Taurus 605 Glitch

jdscholer

My buddy gave me his Taurus 605 snubby to play with for awhile, and asked me if I thought it had a serious problem.

The problem was that it often was reluctant to lock up to the "in battery" position. The cylinder release button wouldn't snap back reliably, and this not only prevents the cylinder from safely locking shut, but thankfully prevents the gun from firing.

I took the side plate off, and things didn't look too bad in there, but when I did the ol WD-40 douche out, I did flush some metal particles out. I did this a few times along with blast-offs with canned air, and then saturated everything with REM-OIL, and reassembled the thing.

It now works great, and I can't get it to malfunction.

One problem this little pistol doesn't have, is with accuracy. It shoots great. At 50 yds., my 14" gong is dead meat---er steel. I've been running mostly 38's through it, and the 158 casts shoot POA from close out to further than I can reliably do my part. I did sit down and rest my arms on my knees, and hit the gong four out of five shots at ninety yards.

The trigger is --- not too bad, but I think with a few thousand snaps it could get better.

Mrs. jd and I are planning on getting a couple of S&W 640's for our ccw's, but if I was to run into one of these 605's for a deal, I might pick it up. jd

Jkwas

It seems like a lot of so called problems in these guns can be attributed to gunk in the works. My cylinder release started to get "notchy". I cleaned and lubed the release and everything I could think to do but it was still there. Turns out it was the center pin in the extractor starting to stick. Removed the extractor and pin, cleaned out all the gunk, de-burred the hole the pin goes thru with a drill bit (by hand, not in the drill), lubed it, re-assembled it, and now it's perfect. Sometimes it's just a matter of maintenance :)

Laker

My 605 has been flawless from day one. Love the gun, and carry it daily. Some do need cleaned and lubed out of the box, but thats easy enoigh to do.

lee n. field

My 605 has been flawless from day one.

Ditto.

I did have the sideplate off once. I did not find any grease, crud, metal shavings, etc. that people sometimes report. (Taking the sideplate off is not something that should be done casually on this gun.)

jdscholer

I just returned the 605 to its permanent home today, and I'm gonna miss it. It is the first snub I have spent much time with, and I was pleasantly surprised. They really can shoot well.

This revolver weighs 23 ounces, and is very manageable with the 38's I've been shooting. Full power 357's get a little harsh after a couple of cylinders. I'd been looking at some of the models with alloy frames that weigh about a half pound less, but now I'm kinda thinking--- Naahh. I'm not exactly a big weenie about recoil, but I like to shoot my guns too much for it to be painful. And I really don't want my chick, Mrs. jd to think that shooting has to hurt.

Right now the Smith 640 is looking pretty good to us, but I'd still pick up one of the Taurus 605's if one happened along that needed a home. jd

Piper Cub

I have a problem with accuracy with my all snubbies at 100 yards. But then my eyes are not what are not the best and I hate wearing glasses..

Laker

A snbbie at 100 yards? They aren't meant for long distance shooting. I don't my old eyes can see that far without a scope.