Taurus .45 Colt Tracker?

Grapeshot

Can anyone give us a review/range report on theirs?

I have been secretly wanting one of these for a while as a smaller, lighter replacement for my Redhawk, which is heavier than I like to carry hunting or for occasional CCW.

Thanks.

Brian Williams

I have one and it is excellent. It is a 4" with 5 shot cylinder. With win silvertips 225gr I am getting 4" groups off a knee rest while sitting and with a rest I am a little better. My handloads are in a paper plate at 50 yds from a sitting restover my knees.

Mine has a very strong trigger pull but it is smooth all the way thru. I want to get some wolf springs to lighten it a little.

It is by no means a S&W fit and finish but I did not pay for a S&W but a Taurus. The side plate is smooth fitting and a nice tight fit with no slop. The cylinder is nicely finished inside and the cases fall out the first 4 or 5 cylinders full. the lockup is nice and tight with no front to back or side to side movement but a tiny bit of rotational movement.

With my handloads of 255 gr SWC the recoil is a solid hit which is taken up by the gripper grips and muzzle flip is a minimum due to the porting.

Comparing it to my S&W 66 for size comparision the Tracker is a little bit smaller length and heightwise and the cylinder is about the same. It is a lighter gun than the 65 due to bigger holes in the barrel and cyl.

I am planning on carrying it for white tails this year as a close range 50 yds and under gun this year and as I see what I can do with it over the next year I might move out further.

Overall it is a keeper!!!!!

BTW this is my 2nd tracker, my other is a 6" 357. and it is a keeper also

Grapeshot

Wow, thanks for posting!

But one question, since you have both a 4" and a 6" Tracker - which do you think balances better? I'm trying to decide between the 2 .45 Colts - for carrying ease I'd much prefer the 4" but the 6" would be alot easier to hit with.

I guess I'm asking, does the 6" feel muzzle-heavy?

Thanks again!

Jhp147

moon clips

How are the Taurus type moon clips working out? I think it was in S.W.A.T. that someone mentioned the rounds shaking loose or coming out when dropped. Good looking gun in the ads. Wish I "needed" one.

Brian Williams

trackers!

I love 4" revolvers! That said the 6" is a 357 and is much more barrel heavy than the 45 6", which I compared at the shop. The 4" is so nice to carry, even for CCW, that I went with it. I do not plan on using it past 50 yds which is where I can hit with it. but the 6" would help past that with the extra sight radius.

Does the 6" version in 45 Colt feel muzzle heavy? Not to me I just like 4" barrels on my Revos

JHP147, The 45 Colt version does not use the moon clips.

Grapeshot

thanks Perfesser.

But to tell you the truth, I found a Smith 686 (used) at a bargain price I just couldn't pass up, so there went my Tracker money. The guy had gotten laid off and was selling his like-new gun for $350.

As much as I wanted the Taurus, I like what I ended up with better as it is so accurate it is downright spooky. Though of course, it's not as fun to deal with as a .45 Colt!

Again, thanks for your input, when I can I'll pick up a used 6" Tracker I think.

Brian Williams

Too much cartridge, not enough gun.

Wrong, it is a fun gun to shoot, not like the complaints I hear about ultra lite snubbies hurting someones hand or some monster 454 blasting into ones knuckles or an uberpistol with a huge mega cap mag.

Loaded up with 255 gr LRNFP or LSWC this gun is a gas to shoot. The 4" Tracker in 45 colt is one of the guns that is always in my range bag, right next to my 4" S&W 65. I shoot between 20 to 50 rounds thru it every week, no problem withit hurting my hand or blasting thru my ear protection. Just some good old fashioned large caliber blasting.

I shoot more 357 cause it is cheaper, even reloading, and I carry a 357.

besides the Taurus is better looking than a clunky Ruger any day, it has lines more like a S&W or a Colt.

Grapeshot

Hey Weshoot, appreciate the informed remarks.

Hope you don't take too much offense at my sig. line, I was just feeling wacky that day.

WESHOOT2

WACKY 2

I like funny stuff.

As for the ?, I still think it's more cartridge than the gun can handle. 20 to 50 rds a STAGE is more my style :eek: .

But, your results may vary. Certainly no dissing to any who like theirs; just IMNSLE any 'serious' shooting will render the T-gun junk in a very short time (one rd?).

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! One GOOD rd :D .

Still better than rocks..........

I've never looked at any of my guns, so I guess I don't much care about 'looks'.
Actually, I don't care about 'looks' at all.