Taurus 85 vs SW 66

Bullrock

I finally got to the range today! among several others I took along my NIB Smith 66, 2 1/2" .357 and my NIB Taurus 85, 3". I love my Smiths and I'm gonna post them below, just so you good folks won't think I'm trolling.

I put 24 rounds of .357, MagTech 158Gr. and hardly hit a thing at 25 yards. I then shot 24 rounds of Winchester .38Spl 130Gr. with about the same results. The trigger was great, but with .357 my Smith kicked like a mule with high muzzle blast. It was better (as anyone would expect with .38Spl) BUT!!!

The Taurus, (which is a 38Spl.) at 25 yards was terrific! Nice smooth trigger and without adj. rear sights very accurate. I hated to put it down! I would rather own the Smith, but in this case I would rather shoot the Taurus... :D :D
TAURI:
attachment.php

SMITH:
attachment.php

SW29-2 (4")
SW19 (4")
SW66 (4")
SW66 (2 1/2")
SW629mg (4")
SW625jm (4")
SW686 (2 1/2")
SW586-7 (4")
SW686 (6")
Taurus 85 (3")
Taurus 85 UL (2 1/2")
Taurus 92
Colt Python (4")
Colt Lawman (4")
Colt Trooper (4")

Dot_mdb

You're going to get muzzle blast from any brand snubbie when you shoot .357 mag. In my experience S&W snubbies can be very accurate so unless yours has some special problem I would say practice with it a little more. Move the target in closer and make sure the sights are adjusted properly. Also the .357s and .38s will not shoot to the same point of aim and the 158s and the 130s will also place differently on the target.

I have only a very little experience with Taurus revolvers and I have nothing against them. However the 2 1/2" S&W 66 is is a K frame revolver and is probably one of the best snubbies ever built.

Bill

Sir William

OK. I have a similar M85 with the wood grips. I enjoy shooting it also. I use 158 gr JHPs in it with great accuracy. I also have a nickel M19 S&W 357 Magnum. I cannot hit a bullet with a barn using the stock splinter wood grips. Installing Pachmayrs improves the comfort level. I have the same problem with my M65 and my Colt Lawman snubs. Pachmayrs allow me to comfortably shoot 180 gr Winchester Supreme 357 Magnums. Accuracy improves greatly. IOWs, experiment with different grips.

Russ5924

I think any Snub nose is harder to shoot that say a 4 or 6 inch barrel revolver. The sighting plane is so short that any movement at all will throw the gun way off and a stiff trigger will only compound the situation.Have to say when I take my M19 to the range and haven't shot in in some time I am all over the place till I settle down,in fact there are some days I just put it away and hope for a better day.If that 66 is new the trigger will be a little tight until it is shot some, or take it to a gunsmith and have it worked on :p

Russ5924

If YOU didn't buy so many GUNS you wouldn't have this problem :D Are you shooting them SA have found my Taurus have a great trigger in SA but horrible in DA. A few months ago was looking at a Taurus model 85 and did impress me as a nice gun and han a very nice trigger.But I had a choice of the M85 or an almost like new S&W m10. You know what I took,but think I may go for a M85 some time :)

Bullrock

Russ

If YOU didn't buy so many GUNS you wouldn't have this problem
You're right!!! I bought a model 19 two days ago, and that may be it for awhile. Plus I'm selling a few. Also I'm buying older model Smiths used or NIB. That way I can afford more. I think Taurus is a nice revolver for the money. Smith Wesson revolvers are better quality for more money.

I'm also building a collection which my son will sell upon my demise and give the money to my wife. Sorry to be morbid, but us old guys have gotta consider those things...

Regards,

Russ5924

You just have to fool them and live to a hundred.I have already said that I want ALL my guns sold or destroyed.I DO NOT want any relation to have them in life they have shown no interest so I don't want them to have them when I go.They wouldn't know how to take care of them anyway and am sure they don't have any idea how many I own. I think DON"T tell 36 :eek: The two guy I shoot with one is 72 and the other 76 I'm just a kid at 66 :D

Bullrock

Russ

66 is a nice age to be. It gives you more time to buy and shoot more guns. Maybe I will live to be 100. That oughta piss a few people off!!! :D :D