Taurus M44

Nightcrawler

I'm looking for a good .44 Wheelgun. The choices seem to be fairly limited. I'm looking for a double action, with a barrel between 4" and 5" or so (less than 6").

The Ruger Redhawk would suit my needs, but its...well, ugly. The grip looks too small for the frame. Maybe if a black rubber grip with finger grooves was added?

Then there's the Dan Wesson 744. Nice, but more expensive, plus a little bit harder to get ahold of.\

I may or may not be able to find a used gun. All the used .44s I've been seeing aroung here are S&Ws with 8" barrels, not what I'm looking for.

The Taurus M44 4" looks nice:

44SS4.jpg

So, does anybody have this piece? Is it a nice shooter? Strong? Accurate? Decent trigger? Price range?

Thanks.

nels1481

I own a Taurus m44 (not ragingbull) here's my opion

I have fired barnes solid copper 225gr with 24gr of h110 with no problems (yes I used mag primers.) I've fired 320gr at 1300fps Doubletap ammo with no issue. I accidentally double charged 18gr of unique hurt my hand but no damage at all. Only thing I wish would be better is if the rear sight could be locked down once I sighted it in seems kinda loose. In WI 5" barrell is required for game so I bought the 44ss6. Also it's the 15 degree handle not the 18 degree handle that is popular. I paid $365 for it at a gun show in Waukesha WI. Couldn't be happier. In fact I have a few hour tomoroow to use my lazer bore sight and v-sandbag to sight it in. I was advised to get a red dot but I won't. Maybe I'll get my first deer with a handgun this year. Taurus has quality issues but good support and price can't be beat. I paid 1/3 the price of a ruger.

Ozzieman

Do your self a favor,, if necessary spend the extra X10 and get the Ruger.
If not and you have problems with the Taurus,,, welcome to being without a gun for 6 months customer service.
Use the search feature on TFL and search for taurus problems yourself and think over your purchase decision.

EDIT: Guess I should look at the original date on these:mad::D