Taurus 85UL

DIXIEDOG

Anybody got any first hand experience with one of these? Accuracy? Durability? I was looking at a .38 spl and it felt pretty good for an ultra light carry revolver. I currently have plenty of hunting revolvers and haven't had any problems with my Taurus Raging Bull but that is the only Taurus I've ever owned. Just wanted to see the general opinion on this one.

hpg

I have owned a 85UL/SS for 6 years now. I shoot +P's thru it, I don't think it has had anything but +P's run thru it. I have had zero problems with this little 38. It groups really great @10 yards and closer. I haven't shot it any further than that....................hpg

wuluf

i have one too

about 2 years now. very light, no problems. Shooting +p with the stock grips was uncomfortable for me, so i changed to a Hogue grip. i also recommend this holster:
http://www.blackhawk.com/product_image.asp?P=4205&N=1

here's mine:
DSCN0450.jpg

good luck!

Kreyzhorse

Not sure about the ultra light models, but my Model 85 was a piece of junk. Seized up after about 200 rounds. Fairly common problem with Model 85s if you search.

Not sure if the ultra lights do have the same problem, but I'd be sure to do your research prior to buying.

You might just save yourself a lot of money in the long run by buying a more expensive gun right off.

I now carry a Smith & Wesson Airweight. If you steer away from the Taurus, I certainly think the Smith is a gun you should at least look at.

saber9

I have had a 85SSUL for something like three years now. I use it as a carry weapon and probably carry it more often than anything else. I shoot only light or standard velocity .38 in it for practice and carry +P .38 for defensive use. I have not had any problems of any kind with it and have recommended it to others as a lower priced alternative to a J frame S&W.

Ifishsum

I just bought one a few days ago but have yet to shoot it. But if you're gonna get one get it now because the prices are going up quite a bit - my dealer had some old stock left but the new stock 85's (non UL) have gone up about $50 from when I looked three weeks ago. I wasn't planning to buy the UL model but because of the increase I ended up with a blued 85UL for $10 less than the new stock 85s in steel, because it was from an earlier shipment.

DIXIEDOG

Is $310 the going price for new, I've only seen them in 1 shop and that was their price. Is there a much better price out there? Not that I'm cheap but I'm cheap:D

Doug S

Dixie Dog, that price seems about right. I've found the blued ones for a little under $300, and the Stainless versions in the $330 range. If you do decide to get one of these, look it over well before making your decision. I was looking at them a while back, and a local shop had two (1 SS, 1 Blued). The stainless had a terrible fit. The side plate was cut very irregular, and it actually appeared to have gap. I would have bought it if I hadn't noticed this obvious flaw. Turned out good, though, because I found a prelock 642 a few days later for only $30 more.

Ifishsum

The new stock 85s (non-UL) were $320 (up from $270 a few weeks ago). There was one 85UL in stainless that was still $320, but it was the display model and had too much rough handling for me, but they had one blue 85UL left that was $309 and BNIB so I grabbed it. The box was dated 1/31/08 (when my dealer received it). The newer stuff with the higher price was received in March 08.

I don't think there's a much better price out there, I'd jump on it for $310 before someone else does. I'll bet he'll be at $350-360 as soon as he restocks.

Keltyke

Love it!

I have a Taurus 85UL and I love it. I run +Ps for defense and it does kick a little with this hot load. For me, it grips "high" that is, I tend to angle the muzzle upwards a little. You just gotta remember to put the front tang dead leval with the rear notch for accurate shooting. It makes tight groups, and I can put 50 rounds in the 8 or better ring of a B-37 target from 20 feet.

Gerald

Dmanbass

I'm with Keltyke. It does kick a bit! It is not mild. I traded mine cuz I couldn;t take. They are great guns though, just not for me. It all depends on your personal tolerances.

MrTuffPaws

No idea of what you are talking about ;)

CIMG1596.jpg

I carry Golddot short barrel +Ps in it. Kicks like a mule. Harder than my full sized 357 with hot loads.

Great little gun though. Haven't had a single problem with it.