Taurus Handguns & Customer Service

PICK AS MANY AS APPLY!

• I’ve owned/shot a Taurus and didn’t like it.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • I’ve owned/shot a Taurus and liked it.

Votes: 65 59.6%
  • I’ve owned/shot a Taurus and it broke.

Votes: 32 29.4%
  • I’ve owned/shot a Taurus and it didn't break.

Votes: 43 39.4%
  • I’ve owned/shot a Taurus and it was reliable.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • I’ve owned/shot a Taurus and it was not reliable.

Votes: 22 20.2%
  • I’ve owned a Taurus and had to use Customer Service.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I’ve owned a Taurus and never had to use Customer Service.

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • I’ve used Taurus Customer Service and it was satisfactory.

• I’ve used Taurus Customer Service and it was unsatisfactory.

• I shoot my Taurus handguns very little (less than 500 rounds)

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I’ve shot my Taurus handguns quite a bit (500-5000 rounds)

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • I’ve shot my Taurus handguns a lot (5000+ rounds)

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I’ve never owned or shot a Taurus and don’t like them.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I’ve never owned or shot a Taurus but I like them.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I just like voting on polls, what’s a Taurus anyway?

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters

JohnKSa

Administrator
Since this is such a popular topic and since the last thread was finally closed after 15 pages I figured I'd go ahead start another one right away to reduce the suspense.

The last poll thread was supposed to be oriented towards Taurus owners and users, the selections on this poll offer options for non-owners/non-users as well.

As always, if you've had experiences good or bad please post them.

Please note that you can select as many options in the poll as apply to you.

I've posted this thread partially because I know there's going to be one anyway and partially because I wanted to see the answers to the specific poll options.

putteral

I own a 24/7 PRO 45. When I first got it I was having a light strike problem. Called customer service and was told to send it back. I asked what was the turn around time and they said 6 weeks. 6 weeks and 1 day later it was returned. Have not had a problem since then. Fires all the time and feeds everything I put in It. Really like this pistol. I use it for my primary CCW. For the price you can't beat it.

Kreyzhorse

Taurus M-85. Froze up solid after 250 rounds or so. My first and last Taurus. For the record though, when it worked, I liked the gun and how it shot.

SAWBONES

The original Taurus 85 (stainless steel revolver) and PT92 (Beretta 92F copy) as made and purchased back in the '80s were great guns; excellent value, and still in good shape today.

More recently-made Tauri of my experience/ownership have been poorly made and unreliable, and Taurus' vaunted "lifetime warranty" counts for nothing, indeed is insulting to the customer, when they send the gun back unfixed after more than 6 months delay!

rantingredneck

I had an 817UL briefly. Reliable in the low number of rounds I put through it, but not exactly one I felt like hanging on to. Traded it after only a couple months.

clayking

Bought one, and it will be the last.

4-5 trips to the service center.

Finally they replaced it.

It went to the service center.

Finally I took it to a gunsmith.

Still has light strikes in DA.

It's action is not smooth.

It is accurate.

I'll never buy another taurus.

Too many better guns out there of better quality to waste my limited time on earth to second rate products when I can afford better.

As I've said before, I would rather own one good pistol than three of lesser quality..............................ck

skoro

Well, my attitude towards Taurus just isn't accurately reflected in the poll options. I've shot several over the years, but never owned one. My mom used to carry a M85 snubby that she hardly ever shot. It was pretty stiff when I shot it, and not very accurate, but snubbies are tough to handle without a lot of familiarity. She didn't like it and neither did I. When I say it was "stiff", it was really more like brittle. It had a stiff trigger AND it felt like it was about to snap something internally with each pull of the trigger. She eventually got rid of it.

A friend has a PT1911 that I think is a real decent pistol. Handles and shoots well. He's had it for several years and never had any troubles. Same guy has a .380 auto, I don't recall the model number. It's given him fits. He's sent it back a couple of times, waited months and months for it to be returned (even though he paid shipping) and the problem still hasn't been resolved.

My take on Taurus is this: if you can get a good one, it will work well and you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, it will be endless hassles, likely never be fixed, and you'll curse the Taurus name.

Judging by what I've read here and elsewhere, the chances of getting a good one are not as high as they should be. I'll never try my luck with 'em. ;)

Dave85

Imperfect Experience; Positive Perception

I bought a Taurus M85 about 12 years ago. I sent it back after a couple hundred rounds because the cylinder was binding. They fixed it and had it back to me in 10 days, and it has worked well ever since. I shoot it regularly and carry it often.

About five years ago I bought a M607 of the same era from a buddy who had shot it very little. The ejection rod was a little loose, but I tightened it, and it has not been a problem. It shoots very tight groups, and handles heavy loads nicely.

kristop64089

Good poll John!
My experience as follows:

- Owned a Brand new Pt-140 Mil-Pro, mag release broken from the get go...traded it in, decided not to mess with CS.
Gunstore had it fixed in 2 weeks, offered to let me buy it back for $450:eek:
which is $150 more than I paid for it.

- Bought a NIB Taurus 651ss, has been perfect in every way!

