Taurus 856 Defender

I recently purchased an Ultra Lite version of this pistol and I wanted to give my opinion on it.

This is a really great firearm for anyone who likes K-frames but finds them to be a little bit too heavy or a little too big.

This revolver on my scale is 18oz with the Uncle Mike's Boot grip. The Hogue grip it came with was OK after I took it to a belt sander and removed the finger groves. I didn't much care for the Bull's Head Grip that it came with either.

A lot of people report that it doesn't shoot point of aim with the Ameriglow front sight. I found it to be dead on with 162gr cast bullets. I'm sure it's calibrated for 158 grain bullets, but if you don't like it, it can be changed and the box even came with an extra steel sight.

The stock trigger I found good. No heavier than anything else but very stackable. I tried a Galloway Precision spring kit in it which includes a hammer spring and trigger return spring. With the kit installed it wasn't 100% reliable with mixed brass and mixed primers so I kept the trigger spring and put the stock hammer spring back in.

The gun is pretty accurate, not as good as my 3" LCR but acceptable. I tested the throats with some .357 xtps and they fit into each one snuggly.

This is the gun S&W should be making. They used to make K and L frame Bodyguards which were light weight, but now they only offer boat anchors as carry guns in that size. Their M19 Carry Comp weighs 34.2oz with a 3" barrel and costs $1172.00. I purchased mine on Gunbroker for $299.99! And to be honest if someone wanted to trade me straight up for the Smith I wouldn't do it.

pLNPVow.jpg

vQXcpvZ.jpg

jetinteriorguy

I passed on one of these last year, had second thoughts and went back for it but too late. I haven’t seen another one since, but I’m looking.