Taurus 608; Worth the Gamble??

Wheel-Gunner

I have been wanting an 8-shot .357 for quite some time. I don't want to go with a S&W 627 mostly due to the lock, and the price isn't encouraging. A while back I came across a used pre-lock 627 at a local gun shop. Had to think about the $$$ for a night. Went back the next day to get it.....gone! :eek: :mad:

So due to the internal lock, a modern 627 is out (silly to some, but I just can't stand them). That leaves me with the Taurus 608. Is it worth the gamble? I have been browsing through various reviews. Generally the 608 may be one of the better Taurus options, but there are still reported issues with the cylinder locking up.

Anyways, hard question for you guys to answer I guess. Part of me just wants to roll the dice hoping that I get a good one. Another part of me thinks I should just grab my 686+, settle for 7 rounds and ride off into the sunset.

Thoughts?? Experiences?? Insight?? Advice?? Ridicule??

Waspinator

You do realize that all Taurus revolvers also have a lock on them? It is located on the rear of the hammer, instead of the side like a Smith. I guess you would have to ask yourself if you trust a Taurus locking system or a Smith locking system.

from Taurus:
Taurus Security System (TSS)rs
Taurus family of semi-auto pistols all feature the Taurus Security System, which provides instant-ready defense with built-in ability to secure your pistol and make it inoperable at the turn of a key. When the Security System is engaged, the pistol cannot be fired or cocked and the gun's manual safety cannot be disengaged. As with our revolver Security System, the device is part of the firearm and cannot be lost, and the same special Security Key works for both the revolver and pistol Systems (two keys come with each gun). To engage: simply insert the Key into the button on the rear or side of the pistol and rotate one-quarter turn clockwise. This engages the Security System. The manual safety cannot be moved and the trigger cannot be pulled. To disengage: simply rotate the key one-quarter turn back. This releases the Security System, yet leaves the pistol's manual safety in the "safe" position until you are ready to release it yourself and fire the gun.

Also, the Taurus 608 models, I beleive, are all ported barrels... Me, I don't like the noise and backwash of the ported barrels.

So, keep the above in mind when factoring options/pros/cons between the two. A lot of people own and love their Taurus revolvers,but They do seam a bit iffy on the QC.

If you already own a 686+ 7-shot.. I think I would rather spend the money on a bunch of ammo instead ;)

Wheel-Gunner

Yep, Taurus has a lock, but it isn't on the side of the gun. The placement for the Taurus lock I can live with. S&W, ugh, let me just drill a hole in your front left fender of your (choose favorite) car. :confused: But I digress, the S&W lock has been discussed ad nauseam.

357 Terms

Yep, Taurus has a lock, but it isn't on the side of the gun.

If you would rather have a Taurus 608 than a 627 Smith simply because of the placement of the lock than...well, I'll be diplomatic and say

..buy the Taurus

I have a 627 V-comp and I have shot two different 608's, the 608's were ok, one spit lead and or powder through the cylinder gap, neither were comparable the 627.

But hey, if you cant live with the placement of the lock, then you will have to live with the Taurus:D

PoiDog

I had a 608 maybe 10 years ago. It worked fine, and I had no issues. I didn't like the porting either, but it was there and I lived with it.

I sold it to a friend when I was looking for a .357 rifle. He loves the thing even after the 10 years have gone by.

I didn't even notice if there was a lock to be honest. I ignore locks on whatever gun they might come on. No kids here, and guns are in a safe. Don't need locks.

I'm not sure why Taurus likes porting so much, but in my opinion it isn't needed on a large frame .357 like the 608. Maybe on a snub nose it would be worthwhile.

lee n. field

You do realize that all Taurus revolvers also have a lock on them? It is located on the rear of the hammer, instead of the side like a Smith. I guess you would have to ask yourself if you trust a Taurus locking system or a Smith locking system.

Have you examined Taurus' hammer mounted lock?

It ain't coming loose by itself.

I trust it.

pete2

Never ever take a Taurus over a S&W, lock or no lock the S&W will be 10 times better than any Taurus, even if the Taurus works.

bedbugbilly

+1 ^

You buy a Smith, you get a Smith . . .

You buy a Taurus . . . . . well . . . you get a "Taurus" . . . so if that's what you really want, why worry about what others think?

I'd never take a Taurus over a Smith . . but that's just me. I am always amazed at those who have a "fit" about the IL on a Smith - it can be removed and plugged it it bothers a person that much. It's kind of hard to find a handgun now that doesn't have a IL - I've had 'em on Bersa, Ruger, Smith, etc. and never had a problem with them. I just ignore 'em. I hear the excuse that they "can lock themselves" . . . well, a semi-auto can jam, hand loads, if not crimped properly can allow bullets to move and jam cylinders on revolvers . . . the list goes on and on. The argument against the Smith IL is about as ridiculous as those who don't like loaded chamber indicators . . . unfortunately, those things, IL, LCI, etc. are here to stay, like it or not.

