Taurus 608 --- Are they any good?

OkieGentleman

Does anyone have any experience with this pistol. I know that some of Taurus's newer guns have been judged by some of you as not too bad. How about this 8-shot in SS and 4inch barrel?
I am looking at recommending something for my non-shooting younger sister, to keep next to the bed and pack when she goes out into the wilds of Utah on Search and Rescue missions for lost hikers and such.
I like the fact that it is SS and it is an 8 shot. This will make for a low maintence weapon and it will give her 2 extra shots.
She is not going to shoot the heck out of this, unless she gets the bug, and it is selling for about half of a comparable *&* or Colt. But if she does shoot it she can practice with 38 Spec and carry .357. That should keep recoil from beating it and her to death.
How is the trigger and can it be smoothed by the local Gunsmith without too much trouble?
Comments or if anyone knows where some evaluations on the net might be they would be appeciated.
Thanks for your assistance.

The stainless or titanium Tracker is a smaller, lighter firearm. One less in the cylinder, but who cares. The 608 is a very large heavy firearm and I would think that most women would find the grips and overall size of this gun intimidating. Even if not the Tracker, there are many better options than the 608.

As a added note, a 357 Magnum in the woods Utah is false security against angry critters with claws and teeth. That is first hand information, I was attacked by a cougar. The 357 Magnum I shot him with was not enough to stop him. The cougar stopped only after the accumulation of JHP was starting to hurt and he ran off at full stride. Coyotes found him a few days later before I did, a few hundred yards from were he was shot.

Robert

denfoote

I would assume that the 608 is much like the 605, which I have. Yeah they are good. Kick a$$ recoil with mag loads though. I had mine ported. I think that it is a good idea.:)

Ezeckial

I've owned a Model 607 (predessesor to the 608) for several years. It's the only Taurus of that vintage I didn't have trouble wth (admittedly, haven't shot it all that much).

The Tracker is a better gun (I own a stainless version) for size and handling. The double lockup, on both ends of the cylinder, suggest in may be more durable then the earlier models.
My 607 has the 6" barrel, the Tracker (Model 627) has a 4" ported barrel. The Tracker is definately more fun and easier to shoot well.

I wouldn't put the extra money into the Ti version, however. Besides the recoil being stouter, the size of the gun requires a good holster on the hip...you'd never notice the extra 12 oz. of the stainless Tracker (over the Ti version).

Coolray

My Taurus trigger was reduced and smoothed out by a wolf spring kit I Installed in about 5 minutes. $14.95 for the kit. I have several revolvers and my Taurus is my favorite.