Taurus 82 vs hong kong smith and wesson.

XavierBreath

Here's a vote for the Model 10. They are some sweet shooting guns, and classic. If you keep looking, chances are you will find a used one for under $200. It might be your region, but a $300 surplus Model 10 would gather dust where I'm at. I might be willing to go an extra $25 for the Hong Kong Royal Police markings, (but not C&E markings) but that's about it. Here are my two. Top gun was $179, the bottom gun was $159.
bothModel10-5s.jpg

Marko Kloos

The S&W is a classic and well worth the extra money.

The Taurus is a good gun, but the S&W Model 10 is the .38 Special revolver.

kojak

Think of resale value, too. The model 10 is no more expensive than the Taurus. On top of that most costs for handguns go to the ammunition so why not just choose the better model?

It new

This is a never used gun. And has the hong kong police markings on it.

How durable is the smtih and wesson. And do they still make it. will It be able to take +p or +p+ ammo with out the casing sticking into the cylinder. :confused:

This is going to be my first revolver so i want to get a good one.

XavierBreath

The Royal Hong Kong Police Model 10's were shipped about 1983-1987 and have RHKP on the backstrap. They are pencil barrels, 10-7 unless I'm mistaken. Definitely no lock, and a lanyard ring on the butt.

The Customs and Excise are also Hong Kong guns, have C&E on the backstrap, as well as the badge number, and are the same era. Again, no lock, 10-7 and a lanyard ring.

Here's a thread with info. It seems the going rate for a Hong Kong gun is about $250-$300. Since S&W no longer makes nicely blued lockless guns, chances are the value will no go down if you take care of it.

well

There is only 14 hours left on the bidding :eek: I have never ordered online how do you go about setting something up with an ffl. Any gunstore has one right??

XavierBreath

It's not new. If it has the C&E or RHKP markings, it was sent half way around the globe, and then returned to the United States. When they came back, they came in blue plastic boxes. It looks good, but not $70 better than what you would get from Impact or Lew Horton. I will wager that is where this seller got his............and I'll wager his auction closes without a bid.

Bullrock

I saw that gun and didn't bid on it. When you posted I didn't remember why. I used the link on your post and then I remembered.
We ensure this item is in stock at the beginning
of the auction. However, inventories do shift and we cannot 100% guarantee
immediate availability, some items are also available in the shop and may
sell in shop therefore not being available. Please call shop to check
before bidding. In the unlikely case of a back order, we will honor
the auction price and ship your item as quickly as possible. If rush delivery
is needed, please contact us toll free: 888-207-2220

Sir William

You can pick those S&W M10-7s up for $250.00 in Gander Mountains and other stores. I have three. A RHKP and a C&E. I have a older M10 RHKP also. That revolver pictured seems to be a rebuild. There are different lanyard rings on all my S&Ws. My Colt RHKP has that round lanyard ring though. I would dare say the price is over the top. These should be in a S&W oiled kraft paper wrap, include a cleaning kit in plastic and enclosed in a blue cardboard box. Papers and a plastic trigger block should be inside the cardboard box. My own revolvers included leather holsters.

RHKP S&W. It's got the markings which shows provenance and S&W is a superior gun to Taurus. Look at the parts diagram to both and you'll see for yourself.

Bullrock

Just One Question

How come you always ask more than just one question... ;)
The Hong Cong Special your looking at is up to $339.00 with 16 hours to go on the auction. It looks like it is in pretty good shape. My problem would be, is that the gun you'll be bidding on, or some other in less condition. I'd call the seller and find out...
attachment.php
Good Luck

Last edited:

XavierBreath

The "crack" is supposed to be there. It is the joint between the frame and yoke.
Seriously though J1Q, $389 is to much for a Model 10. They are great revolvers, and someday may be worth that, but you can find beautiful ones for under $200 at most pawn shops. Even in the crookedest pawnshop I wouldn't expect to see one over $300. Check the pawn shop circuit in your area.