Taurus feedback?

fivepaknh

I've heard alot of negative feedback on these boards about Taurus guns. I bought a Taurus PT945 several months ago and I was wondering if anyone here has had any negative experiences with this gun. I've only put less than 100 rounds through it. I like the way it fires, but that's not nearly enough rounds to determine reliability. Any feedback is appreciated.

inpeng

The Taurus pt-945 is a great gun. Shoots very accurately and no problems at all. I guess some of them have been giving some people problems with being bitten by it. That's the only problem I hear they have, other then that its a good gun.

Klaatu

I have one and if I could come up with a complaint, it would be that the magazines aren't the best, although mine may be malfunctioning from wear. Overall, I've been very, very happy with it.

Eric Larsen

In general, Taurus is as good as any gun company around today.
The plastic guns have problems and the Ti wheels are rumored to be inconsistant in quality....but I love them. The PT9** series guns are absolutely wonderful...my PT940 was as good as they get.
Shoot well

fivepaknh

Thanks for the replies. I feel much better. Sucks not having confidence in a tool that might save your life. I've read alot of the post on the Ti revolvers and Millennium autos, but never heard anything about the PT series. I guess no news is good news.:)

python1340

I had a Taurus PT-99AF high-capacity 9mm several years ago, and I really liked it a lot. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it.

I recently had a Taurus PT-145 Millennium, and after reading the horror stories about it, and Taurus' continual refusal to admit to the problems, I sold it.

I will be very hesitant to buy another Taurus firearm.

Kermit

I owned one of their first 380 semi auto's and wasn't satisfied. Sold it before the end of 1st year of ownership. The 22lr revolver I have has seen many thousands of rounds, a couple of camping trips and was the gun I taught my son how to shoot with. I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of that revolver.
I would give their steel guns a serious look if one fit my needs.

gbelleh

Taurus's steel guns are great. I had a PT-145 that I sold (before all the frame cracking reports) because I decided I wanted the USP 45 instead.
I would NOT buy a Taurus polymer pistol or a titanium revolver right now, but I just bought a Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite revolver (stainless and aluminum) and it's a great, solid gun at a really good price.
Don't worry about your PT945.

marca

Happy with Taurus

I have a model 850 and have had a couple of PT-22s. The 850 has one of the smoothest triggers I've ever felt on a revolver. Even smoother than my S&W 686. Not sure if this is typical or if I just got lucky. The PT-22 is for plinking and has been very reliable, provided I keep it clean. I did have a less-than-perfect experience with a Taurus 22 mag revolver (can't remember the model number). It was out of time, right out of the box. Taurus fixed it. I'll probably buy Taurus again.

Last edited:

IamNOTaNUT

I recently acquired a 99AFS and was a bit surprised by a couple of things. 1. The overall quality of the gun is impressive. 2. The Taurus version of this old Beretta design has a frame mounted safety/decocking lever. Cocked and Locked is a very cool bonus, or carry as a DA/SA. 3. The gun does not take my mil-spec M-9 magazines. They look the same, but the mil-spec mags will not lock into place in the Taurus. A very big disapointment.

Here are a couple more negatives: 1. The adjustable sights are crude and can not simply be replaced with MMC's or other brands because it doesn't use a simple dovetail mount. 2. I cannot find any pink and or pink and fuzzy grips to turn this shiny beast into a true pimp gun :( I think that would be just the ticket for IDPA matches at my local club. Provided I shoot well, otherwise I would just look like a boob.

I probably would not have bought one of these, and have never considered purchasing a Taurus, but I won this one and, overall, am happy with it.

Jason Demond

I have a Taurus SS model 85 that I like very much, it's a great little gun and it's gun to shoot.

I have a PT111 in 9mm that is crap. I figure the trigger was broken when I bought it, because it was so hard to put together after I field stip it. It came back from Taurus good as new and is now easy to take down, and put back together. I will never trust it now, so this Friday I will be going to Kalamazoo, MI to trade it off.

Brooks

PT 945

I have the alloy- stainless .45. Works great except the ported barrel smokes the front site (recoil reduced for second shot.)

Frame mounted safety is easier to thumb too. Time to first shot has been measured in a draw and fire contest.

Hard to beat the guarantee unless Taurus goes broke.

Bullrock

I was so impressed with my Taurus 111 Millenium Pro SS, I just purchased the Taurus PT92SS5. I also carry a Glock26 and a Berretta TomCat once in a while. Taurus is a great value in my opinion.

Jason Demond

FWIW when I wrote the post above, I was still pissed off at Taurus. I really should have been more angry at the dealer, who sold me a broken gun.

I had planned to trade the PT111 off, but no one wanted to give me fair market value or it. After I got it back from Taurus, I shot the hell out of it. I couldn't get the gun to missfeed no matter what I tried. I ended up shooting somewhere around 1500 to 2000 rounds, and CCWing it for two years.

I traded that, and another gun off awhile ago for a S&W 625-2.

I'm glad I got the 625, but I sure miss that Taurus.

Linc

I only have a few hundreds rounds through my alloy/stainless PT 945, but have not had any problems at all, and the parts seem to be holding out against wear pretty well.

It does get dirty inside very quickly. Needs to be stripped and cleaned more regularly per rounds fired than other models I own. No big deal, I clean when I am done shooting, it's just that there is more crud inside with the PT 945.