Taurus 731UL or 85UL?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I am considering getting a 731UL for pocket carry but have several questions.

1. I've shot one with Federal SWC loads and recoil was so mild that I could shoot it double action without my hand getting beat up. Would that mild recoil be replaced with 38Spl level of kick if I fire Georgia Arms 100gr loads? The main reason for considering 32H&R is to cut down on recoil...will the difference be significant enough to go with the less common and more expensive ammo?

2. Is 731UL really the same size as 85UL or is it smaller? I used to have an 85UL and recall it being too big for pocket carry...but it was so long ago, I can't remember the details. The cylinder is supposedely the same size in both, what about the grip?

3. I can get decent 38Spl JHP for about $5/50 (!) while 32H&R would run closer to $12/50 and be much harder to find. Would anyone deem benefits of 32Mag to be so compelling as to embark on this logistics nightmare?

4. 731UL is ported and the front sight is part of the barrel. This means it will get sooty fast. It also means that the sights cannot be adjusted should POI not correspond to POA. Would folks with 731s comment on how well the sights are regulated, esp. with carry ammo? Has anyone had any success with making the front blade more visible (paint, tritium inserts?) In daytime, slow flire, I could hit a pop can at 13-15 yards...but would like to have some vestiges of accuracy in low light, rapid fire.

5. Any other issues with 731UL or 32Mag round? Is it worth the trouble over a five-shot 38 of similar dimensions and heft?

sox

Oleg, those are some great questions, many of which I ask myself. I searched for the ideal load with my Titanium 342, and stumbled on some 3-D DEWC or double end wadcutter. They were 100grains all lead@ 750FPS, which is about 125FPE. These were super tolerable, even in the Ti frame! I had inquired about a tritium front conversion from IWI and they quoted about $60.00 to place a single front tritium tube. I wish the ammo manufacturers would look at the market and develop a .38 special with a 60-80 grain sabot. Then it would have: centerfire/revolver reliability, controllability, and velocity all in a super lightweight platform. Good luck.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Random answers:

The 85 and the 731 are identical except in bore diameter and the number and size of the holes in the cylinder.

85gr Federal JHP's recoil pretty much identically to the LSWC's you shot, and the Georgia Arms loads aren't too much worse; definitely milder recoil than most any .38 Spl load I'd carry.

Have you considered reloading?

Also, for plinking/practice purposes, you can shoot .32 Long.

Kentucky Rifle

Oleg...

I have two .32 H&R Magnum snubs. One is a 731UL which was tuned at the factory. It's VERY nice.
1) I usually shoot Federal 85gr HP or the GA 100gr stuff. Recoil is easy.
2) Same size as my wife's Ti 85. Grips are nice soft rubber. I also bought some silverwood grips like Tamara's, but it felt a little slick so I put the rubber grips back on.
3) Around Louisville the .32 mag ammo is easy to find. It's everywhere.
4) Pretty accurate & POI is close to POA. The sights are a little difficult to see for me. (Even before the soot. Gray sights on a gray barrel. I'm not sure how to change that.
5) Oleg-I really like the .32 H&R magnum cartridge. People always come back with, "But you have so many OTHER choices in .38 special". That's true, but I really like my .32 mags. Strong, light recoil, easy to shoot, accurate--what more could you ask for? I believe the 731UL weighs in at 16 or 17 ounces. Nice shooter. VERY NICE TRIGGER!! Holds six cartridges too, instead of five.
Try it, you'll like it.

KR