Taurus Judge for law enforcement or military ?

Hammer1

The Taurus Judge -- the combo 45 Colt / 410 shotgun revolver -- has been selling well and is a common topic of conversation these days.

Wonder if there has been any law enforcement or military interest in such a gun ?

The 3-inch chambered one firing five 00 buck might be a interesting tool.

Know there is some video showing folks shooting car windows with one.

Has there been any chronograph reports and gelatin tests ?

As for innocent by-standers...

boykinhntr

Just as the author suggests, it is certainly effective for close quarter combat. However, why does everyone assume it HAS to be loaded with .410? The option for a .410 is fantastic for those of us that hunt and camp. We need a self defense gun that can double as a snakegun.

It is also particularly useful in close quarter stuations. If someone comes into your bedroom at night, a shot with .410 would do significant damage and probably stop the attack. The spread would make sure the intruder was actually hit. Then you can follow up with a deadly .45 if needed. I am positive my wife would have a better chance of hitting an intruder with a .410 shot than with a .45. I also think that #4 is a horrible choice for a defense load.

Lastly, I do not own the Taurus and prob ablynever will. But I do see its capabilities.

vanilla_gorilla

It's already been stated the poor accuracy when shooting pistol ammo. When shooting the .410 shell, I'd consider if good for snakes, and that's about it. Loaded with buckshot ammo, is has poor accuracy and even poorer velocity from its short barrel. Low velocity combined with the fact that the round ball is a relatively poor penetrator means it's quite unlikely to provide adequate penetration through the circumstances one is likely to encounter in self defense.

And birdshot is for birds, not humans.

Edit to add: I cannot figure out why everybody needs a hand-held shotgun for snakes. If they're close enough to be a problem, I've always found that a 9mm, .357 or .44 bullet works fine.

ilbob

Its a poor shotgun, and and awkward 45LC revolver.

Mostly a novelty IMO. But what do I know, I am about to get a HiPoint. :)

kasTX

Hammer1 might be on to something as far as military use. While undoubtedly a poor choice as a general sidearm for troops, it might be just the ticket for aircrew survival:

* 45 Colt for self defense
* 410 shotshells for taking small game for food
* 410-sized flares for signaling rescuers

I don't know if there is such a thing as a 410-sized centerfire flare, but it should be pretty easy to come up with one.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
And Now The Judge That Holds Three Inch .410's Is Out-

we got our first one in on Friday, Oct. 31st~! :eek:

Daryl

It's a Taurus.

I'm just wondering, but how many police departments or military units have you seen that want to use Taurus firearms?

When your life is on the line, you want to carry the best.

Taurus just isn't it.

Daryl

RsqVet

Poorly concived and executed POS that no serious / armed professonal would ever have the slightest bit of use for.

Any of the wonder 9's / 40's / 45's / 357's vs. the Judge is no contest.

I also wish folks would stop quoting the pure folly that is the notion that one can not miss with a shotgun. You can and most likely will if you think that you can not.

Also the 410 is a poor choice when it comes to defense, even at point blank I have seen the 410 fail, so if you think that it is great defensive round it is not, get a dang 45 JHP for the thing.

If offered a judge and a model 10, I'd take the 10.

Crosshair

I would say that it has a use in the military for pest control, especially in the Middle East. There are quite a few different species of Scorpions, several that are quite good sized and extremely dangerous. A Judge would make short work of them, like it does with snakes. Considering the medical cost of a sting, the Judge seems like a tool that could be used to great effect. It would be even more useful for long duration patrols, where evacuation of a stung solider would not be easy.

Scorpions in Iraq

The Judge has a rater distinct report with .410 shells. Making it unlikely for the shot to be mistaken for enemy activity.

HoraceHogsnort

Snake!! Snake!! Snake!! Omigod Its A Snaaaaaaaaaaake!!!

WHAT is it? This obsession some people have with a "snake gun"?!! It is pure foolishness to take time to draw a weapon if one is in danger of being snakebit in leau of just moving ones feet and creating DISTANCE between oneself and the snake!! Once that is accomplished there is no need to kill the snake unless one simply can't get past that evolutionary impulse to kill things that crawl through the grass!! SO MANY PEOPLE just cannot get past their first reaction to a situation and then lock in their reasoning processes to think it through and come up with a rational course of action. Pathetic, just pathetic.

Last edited:

michael t

WHAT is it? This obsession some people have with a "snake gun"?!! It is pure foolishness to take time to draw a weapon if one is in danger of being snakebit in leau of just moving ones feet and creating DISTANCE between oneself and the snake!! Once that is accomplished there is no need to kill the snake unless one simply get past that evolutionary impulse to kill things that crawl through the grass!! SO MANY PEOPLE just cannot get past their first reaction to a situation and then lock in their reasoning processes to think it through and come up with a rational course of action. Pathetic, just pathetic.

Same reason always wanting to shoot a bear with a pistol.

As for the judge it a large pistol that does nothing well. Better off with a real pistol.

NavyLT

I also wish folks would stop quoting the pure folly that is the notion that one can not miss with a shotgun. You can and most likely will if you think that you can not.

Heck, with .410 in the Judge - it really doesn't matter if you aim or not. You have just as small a chance at hitting something either way! :D

45_Shooter

Yeah, I really don't know why the military or LE agency wouldn't want a gun that:

1. Has the capacity to use shotshells, but has a rifled barrel making for ridiculously loose patterns, and ineffective results beyond a couple yards, if one could say it is effective at all.

2. Has the capacity to use shotshells that are the most useless, expensive, most limited selection of any shotshell.

3. Has the ability to use .45 Long Colts, but has such a long chamber the accuracy is pathetic for a modern pistol.

4. Being a revolver, has longer reloading times and lower capacity than an auto, which is the current standard for both military and LEO.

5. Is a Taurus, I'm not going to elaborate but this brand is historically not a top choice for professionals.

6. Is very large and heavy, awkward to shoot and carry, shoots ammo that is not available throughout the globe.

Generally LEO and Military are not enthused by a large and heavy gun that has either questionable stopping power or questionable accuracy, especially one that has known QC issues and fires ammo that is not a standard item. An M4 on burst or a couple shots from an M9 are probably more effective on a snake than some novelty revolver.

Hokie

If you're going to use a gun to kill a snake, what's wrong with CCI snakeshot rounds? If it takes two rounds, then so be it. If you're hoping to quick-draw on a snake (using a Taurus Judge, no less!), you might want to re-think your priorities.

Flares are an interesting thought, but you know that they make hand-held non-gun launchers for those, right? You could very easily fit one of those in a pocket. There's no real need for the Judge.

Crosshair

If you're going to use a gun to kill a snake, what's wrong with CCI snakeshot rounds?

They are about as common as hens teeth and make .410 shotshells look cheap. For a 44 mag/special, they run about $14+ for TEN shells. They are also extremely fragile. Not exactly what I would want for a backpacking gun.