one of the most loved in the entire Glock lineup, and you are both familiar with it's MO.

daddySEAL

I recently purchased a Taurus (PT140) Millenium Pro.
I did so because it is an ideal size for a concealed carry pistol....Plus a Special Forces(retired) friend told me he witnessed a number of women at his firing range peppering tight groups into the targer bullseye at 35', and it had very, very small recoil/muzzle flip.

He got one and LOVES it as his carry gun, and can do the same thing at 50'!

I've yet to try mine at the range, but am so much looking forward to it. There also had been alot of really good comments on my post here on the forum also. There apparently were "problem" with the 1st generation model years ago. But people have said nothing but good things about generations 2 and 3 now. I thought I was getting a new 3rd gen, since I just bought it new at a large retail chain(and nothing on the pistol says anything about a "generation"), but from what people here have told me by describing the difference in the 2nd and 3rd generation models, what I in fact bought was a 2nd. gen. model. The grip is a little shorter than the photos I've seen of the 3rd gem. models.

But from the concensous here and my very knowledgable experience friend, I thing she would Really like it.

My $0.02

dS

685cmj

I have the PT 111 Mill Pro (9mm) and it is an excellent gun. I have put over 1000 rounds through it without so much as a hiccup. Good accuracy (better than me), and much less recoil than my .38 special. I carry it in pocket and it rides in a small Uncle Mike's holster wonderfully in a windbreaker or jacket pocket. Really safe gun too, I think. Has an external safety, and of course, can always be carried without one in the chamber if desired to make it foolproof.

daddySEAL

Great photo of one in the case, etc., marshall2 .
Yep, that's it.....that's 2gen. also(like my .40). because of the stainless slider(not matted black polymaterial) that it shows.

A 2nd gen. is silver on top like that...and DAO.
A 3rd get. matted black on top and DA/SA.

dS
(They all are warrantied for the life of the gun too)

Jkwas

I have the PT 111 Mill Pro (9mm) and it is an excellent gun. I have put over 1000 rounds through it without so much as a hiccup. Good accuracy (better than me), and much less recoil than my .38 special.
+1 And my wife loves it too!

allenomics

I would reconsider the G19. Mine is quite accurate and durable. If recoil is a problem, yes, it takes some getting used to. It should also have fewer potential problems and higher resale value. Some shops have them for $489.

9x19

Some of the info above is not entirely accurate...

The 3rd generation guns are available in both stainless and blue.

My son has a PT111 in stainless and I have a PT145.

PT145MP.jpg

daddySEAL

OK, now I don't know if what I was told is right, or not.

According to the other member here, 2nd gen.....DAO
and 3rd gen. models......DA/SA

Those photos are both DAO (?)
Why are you saying they are 3rd gens?

Is there a way to tell by serial numbers?

dS

tostada

A lot of ppl like the Taurus, but it's certainly something you're just going to have to try out and see what you think of the grip.

The Millennium Pro is almost the same size as a G26 with a mag extension, but the grips are totally different. Glocks have a grip that people seem to love or hate, so if that's what you're used to, maybe you'll like that. The Millennium has a long, thin (front to back) grip that's kind of similar to the Walther P22, and it also seems like a definite love-or-hate type thing. They're really the opposite ends of the spectrum, and if you like one you'll probably hate the other.

+1 for Taurus

I have a Taurus Mil-Pro 40 that I have owned since Jan '06 and its been great. This gun was priced right, is accurate, reliable, good looking, and comfortable to shoot. Its a great carry gun as well. After shooting 1500 rounds, I very pleased with mine, I'd definitely buy another one.

Attachments

• P3010003.JPG
    P3010003.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 101

TN-77

I have the PT111 (9mm) 3rd gen. It's my carry in a CTAC holster from Comp-tac. I have no complaints on my purchase. My wife is very comfortable with it. Mine has heinie sights, and the SA/DA action that's new. We've put maybe 500 rounds through it and no problems.

daddySEAL

Again,
Could someone tell me whether my little .40 Taurus Millenium Pro is a 2nd or 3rd gen?

Again Is there a serial number designation or other clue?

It "looks" just like this one a member posted earlier:

Attachments

• P3010003.JPG
    P3010003.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 54

DarthTedd

daddy ... I'd suggest calling Taurus. They can tell you the info you need by your serial number.

Here is another picture of mine.
tpt111_2.jpg

Officer's Match

As you now know, 3rd generation have a SA/DA action, earlier models have DAO. Therefore, you can determine 3G by checking which action type you have. One way you may do this is as follows:

1. Clear the chamber, ie remove the magazine, and retract the slide, looking into the chamber to make certain the pistol is unloaded.

2. Release (close) the slide. The pistol is now "cocked" (if it is a SA/DA 3rd Gen).

3. Now look carefully at the trigger, specifically how far rearward it's position is in the triggerguard.

4. Next, with the pistol pointed in a safe direction, dry fire it. This will serve to "decock" the pistol if it is a SA/DA.

5. After dry firing to decock the pistol, again look at the trigger's position within the triggerguard. It will be more centered than in step #3 above if it is a SA/DA (ie 3rd Gen). With the pistol pointed in a safe direction, again dry fire it. If it is not a 3rd Gen, and therefore a DAO, this trigger pull will feel identical to the one in step 4.

Hope this helps, and make certain to at all times observe safe firearm handling practices.

exprt9

daddyseal,

Just looked at the attached picture and it looks like you have the 2nd generation MilPro in double action only. The 3rd gen Taurus will have Millenium on the left side of the slide and on the other side it will have PT140PRO. I am not sure if it's true with the other Taurus 3rd gen Millenium series pistols but on my PT145Pro the 2nd letter designation for the serial number is a "Z" which indicates 3rd generation model.