Taurus 94 .22 cal revolver

Jeff22

One of my friends recently got his CCW permit and now frequently carries a S&W 642 .38 revolver for self defense.

He was looking for a .22 revolver with similar ergonomics to use as a practice gun. .22 ammo is lots cheaper than .38 ammo.

It would seem that some variety of the Taurus 94 .22 cal revolver might be appropriate for this application.

Is anybody on the forum familiar with the Taurus 94?

dnsharpshooter

I've looked at them, never shot one though. The trigger was fairly heavy, but pretty smooth and I'm sure with a little polishing and a spring kit it would be great.

srt 10 jimbo

Great little Plinker, put about 3,000 rounds through mine so far. The Trigger pull will lessen a little over time but that's the only negative I have on this gun

Attachments

• gs11.jpg
    gs11.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 26

Pahoo

Been there and won't go back.

Is anybody on the forum familiar with the Taurus 94?
I feel obligated to answer you and sadly, I did not have a very positive experience with the one I had. It was quite a number of years ago and to make a long story short, I sold it after having to send it back to the factory twice in less that six months. I did get my money back but not the greif. ..;)

Perhaps they have gotten past the problems but I won't take a second chance, nor recommend one. .. JMHO

Be Safe !!!

aarondhgraham

I know two Model 94 owners,,,

Their guns are reliable, nice to hold, and accurate,,,
But they have terrible (heavy-gritty) triggers.

You don't really notice it until you shoot one of those,,,
Then immediately shoot my S&W Model 18.

Since his carry gun is a S&W J-frame,,,
Perhaps a S&W Model 317 or S&W Model 43C would work.

The Taurus 94 will probably suffice,,,
But a J-frame S&W would be a closer match.

Aarond

BryanP

I have owned a Taurus 94. It was reliable, accurate, and it was great to shoot single-action. The DA pull was long and heavy. I eventually sold it and bought a S&W 63, but I never had any trouble out of the 94.

If your friend can find someone who will let him shoot a 94 first that will help him decide if it will work for him.

I have one. As everyone above has pointed out, the trigger is horrible. Actually, that's being kind -- out of the box, it was much worse than horrible. I put a Wolff spring kit in mine and got it down to more or less where a double action revolver usually starts before you do the trigger job. I haven't shot it much, so I hope it'll smooth out and lighten up a bit more.

Not enough rounds through it to have broken it yet ... I have my fingers crossed. If it breaks, I'll replace it with a Charter Arms Pathfinder.

PetahW

In the Taurus revolvers i've owned & examined, it appears that Taurus is more interested in grinding out product than it is in things like cleaning metal scraps from the innards (binding up), refining cylinder timing (many side spit), or smoothing the interacting surfaces of internal action parts (gritty functioning).

Add all that to the self-proven fact that a used Taurus is harder to sell than an icebox in Alaska, means that I cannot recommend a Taurus as a purchase option.

9mm

I have one! about 3200 rounds through mine, I really enjoy it and looking at buying another, only complaint would be the heavy trigger pull but other than that a good shooter :)

attachment.php

The SA on the S&W 617 and Taurus 94 are about the same lightness, very clean easy break. Though the S&W DA pull is smooth as butter the Taurus stacks heavy. It's still fun to shoot!!

Last year in the winter months I spent 1 day at the range from Oct-Jan(11-2012) and would put 1 box of 550 federals through my Taurus 94 in 1 session after 4-5 hours :)

Attachments

• 22 revolvers.JPG
    22 revolvers.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 158

Mosin44az

Just bought a slightly used one a couple of months ago. About 150 rounds through it, Aguila and CCI.

Perfect function so far, accurate, and I don't even think the trigger pull is bad.

You do have the watch the rear sight and make sure it's on tight!

Obambulate

For a bit more than the Taurus, he can get a Ruger LCR-22, which will be much closer in size, weight, and trigger pull to his 642 Smith.