Bought a used 905, found it had the best DAO trigger I have felt in a revolver.
Would FTF 1 out of 10 times, found the mainspring is broken, have a new one on order from Taurus, will most likely replace with a Wolff, but regardless, not going to deal with CS.

schnarrgj

Just getting a tad tired of lets bash taurus threads. Why not start a what should we bash next poll?

I have Taurus firearms and like them. Have others and like them too.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Just getting a tad tired of lets bash taurus threads. Why not start a what should we bash next poll?
The poll has options for positive responses, not just negative responses and my opening post is completely neutral.
I have Taurus firearms and like them. Have others and like them too.
Several of the poll options should be applicable for you in that case, and any good experiences with Taurus firearms are certainly welcome in this thread.

zxcvbob

The averages so far seem to match my experience: I have a Taurus, it's a POS, dealing with Customer Service was less than ideal, and I like the gun anyway. (but I wouldn't recommend one until either Taurus QC or CS gets their act together)

Notice that "I’ve owned/shot a Taurus and liked it." is doing *very* well, and everything else is trending very negative.

Last edited:

Wuchak

Please add a couple of more questions.

1. I had to use Taurus customer service and they paid to ship it back.
2. I had to use Taurus customer service and I had to pay to ship it back.

The worst part of buying a $600 Titanium revolver (apart from losing 40% of it's value when I went to sell it) and then having to send it back three times for the same problem while they kept it for 3 months each time was that I had to pay to send it back each time.

They have the absolute worst customer service I have ever dealt with and I consider my experience with them to be among the single most disappointing purchases I have ever made.

When I see a used Taurus for sale my first thought is always, "I wonder what's wrong with that?"

ECHOONE

I have a 85UL I swore by until it broke and it's been sitting here for over a month waiting for a $4.00 part I don't think there ever going to send so how reliable is there customer service or a gun that I can't use,NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE FROM TAURUS,NOUGH SAID

NAKing

I LOVE 'em :)

In my experience they are accurate, reliable, sturdy, and good looking to boot. I absolutely LOVE mine. My friends have a couple of Taurus revolvers/autoloaders and have never had trouble with theirs either.

lee n. field

Older (~1988) model 66, developed a habit of beating firing pin springs to useless mush. Fixed by Taurus once, in a timely manner. Customer service "issues" with just getting springs to do the job myself. Traded that gun off a couple years ago.

New Taurus 605, as of a couple months ago. Upwards of 400 rounds through it so far, no problems. The design is different, so I doubt I'll be seeing the same problem with this one.

Ace_Breaker

I have been labeled a Taurus basher for revealing my experiences with the company. But without "bashing" here is what happened to me.

Stainless Taurus Model 85CH-broke the day I purchased it, something internal. It was just after arriving home that I noticed it so I turned around and went back to the gun shop for an exchance. They tried to make me return it to Taurus myself and there came a battle. They finally conceded since I never even fired the thing. It was sent back.

Stainless Taurus Model 85CH-the replacement. Within about 50 rounds a hammer spring broke making it inoperable. Had to be sent back to Taurus. The amazing thing that I have never mentioned, I had it back within 10 days repaired! Never had another issue with the gun although I didn't shoot it much. I started losing my trust in the company product.

Stainless PT145 Gen. 3-I decided to give Taurus one more chance when I picked up the 145 at a gun show. It felt great in the hands, it was .45, and high capacity, what a dream! To be 100% honest, I was short of cash at the show and was being cheap. I had a sick feeling at the show as I remember reading all of the horror stories. I was trying to be optimistic and really wanted this to work out. It shot 10" low at about six feet, several failures, and the extractor and spring shot off into space somewhere around shot 60 completely disabling the gun. Sure glad it happened at the range and not while carried as CCW.

I've mentioned all the other stuff, experiences, professionals, people I've known and trained, gun shops, and little to none trust this company for defense or duty use. I just think for the money you can get something great.

I've had 2 Sig P225's(not P6)-never a failure, ever! Both purchased under $400.

2 Hk P7's-never a failure of any kind. Sure a little bit more $$ for a police trade in, but probably the finest 9MM I've ever shot!

Glocks-I've had very few problems in thousands of rounds. Some have never had a flaw, while one or two have had one FTF or two in 20 years.

CZ's-one of the finest handguns on the market. I've had a few easily repaired issues but they all perform 100%. You can get these for Taurus prices used.

The list goes on and on. Sure, I've sent a barrel back for custom work or something like that. I've never ever had to send any other brand of handgun in for repairs because it broke. All 3 Taurus handguns had to be sent back out of 3. Maybe it's just bad luck. But why risk it when all the information is out there? For those of you that like Taurus, have at them. I hope they perform when you need them the most. I like the odds of having a Glock, Hk, or CZ on my side much more than wearing a Taurus.

NGIB

My NIB 24/7 Pro broke within a week and spent nearly 3 months away being fixed. My others have been reliable and good shooters - so I've seen both sides of it.

I think it's hit or miss with Taurus, maybe more so than other brands. If you get a good one - it's a great value...