Taurus M85 Cylinder Question

Doug S

I recently picked up a new SS M85. I've put a couple of boxes of ammo through this revolver and noticed a cylinder peculiarity. Occasionally when loading the five rounds into the cylinder, a bullet will slightly hang up in the cylinder instead of falling all of the way in. Initially I thought that this may have been the result of a dirty cylinder. I also tried to watch and see if it was the same hole. After playing around with one of these bullets I found out that it is not the same hole, instead it seemed to be the bullet. I could take that particular bullet out of the gun and try any of the other four bullets in that particular hole and they would drop into that hole without any resistance. I then took the bullet that hung up and tried it in the other four holes, and it did the same thing in the other four holes. I'm not really concerned about this because I am able to push these rounds all the way in with only a light touch, and they eject fine. I'm assuming that the cylinder was just made to a tight tolerance. I was wondering if others have experienced this in a revolver, and if they would view it as a problem. This happened once in the first box of ammo, and approximately 3 or 4 times in the second. Thanks for any info.

Robb

From your description I would think its the ammo. My Moms ported stainless 85 failed to fire all the time right out of the box when new so she sent it back and they replaced the 'hand'(the part that turns the cylinder) under warranty and for her trouble installed Wolff springs and did a trigger job on it. I think if you would like yours to chamber a little better with the ammo you use you could have Taurus or a local gunsmith polish the cylinders, this makes ejection and chambering a lot smoother.
Robb

timujin

I had to send my model 85 back to Taurus because of a tight cylinder gap and mentioned that I had a real hard time ejecting spent shells. They opened up the cylinder gap and reamed out my chambers and sent me a note stating that the chambers were out of round. It is possible that your chambers are not "perfect" from the factory.
Good luck..............Mike