Not much different than choosing a Ford over a Chevy or vise versa . . everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

skizzums

why so much animosity over taurus? ive never had an issue with mine, i believe taurus t be great brand for the cost

now i wouldnt trade a smith for it if the value of it is way more than the taurus

lee n. field

When did Taurus start doing this to all of their pistols?

A number of years ago.

why so much animosity over taurus? ive never had an issue with mine, i believe taurus t be great brand for the cost

I'm waiting on a grip screw I ordered from them. Hasn't shown up yet, I suspect it may not. If my card is charged, it will be "eerily reminiscent" of my experience with a Taurus part order a decade ago.

In other words, customer service issues.

Kreyzhorse

In my experience, their questionable QC and even more questionable CS is the cause for so much animosity.

It isn't that Taurus can't make a good gun, but they also make a lot of bad ones and when bad, they can be very bad and it can be nightmare to get Taurus to fix it.

Auto5

The issue with Taurus seems to be inconsistent quality control. This applies to various periods of manufacture as well as various models. I have a model 85 from the early '90s. Lockup is tight; cylinder gap is as good as my J frame Smith and consistent with each chamber. Trigger is better than acceptable. I treat even a new Taurus the same way I would treat a suspect used gun and give it the same critical examination. Bring your bore light, magnifying glass and feeler gauge set. If you get a good one, it will give you many years of trouble free service. Just to be fair, I see a lot of problems with modern Smiths too, especially the budget models.

rabbit hunter

Taurus

I have had 4 Taurus revolvers (still have 3). One is a very good shooter. Two are fair. One was absolute junk. None have a trigger equivalent to Smith. If you get a good one, you get your money's worth.

Shadi Khalil

I've owned four Taurus revolvers and each one had issues. The worst of the bunch was the 617 which was a 7 shot revolver. I would by the S&W over the Taurus in a heart beat. If money was a factor, I'd get a Ruger GP100 and live with 6 shots.

bikerbill

I wouldn't take a Taurus over a Smith ... fortunately, I have both a beloved 686+ and a Taurus 617, the 7-shot .357 snubbie.

My Taurus needed some help when I got it. Scratchy trigger action and the cylinder locked up after two or three refills. I took it to a 'smith and for $85 got an amazing trigger job -- and he opened the cylinder-barrel gap a tad. Voila! Slick-as-snot trigger, no stacking, no grit .. and the gun never locks up. I love shooting it; not as much as the 686+, but enough to keep it around as one of my HD guns and one of the guns I almost always take on a trip to the range ...

Taurus has an iffy reputation with a lot of shooters. I've had three, including the first gun I ever owned, a model 85, which I still have after 20-plus years and keep in my car when I'm not carrying on my body because of my destination, etc. I sold a PT-25, but only because I was tired of stocking another caliber of ammunition. It worked perfectly for the three or or so years I owned it. I'd buy another Taurus without question; for the money (even if it takes a few extra bucks to fix some glitch) they are well worth it.

Sevens

Thoughts?? Experiences?? Insight?? Advice?? Ridicule??
Nicely put! ;)

A Taurus is simply going to be hit or miss, in my experience. Some of them can be good guns. Many of them need an awful lot of help to even be acceptable guns. Their reputation for service seems to be improving, but on the other hand, it only had one direction to go. :(

I also do not care for S&W revolvers with the ILS. Not because of the ILS (no, really!) but because I like older S&W revolvers.

However, if the price and availability were similar, I'd laugh at anyone suggesting a Taurus over the Smith & Wesson, even the ILS-equipped Smith & Wesson.

I currently have just one Taurus revolver. It's a 7-shot .357 Magnum Model 66. On the plus side, it's wildly accurate. It's a good lookin' handgun that has a great finish that cleans easily and never shows wear. I also really love the feel and contour of the trigger itself. The trigger pull ain't the worst thing ever, but it's no match for any of my S&W revolvers.

Annoyances & issues: the screw that holds the crane in place is maddening. If you tighten it even a HAIR too much, it won't let the cylinder swing out freely and/or all the way. If you loosen it even a tiny bit too much, it manages to screw up the cylinder advance/timing. It sometimes works itself loose. And the tolerance for headspace with loaded rounds is extremely thin. Some ammo just angers it and it doesn't want to move freely. None of these things happen with any S&W revolver I've ever owned in any size, frame, or chambering, EVER.

I bought it because a buddy had no use for it and I didn't spend a lot on it. I figured I would simply beat it in to oblivion. It doesn't really fill a "need" for me, but I like to use it as a test mule for chronographing handloads.

In my experience, some Taurus guns can be good guns. But if you pine for a S&W 627 and you end up buying a Taurus to scratch that itch, I just don't see you happy in the long run. But who knows. Maybe?!

skizzums

i will definetly buy another taurus at some point, just got a rossi 92 last weekend and so far works great, but i guess the lesson learned from all the complaints is that i probably will not buy a second-hand taurus unless i get range time with it first