Taurus cylinder lock-up

DrLaw

Question. I am only used to S&W when at the stage with the hammer back and trigger pulled, the cylinder is locked solid (or as close to it as possible).

Just had a chance to handle a couple Taurus revolvers, a .22 and a .44 Mag.
Both had wiggly cylinders when at lock-up with the hammer back and trigger pulled. I was shocked (almost) at how much I could wiggle the cylinder side-to-side.

Question is, is this normal for Taurus and should it concern me?

One of the guys there joked that this is why bullets are pointy, but I don't think that is much of a joke.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

recoil freak

I have a Ragging Bull and a Tracker and both are the way you described but has never affected accuracy in any way. I have a Smith 500 mag from the Performance Center and it also has some play and this was an $1,800.00 gun

shoop66

Not sure if this is your problem, but I do know that if a cylinder is at .002 or so cylinder gap, the cylinder can bind up and lock. Might be a dif. problem, but it might be this.

Shadi Khalil

Every single Taurus revolver I have owned has had lock/timing issues. You got a good eye, now take that good eye and get a Smith or Ruger.

Shadi Khalil

Not sure if this is your problem, but I do know that if a cylinder is at .002 or so cylinder gap, the cylinder can bind up and lock. Might be a dif. problem, but it might be this.

My first and last Taurus revolver had that problem. It one that Taurus, given a total of 5 months for both pistols, could not figure out.

Ozzieman

Same problem with a 455 (44 special snub nose). The end of the barrel at the forcing cone had two problems.
1. Was not straight, the lower end was closer to the cylinder than at the top.
2. The clearance from the end of the barrel was too tight. Even the end that had the largest opening was too tight. After firing several cylinders the gun would lock up to the point that you couldn’t even pull the hammer back.
Instead of sending it back (I purchased it used) I had a good gunsmith look at it. He gave the gun the proper clearance and made the opening straight.
The gun since then functions properly. I just wish that Smith made the same gun.
I still have the gun and will probably keep it, but it will be my last taurus.

Mark Milton

Its just a revolver thing. Back in the Bangor Punta days i was very common on S&Ws...

I have two tauruses.
One is a five shot snubby with a tighter cylinder lock up than my five shot Cheif had.

The other is a .44 that has a tighter cylinder lock up than my Colt Anaconda, if that tells you anything.

DrLaw

Thanks, guys. The guns are not mine. They are part of a raffle that my club is having as a fund-raiser during our yearly pistol league.

I posted this same question on another popular forum when I had 24 views and no answers here, but now I see I have answers on both forums.

Thanks again.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Lost Sheep

;DrLaw said:
One of the guys there joked that this is why bullets are pointy, but I don't think that is much of a joke.
No, that's one of the two reasons I know of why the forcing cone is there.

You should have some play (clearance is required so the locking hand will engage the cylinder stop notch). But on some of my guns, the lockup tightens during the last little bit of trigger travel. I haven't been able to figure that out.

As long as the ogive or shoulder of the bullet cannot hit (and shave metal on) the back end of the barrel, the gun is OK. There is a tool to detect this, but I forget what it's called. Basically a knitting needle with a hook on the end to feel for a "catch" between the chamber throat and the entrance to the forcing cone.

Lost Sheep.

Lost Sheep