Taurus 605 .357 Magnum

Druggie

Yesterday I bought a new Taurus 605 .357 Magnum (5-shot, polished stainless, rubber grip, 2-1/4" barrel, with hammer) for $280. I usually carry a S&W 337 AirLite Ti .38, but I wanted a "small cannon" in my wife's junk drawer in the kitchen. She has a Taurus 85 ULT .38 which compliments my S&W.

I inspected the 605 very closely, and it is extremely well constructed--very tight clearances, no flaws in the finish, EXCEPTIONAL DA trigger pull. I'll take it to the creek on Sunday afternoon to shoot it for the first time.

Anyone out there have one of these little beauties? Taurus makes a jillion revolvers--all types of styles, finishes, and materials. I never really ever noticed this gun, but I have small hands, and when I picked it up, it felt like PART of my hand...and it has a full length grip...as opposed to the short-gripped .38 snubbies. It weighs around 24.5 oz. unloaded, so I would carry it in my inside coat pocket if I wanted a little more jolt than the .38 spl.

How about recoil? Accuracy? Durability? Any help would be appreciated.

John Boone
Lawton, OK:D

neal bloom

My wife bought one two weeks ago. Using Winchester 125 grain WinCleans it has some resounding kick and bark. My wife really likes it. I had heard stories about Taurus quality but I am impressed with the quality of the 605. It does have a good feel to it. I have run about 25 rounds through it and I like it. My wifer has run about 100 rounds through it and she feels more comfortable with it at each session.

It is reasonably accurate. For a personal defense weapon not much more I would ask for.

Nice gun for the value. Looks like you got a great deal for $280.00

xcop

I have a 605 ported model. I think it's a great revovler. I have a dozen or so snubs with fixed sights and I think this is the only one that actually puts the bullet where the sights are. Shooting 357 with the ported gun is very controllable and I am not aware of any flash being directed up in front of my face. I changed out the springs for some lighter wolf springs, which made a big difference. Even if your gun is not ported I think for the money you got a great gun........they really are cheap compared to smiths or even ruger.

denfoote

I have a 605. It is my carry revolver.
The first time I shot it with .357MAG loads, I got a nasty cut on my hand from the recoil!! That convinced me to send it back to Taurus to get the barrel ported!! I also had my gunsmith put red inserts on the front sight. That improved the accuracy a great deal. No problems with durability so far. It is a good stout workhorse revolver!! :D I load mine with 125gr Quick Shoks.

FXR

Yep, I've got one; congratulations on yours!

I've found it to be reasonably accurate (groups of about 2.5-3.0 inches at 25 yards, slow fire, from sandbags), fair DA trigger, nice SA trigger. I put Hogue grips on it and have settled on it as a "keeper".

I like the .357 caliber, since it gives lots of .38/.357 ammo options. Kind of a flamethrower in full-dose .357 magnum loads, but sometimes that's the kind of mood you're in! It also fulfills the same purpose as "stun grenade" in home defense situations.

Nice revolver, good value for the money. Hope you end up keeping yours. I've had mine for 6 years.

K